Boardgaming in 2019!

I remember liking the book. Pretty inventive. It helps a little if you like epistolary novels, which I very much do.

Edit: Ooh, with art by the Nemo’s War guy. I love the style of that game.

Who would want to be Portishead or… Redruth… who I don’t even remember and I read it like a few months ago? Googling says she just shows up at the end and doesn’t really get fleshed out, which would explain not remembering her.

Good lord. Who on earth would want to sit down with this at a game night?

Players play nurses of a terminally ill hospital patient with days to live as they try to get him to tell his big life regrets.

This thing actually got a retail release with copies at local stores.

Not every game can be about trains.

I’m actually glad that this kind of game can find a home. It’s nice to see different kinds of ideas and themes explored through the medium.

More power to them, but I’m firmly in the “no thanks, not for me” category.

Of course I also mostly feel that way about trains and trading goods in a port town.

Played the first two or three scenarios of it last year. It’s an interesting concept that deals with a theme that many will relate to. The gameplay of managing time felt too disconnected for us to prioritize finishing it, though.

I was interested in this, but you should listen shut up and sit down talk about it.

They make a lot of oddball games sound intriguing, but I am not convinced that opinion will translate into most casual game groups. For example, Fog of Love sounds fascinating to me, but I don’t know I could get anyone else to play it.

Go on dates and make your date play it with you. Surefire strategy.

So, Erin, it’s our third date, and you know what that means. wink That’ right, tonight I will be flipping over my Destiny Card!

A few extra releases that showed up today:

I just found out tonight that there is a campaign expansion for… Space Base. With sealed boxes, a story deck, and everything. If there was ever a game that didn’t want a campaign expansion, it’s Space Base. And yet I must have it.

Does it add soul back into the game? Machi Koro had soul, but Space Base? I’d genuinely prefer SB if it had a purely ‘abstract’ theme where you just bought cards and got points, instead of buying ugly space ships to get point

Whoa, look at that! And check out that name:

I’m still partial to Villages of Valeria when it comes to my Machi Koro clones, but that’s certainly a way to rekindle my interest in Space Base.

How dare you, sir! The spaceships in Space Base have the names of science fiction authors, many of whom are dead. Have you no sense of decency?

-Tom

But Machi Koro has cute little burger stands and furniture factories! Whereas Space Base has a multicolour spew of badly drawn ships.

Don’t eat we wrong: I prefer playing SB to MK… But it’s just so ugly and has such a poorly related theme!

Ever wonder what would happen in Machi Koro if those burger stands and furniture factories… got old?

I agree. I just picked up FOL. 9 dollars at Walmart. We will see.

Finally got to play Wingspan today. I’ve been hearing so much about this game lately, I was looking forward to trying it. However, I was pretty let down by it. To steal a phrase I’ve seen on BGG, this is just another soul-less euro game. The theme is pretty much non-existent in the gameplay, there is almost no player interaction, and in the end it is just a multiplayer solitaire puzzle for each player to figure out on their own. There is absolutely nothing new or special about this game, and there are many games that do the same thing, but better! Sure, the production is lovely, but the game is just plain mediocre. The game’s systems work fine together, but are just too mechanical and joyless for me to enjoy.

Its funny, because I feel almost the same way about Scythe, which was also hyped up like crazy (and it also a Stonemeyer game). I just don’t understand why BGG goes so crazy over these games.

Oh wow, a Crusoe expansion. Sweet. That goes on the ol’ wish list.

Preach.