Boardgaming in 2019!

Well, for starters, a lot of that experience is with missing target dates. :P

I think part of it is having a lot of big, crazy-detailed minis to be picky about production on, but they’re getting better about that side of things. In this case, I think they were only a few months past original estimates and ready to get going during the summer and then Arthur Petersen managed to make a pretty enormous mistake that led to a bunch of printed materials for the game being printed on flimsier material than they were supposed to be. It’s being corrected, but it’s a huge project and the factory wasn’t geared up to fix the mistake because they (not unreasonably) thought they were done and ready to move on to something else.

Why are Sandy’s games so expensive? I’ve seen the games and while cool, if you just reduced the size of the mini you’d be in so much better shape for selling more items. As much as they are charging I would hope for better artwork.

They’re expensive because they have massive, detailed sculpts and lots of them, and I suspect they’re also not being printed in such numbers that they can get the sort of major volume discount a Hasbro or even Fantasy Flight would command. As you say, sure, they could do smaller minis. But that’s not what they set out to make, and ridiculously huge minis are kind of their signature these days even if they wanted to scale back. Which I’ve seen no sign they do. It’s not a big business, they don’t have shareholders to placate, it’s him and his kids and a few other employees. They’ve pretty clearly got an audience and a business model that both lets them do what they want to do and get paid well enough to keep doing it, so why would they need to expand that by veering away from the sort of minis that make them happy?

(As an avowed miniatures curmudgeon, I would much rather play their games for a lot less. But I’d opt for ditching the minis entirely. If I’m gonna have to have them, I like how Sandy does it.)

Anyone bite (heh) on the Alien Boardgame? This is as close as I got to it…

Which one. I have the AVP game.

I guess but AR wasn’t a big gaming company used ks to sell games and I just think their stuff looks sooo much better. That said, do I buy Glorantha or just play Tom’s copy?

I think it was just called Alien

Other than the legendary card game, the other aliens game, aliens: another glorious day in the corps! got pushed back to next year. Supposedly, weyland will have copies on the 27th but looks like February for everyone else.

This makes me happy I still have my copy. How many people did you play it with, and do you have any idea how it plays solo?

I got my order from Goblinko the other day. Dungeon Degenerates is soon in my future, unfortunately I’ll have to wait until Christmas. I love watching Tom’s play through so at least I have that to distract me. I can’t believe how much enjoyment I’ve gotten out of watching someone play a boardgame.

Watching the videos it does seem like a game best played solo or maybe 2 people with two characters each. Either way I’m looking forward to it.

Glorantha is great! But I have no interest in owning my own copy at that price. Friends with expensive games are the best!

Glorantha is the name of the setting, which has been around for 40ish years and has a metric ton of RPGs, supplements, novels etc based on it, as well as classic videogame King of Dragon Pass and new spiritual followup Six Ages. If you want a short way to refer to the giant Petersen Games boardgame, I recommend The Gods’ War, which will lead to far less confusion.

Two, playing one character each. It would be fine solo but it sounds like single character play solo is balls hard and you might want to at least two hand it.

Hmm, so you are saying I should give Bruce a call when I get back from Christmas travel ;)

Just realised I must have selected ‘single shipment’ so apparently the core pledge I was looking forward to won’t arrive until August at the earliest. I figured core game = 1 shipment I guess. Sigh… :P

Well, the core pledge also included I think two other full campaigns unlocked as stretch goals and those aren’t done yet. Only thing that shipped so far is the initial campaign and the monster minis addon.

Yeah I realise that now, but in pledge manager way back I guess I didn’t! Ah well. :D

That is what i picked with Nemesis. Single shipment. Got it 8 months after the people that picked multi shipments yet I only got the main game. I almost bought the game multiple times before it actually showed up but somehow I held back.

Announcing

The Hollow Crown

a Kingmaker Play By Forum Game.

Kingmaker is an Avalon Hill maximum 7 Player light diplomacy and negotiation wargame set during the Wars of the Roses. Players seek to use their factions to crown the final Yorkist or Lancastrian claimant to the throne as King or Queen of England. Looking for Seven Players. I’ll be moderating. I’ll be organizing the game now, and it should kick off before or after Christmas (whenever the Westphalia PBF is concluded).

Please PM me or respond here to me and I’ll sign you up.

BGG Link here:

I don’t think he’s down with saying his name, IIRC. Dunno about writing it.

Update. We have five. Need (or have room for) two more.