Boardgaming in 2019!

Nice. That Matrix gif is very appropriate.

Mmmh…ummm…nevermind.

Fight Club?

Is that Chuck Palahniuk posting?

Right? It just looks thrown together. The box art is boring. The font doesn’t feel like it matches star wars. The game play looked uninspired. I look forward to being proven wrong as I love the idea of this, but I have yet to find a game like this that did it for me. Xia, Merchants of Venus, Firefly have all been duds.

I haven’t played it just yet but if none of those games worked for you I don’t know if Outer Rim is the one that’s going to bring it around.

An aquaintence has a game that he’s kick starting at the end of the year. That looks like it might finally do what I want in a game. I’m hoping so. I basically want GTA in space.

Played 6 player Rising sun with a buncha kickstarter exclusives. Dug it.

Any members going to Congress of Gamers in Rockville next weekend?

I don’t know if we have any NV folks - anyone going to RageCon later this month? I’m thinking about it, it’s only a 2 hour drive for me, but haven’t decided yet.

Aww, Firefly is all kinds of awesome. Do you just not like that it’s basically a single-player scoring race with reverse-engineered player interaction in some of the add-ons? Because that’s certainly a fair criticism.

I really didn’t like Xia when it first came out, and I’m not sure I’d inflict it on my friends again, but the Embers add-on turned it into a perfectly cromulent single-player space adventure sandbox. Just enough random events and AI ship scripting to keep it lively. There’s even a kind of campaign mode where you have to play each of the ships once.

-Tom

Remember when Han Solo was a stone cold bounty hunter cruising around with Chewie in a Firespray gunship? I do. I just won a game of Outer Rim. I liked it quite a bit. Lots of the Firefly vibe in this one. I like the system in Outer Rim better. You cycle through the jobs and market in a much more elegant way.

Fantasy Flight has FINALLY announced an expansion for Arkham Horror 3rd edition. Thankfully they said it’s just more existing stuff instead of new bell & whistle mechanics. 2 new scenarios, supposed to have a bunch more possible endings than the base ones.

Not due until September.

Jeeze, what the heck happened that it took them so long to get the obligatory MOAR STUFF into the pipeline for Arkham Horror?

-Tom

They had Star Wars stuff to stuff into the pipeline. So much Star Wars stuff.

And more lucrative Arkham card game add ons for LCG whales.

Honestly, I think it’s nothing more complicated than poor sales and middling reviews. They might be Arkham oversaturated.

Xia started out the most interesting, but it just felt like certain paths were much more rewarding than others and that it was missing any kind of narrative. I dont mind a good race game. I love merchants and marauders. Firefly felt pretty bland but I only played the base game. I love the idea of outer rim, I’m just put off by the presentation. I want to play outer rim on the rebellion map with lots of bits all over it. Instead I got a minimalist set of pieces to jump between. It just feels like a missed opportunity. I’d definitely try it because star wars. I’m just not out in a rush to purchase it

They certainly are for me. I love their previous edition of Arkham Horror (and this sounds so different I wish they’d released it as something else and kept printing 2nd edition), I love Eldritch Horror, I love Mansions of Madness, and I love the Arkham Horror LCG…but I already own those last three and between them I feel like the bases are kinda covered. It’s not clear to me what this third edition brings that would warrant me investing in yet another cash sink with the same theme (and art, I’m guessing).

Nikki Valens left FFG, I think, so I suspect that didn’t help.