Boardgaming in 2020: the year of the, uh, post-minis era? We can only hope!

So people know, they come flat packed like this:

and you have to punch them out and glue them together yourself.

Yep! Same as Broken Token and Go7 (albeit different materials)

If given a choice between a Folded Space or a Broken Token insert, I’d use the Folded Space one without a doubt. Much more easier to punch out for one and I find assembly a lot more easier too. Obviously not as sturdy as the wood, but decent all the same.

Rob Daviau gets a Bloomberg article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-21/board-games-from-the-80s-are-rebooted-for-generation-x?srnd=premium-europe

Well, I imagine it’s about more than just his games, but I’m not using one of my 10 articles for it, sorry.

Yeah, I’ve never bought a 3rd-party insert or “game chest” thingy that didn’t need to be punched out and glued for assembly. And I’ve got (and am very happy with) a number of such products. (Gloomhaven, Arkham Horror LCG, Mansions of Madness, and Elder Sign, specifically).

What would be most interesting to me about the Folded Space inserts is that I’m assuming they’re MUCH lighter than the wooden products from Broken Token. My loaded up Mansions of Madness box weighs about 50 pounds I think.

I have a few Folded Space inserts (Champions of Midgard, Robinson Crusoe, and Spirit Island) and would definitely get them again over the wooden ones. Sturdy and definitely lighter.

My two wooden inserts so far (neither Broken Token, but similar designs) didn’t need gluing. Assembly, yes, but it was like five minutes.

That video alleviated a lot of my concerns with foam. I didn’t realize it was an entirely different type of foam, and now… I might be interested.

Thank you.

I have built a few custom foam board inserts of my own. A decent 1/4" or so foam core takes a ton of abuse.

I built a few foam core inserts for Mage Knight and the like. I can try to take a picture if anyone wants to see what it can look like.

I would be up for that, though, as discussed, I haven’t played before.

If you’ve got the base game and all the expansions, at least 40 lbs. of that is the map tiles. So. Many. Tiles.

Yeah and that’s been pushed probably 4 to 6 months with the corona virus. Speaking of inserts. I have an amazing wooden insert from Etsy that I got for the game. I should probably sell it now since I’m guessing I won’t need it for the new Collectors version from Mindclash.

Teotihuacan has another expansion?

Indeed!

I’m not going to lie. I’m intrigued. The completionist in me needs this, but I’m still playing the base game.

Vesper,
How worried should I be about getting a Super Star Destroyer for Armada? I know it’s a weird question, but Asmodee seems to be on warpath right now and I can just see that going away.

Worried in what way? Like, the ability to get one ever? Or problems if it breaks? (For those who didn’t see the news, Asmodee announced this week they are no longer providing replacement parts for games - they are shifting the burden onto store owners to do game swaps. Ugh.)

Actually both. I’ve been holding off due to high price point and my lack of time to play, but it’s on my list of things to pick up. I know Armada is still getting support, but I also know that the bigger ships for x-wing tend to disappear after a run. I’m doubly concerned with the announcement from Asmodee. I like my FFG stuff, but I buy a lot of games and typically have something that ends up missing or broken.

As of right now the SSD is out of stock at Alliance (Asmodee’s distributor) so if you want it I would grab it. Might be awhile before it’s back.

This is a different sort of thing, but if people wanted to try to schedule a live game, it’s on Tabletopia, as well. This works much like Tabletop Simulator, but it’s in a browser, and it’s free (I’ve never used the service, though).