Boiling Point (formerly known as Xenus)?

Good review, Kieron, I always have a soft spot for ambitious games. God knows we don’t seem to get too many from the mainstream publishers.

Great review Kieron - that was an entertaining and informative read.

Yeah. Not even sure that Atari know what to do with it, considering how little noise there’s been about it.

EDIT: And thanks. Glad you liked the review. In fact, everyone. God Bless One And All.

KG

I think that was one of the best, most informative reviews I have ever read.

Seriously. I loved the 3 seperate reviews, each with a different point of view.

I was considering the pros and cons of linking to it, and you save me the ethical dilemma. Thanks.

Hope you enjoy it. Bloody awkward game to review.

KG[/quote]

LOL, I had come here with the intent of posting your review myself.

great review BTW.

Despite the incredble frustration I’m having trying to get this thing to run decently I can’t stop playing it. I estimate I’ve been playing it for well over 20 hours and I still haven’t lifted 1/3rd of the fog from the map yet (I can’t even begin to guess how many missions I haven’t even taken advantage of). Just an amazing game.

Kieron ftw

Nice review(s), Kieron.

Deep Shadows have re-surfaced at last, and put a new technical FAQ on their website, along with (incomplete) details of the forthcoming patch, to be released “soon”.

http://www.deep-shadows.com/fullnews.phtml?id=278

While we’re waiting, has anyone else noticed that speech in the game is really, really quiet in relation to the rest of the sound? There’s no separate controls for speech volume, but I can barely hear it most of the time.

Edit: Further reading at www.boiling-point.net, the ‘official’ fansite suggests that the patch will be out by the end of the week.

There is no other way! :shock:

I’m sure poor Shadowmoses didn’t expect the weight of the world to show up at his little fan site. Trust Atari not to have any decent official resources. For those that don’t want to register at B-P.net, here’s a Babelfish translation of an Atari France forum post on the patch:

Text:

• the texts do not remain any more with the screen after a phone call
  • the enemy messages appear now in a correct way
  • the assistances are posted now at the good time

Missions:

• the CIA: the missions are not rewarded any more as much as they are not successful
  • the mission of the suicide: the mission disappears from the list if you fail
  • the problems minor which prevented the realization of certain missions are now solved.

Graph:

• the problems graph at the time of died of the hero or at the time of died of the NPC in the cities were solved.

Its:

• problems minor such as the dialogues which buckle were solved.

Camera:

• problems minor of camera were regulated.

Vehicles:

• the problem of the cars which disappear (rare problem) was solved
  • the problem of the vehicles which are blocked in the decorations or which do not appear correctly on the mini-chart is solved.
  • the missions of taxi post from now on the options correctly.

Localization:

• Some defect of translation were regulated

Various:

• the station of police force donot can be destroyed any more by the crossbow.
  • From now on, when Saul makes fall an object, only this object disappears from the inventory.

Improvements:

• Crashes: some crashes rare (not easily reproducible) was noticed especially during the loadings of the safeguards rapid. The patch will correct this bug.
  • Artificial Intelligence: the behavior of the NPC is improved by the patch.
    Some examples: the NPC avoid from now on the obstacles at the time of their displacements, they are defended when they are attacked and their animations were worked over again.

That doesn’t sound like very much in the way of fixes, for how broken this game supposedly is…

I can’t find a single mention of the game at Atari’s main site…not one.

Deep Shadows must be thrilled to death.

Not sure if someone said this yet but when we went to the Atari area, they had a Boiling Point poster up behind there desk- so I asked the drone where the game was… I got a “oh we don’t that one here…”

hmm, maybe they are betting on the new Driv3r … bah!

Anybody buy this at a store in the US yet?

Boiling Point was playable at E3 at the Nvidia booth…

ARGH!

Amazon preorder… waiting.

Yes I have the same problem with very quiet voices, relative to other sounds.

Sound’s a bit choppy in general for me.

(3000+, 512MB, X800XL, nofroce 2 integrated sound)

Yeah, I’m using Nforce 2 too, via an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mobo. The game is supposed to be compliant with the Dolby Digital output provided by the Soundstorm chipset. I think the readme, or the manual for BP specifies Dolby support as the only way to get surround sound with the game - otherwise, you’re stuck with stereo.

Can anyone using just the stereo output confirm whether they get the super-quiet voices?

dont have it yet, but after reading some forums, the only solution for voices being low so far is to LOWER music and LOWER sound effects waaaay down, then crank up your speaker / windows volume. The voices arent affected by any slider controls, they are at a set, quiet volume.

The patch is out today.