Bone Tomahawk - Snake Plissken, Jack Sheperd, and Deputy Dewey in a cannibal western

Oh cool, this is on Amazon Prime Video.

Along with what others have said I will add that there is one scene in particular that is extremely graphic but it’s not a surprise when it comes. You will have plenty of time to strategically hold a hand over the offending part of the screen when the time comes. (That’s what I did! I don’t particularly hate horror movies but I didn’t need to see that in detail! It did not detract from my enjoyment of the movie.)

I enjoyed this too. Nothing earth shattering but solidly good.

Speaking of which, The Homesman with Hilary Swank and Tommy Lee Jones is on Netflix streaming and is worth watching if you like westerns. It’s an odd movie. I haven’t quite decided what I think of it overall but I enjoyed it well enough while watching it.

The Homesman is a well made film…that is utterly, utterly bleak. It depressed the living crap out of me.

The Alamo Cinema in my area has really poor scheduling/programming at times and I was unable to attend a screening of this film. I finally got to watch it from Netflix DVD, and I am quite surprised it did not get a wider release.

Good movie.

I loved this movie, watched it on recommendation of a colleague at work. I love its slow tempo, charismatic characters, always engaging dialogue, and unexpectedly brutal final part.

And then I read how it was made:
http://hollywoodjournal.com/personal-journeys/the-making-of-bone-tomahawk-at-all-costs/20141027/
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/10/21/an-interview-with-the-producers-of-bone-tomahawk

Everyone passing on financing. Bank loan. Budget less than 2 million. Parents getting murdered.
Wow.

The Hollywood Reporter just announced that Vince Vaughn is going to star in S. Craig Zahler’s next film, an action-thriller called Brawl in Cell Block 99. This news breaks my heart. :(

In order to reassure you, I was trying to think of some movie where Vince Vaugn is so good that you would look forward to seeing him in Zahler’s next movie. Uh, Made? Does that work? I’m having a hard time here.

-Tom

But he really showed us his acting chops in season two of True Detective. Oh wait. Fuck.

“Am I diminished?”

The trailer for Zahler’s follow-up to Bone Tomahawk just dropped. Predictably, Vince Vaughn looks like he’s going to deliver a terrible performance (with an unconvincing southern accent), which will be made even worse by the fact his co-star is Jennifer Carpenter. :(

The movie has good buzz, actually. Vince Vaughn as the Kingpin works for me. I might catch it at TIFF.

Thanks. It’s still there 20 months after you posted that.

Also, thanks @MrTibbs for the thread bump. I got traumatized again last night by clicking the Play button at Amazon. I paid for it the first time shortly after this thread was started, but now that it’s free to Prime members, I took full advantage and watched it again.

But hell, even if you’re not a Prime member, it is fully worth paying for.
Looking forward to “Brawl in Cell Block 99”, but it’s got a lot to live up to. Zahler may have set the bar a bit too high.

I’d actually like to see a sequel to Bone Tomahawk. I know it would be hard, hell, nearly impossible to beat the original. But I’d like to see the original cast back together again. For almost anything.

Desslock, did you end up watching it?

@Giles_Habibula, I just saw that it’s out now on VOD services, and after reading the A.V. Club and N.Y.T. reviews, I’m willing to give Vaughn a chance. I’m glad to see the film’s been well-received since Zahler did such strong in Bone Tomahawk.

Saw this last night. Vaughn plays it pretty well, his humor carries a lot.

The story just is not as interesting or appears as well thought through as Bone . The events in the film seem disconnected, so it is more like going through a series of scenes than a story. In the end it was a mixed bag. Maybe I was just expecting more.

Satisfying revenge story, if a little one note. And a few lines here and there had me chuckling.

Lacked the variety of characters that helped make BT such a classic.

Huge missed opportunity from an artistic point of view IMHO:

Yeah, so we all like to be shocked by seeing Vaughn’s head get blown off, but the film really liked to focus on the head tattoo. I feel the final moment should have been the warden blowing his head off, but we observe the entire sequence from the perspective of the back of Vaughn’s head.

Damn, kinda wish I didn’t read the spoiler. However, I found Vaughn’s tough guy shtick pretty terrible in True Detective. Looks like he put on some weight since then. He’s one of the tallest leading men in Hollywood at 6’4".