Boardgaming in 2019!

NPI (British game reviewers I enjoy watching) love the game… but think it’s not a very good game. Does that help? :)

The review is worth watching to get an idea of how it plays.

Everything I’ve read about Gen 7 says, steer clear, but I then again I didn’t really like Dead Winter. I know they’re different games. Watch the No Pun Intended review.

For Gen7? Yeah. That one also convinced me to steer clear. I’ve consistently heard similar things from other reviewers.

I’ve decided legacy games are just not for me. No matter how good or bad the claim to be.

I avoid them because they are always an attempt to “mix up” a preexisting bad game.

I clearly lived in the wrong apartments in my single past!

Interesting. Because of the time / group commitment? I would never go that far.

While not Legacy, my family and I are having a ball playing through Gloomhaven. that one puts the time commitment of most legacy games to shame.

And we recently got Betrayal Legacy and are loving the legacy aspect of previous games coming back to haunt you (pun intended) in later years. And, by all accounts, it is considered the superior entry in the “Betrayal” series.

And then, we met new friends locally who are also into boardgames. So the plan is to play through Pandemic Legacy Season 1 with them this year. By all accounts, it’s going to be a lot of fun.

That said, I do find it much easier to fit single session, non legacy games in my life. I’d never swear off Legacy games though.

Always?

Maybe, but sometimes it works.

Which one is good?

Keep in mind, contra to consensus, I do not like Pandemic.

I don’t either, but Pandemic: Legacy was great. or season 1 was anyway.

Also to be fair a few of the Legacy games are in fact not remixes at all. Those are, by and large, not being as well received.

As @malkav11 said, even people who do not enjoy Pandemic tend to enjoy Pandemic Legacy (at least season 1) a lot more.

I mentioned the ones we are playing in my post above. Gloomhaven is a campaign game more than legacy maybe. But it fits the bill for me. As for Betrayal Legacy, it is just awesome at creating a continuing history of a haunted mansion, with the players recording the various ways their family members met their demise on their family cards.

Of the games coming out in the future, I’m looking forward to hearing more about Clank Legacy because I enjoy the base game. But I obviously don’t yet whether it will be a good one.

Risk: Legacy is awesome. I never thought I’d say that about a Risk game, but here we are.

Pandemic Season 1 was amazing. Season 2 was disappointing. I liked the mechanic changes, where you had to put cubes on rather than take them off, but the game dragged in the middle and the ending was just weird.

That one is one of my few disappointments. I managed 2 games with my sons after it came out. But then they lost interest and got distracted by other games. They don’t spend as much time at my place playing boardgames these days. So my 3 player campaign has been sitting on a shelf for over 2 years. And I have no clue whether it would have turned out enjoyable or not. I can’t even sell it since we have scribbled our names on the map and started putting stickers on it.

Ouch, yeah, that’s terrible. Maybe I’m painting a rosier picture in hindsight- it was the first of these sorts of things, so there is the novelty factor gong on. But man, my group blew through all 15 (or whatever) games in a little over a month or something. And every time things started to slow down or get into some sort of stasis, bam something new would come out of left field. The mechanics were simple enough that everyone knew what they were doing, and we would just play.it was great.

Partially the time commitment the experience from my game group goes something like this.
The games are never that great.
The “legacy” is never that rewarding and when it’s over you never ever ever want to go back and play it again.

I wonder how many charter stone reset kits sold with the inital release before people played vs after players had finished game.

I haven’t played Betrayal and I would try it, but honestly if I don’t play it I don’t mind. Gloomhaven did nothing for me. Is that a legacy game or just a campaign game? Honestly, If I’m going to invest the time/money/shelfspace required for Gloomhaven, I’m playing D&D.

Don’t get me wrong. I see the appeal of the games and I don’t fault anyone for enjoying them, just not for my group.

I’m with Wendelius when it comes to Legacy games. I’ve played 5 of them if Gloomhaven counts and only regretted Seafall. They comprise much less of my playtime than non-Legacy games, but I think I’ll want a consistent diet of one or two a year going forward.

Strangely, I haven’t played any of the Euro Legacy games despite that being by far my favorite game style normally. I just don’t have that much interest in Legacy games that aren’t co-op right now. Making long term decisions with lasting ramifications just seems more fun when we’re all doing it together.

It’s been an interesting year so far for gaming. I know we’re only 3 months in, but this seems to be an Expansion Year. Tons of great games are getting add-ons. There are 0 games that have been announced and are realeaseing this year that I’m jumping to buy.

Expansions that look good:
Nemesis
Lord of Hellas
Trickerion
Western Legend
Anachrony
Star Wars Armada
Food Chain Magnate
Euphoria
Zhanguo
Maderia
Caverna
Feast For Odin

Hosting a number of games on Gamestorm in Portland next week. Lots of the games are filling up but a few slots are still open if you happen to be heading that way. Love to see you :)

3/28
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Rising Sun Game
Marvel Strike Teams

3/29
DOOM: The Board Game 2nd edition
Big Trouble in Little China: The Game
Defenders of the Last stand
Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats

3/30
Justice League: Dawn of Heroes
Lords of Hellas