Boardwalk Empire

Gotten a bevy of glowing reviews. Starts tonight on HBO.

— Alan

VERY EXCITED :D

I have it DVR’d up for tonight.

Me too, I love Buscemi.

I love HBO’s set quality, from Rome to Deadwood , their production quality is very good. Can’t wait to see the boardwalk. :)

This looks very interesting to me, but I’m not willing to pay HBO’s prices just for this. I was sort of hoping they’d run a one or two episode preview on 101 as they did with The Pacific and Pillars of the Earth, but no dice.

Scorsese directed the first episode, which apparently cost upwards of $30 million (before tax credits).

Had no idea that Marky Mark was an exec producer.

God, I heart Kelly Macdonald. Beautiful, and that lilting accent slays me every time.

This show looks fantastic. Production values are insane. Can’t believe the set is right across from Manhattan.

Holy Crap, that’s Dabney Coleman? I feel old.

Hah, I was just coming here to post the same thing.

This series is awesome, thumbs up from me.

I thought it was the guy from Simon and Simon, but you’re right. I also feel old…

I’ll watch it again.

Really enjoyed this. Looking forward to seeing more. Also, I’m very impressed by how much marketing they’re already throwing at Game of Thrones.

Indifferent on the first 40-45 minutes, but the last 25 were terrific.

Pilot was enjoyable. Reviewers with advance screenings all say the Scorsese directed pilot was the worst – and the subsequent episodes are all much better. If so, I have high hopes for the show.

Seeing Rothstein, and a young Luciano and Capone at the same table with Nucky was an interesting start to the series.

Not sure if I would go with a full 40, but agreed - there was too much, “It’s Prohibition, so we’ll all make illegal booze!” talk at the beginning. Once they got that out of the way though, it picked up steam fast.

Some of the exposition was a bit too on the nose, like that opening dinner scene. I enjoyed the countdown to prohibition though. I had never really thought about the mechanics of it all. It’s odd to consider an everyday aspect of life suddenly becoming illegal as the clock strikes twelve.

I expected a lot from this pilot and was left a bit disappointed, but it was good enough for a first episode. I know I bring this up too much, but Spartacus went from schlock to awesome in about four episodes. I predict great things from this series once it finds its legs.

Plus, Buscemi.

I can’t take anymore! Buscemi. Buscemi. There is no h in Buscemi.

Well, to be fair, “sc” + “i” or “e” in Italian is usually pronounced “sh”, as in “pesce” = “pe-ssheh”, or “prosciutto” = “pro-sshoo-toh”. Given he’s part Italian, it’s understandable to pronounce “Buscemi” as “boo-ssheh-mee”, instead of “boo-seh-mee”.

When you say, “usually pronounced sh” I think you mean “always pronounced sh, because that’s the rule.” The ‘SC’ in Buscemi is there to indicate the sh sound - Busemi would be boo-seh-mee, Bucemi would be boo-cheh-mee, and Buschemi would be boo-skeh-mee. The reason for Gus’ post was that the previous poster spelled it Bushemi (I think), which is just wrong.

I had an Italian professor (from Italy) tell my intro Italian class how she once argued with a waiter at the Olive Garden over the correct pronunciation of the word Bruschetta (it’s broo-skeh-ta, not bru-sheh-ta). Italian pronunciation is dead simple, but almost everyone in America gets it wrong, reverting to Brooklyn Italian instead of Real ™ Italian.