Book of Demons, aka Paper Diablo

I uninstalled and reinstalled and that seems to have fixed it. Fun little game. Unlocked the other two classes but haven’t played them yet. I really wish this was on my phone, actually.

I went ahead and picked it up at the sale price you mentioned. I played it a few hours last night. It definitely starts to ramp up in difficulty as you pass out of the tutorial parts and/or go down into the dungeon. I am just before the first real boss and the game has gone from super simplistic encounters to some frantic elite blob difficulty spikes and doorway monster closets. It is surprisingly like accurate to Diablo in that sense even if it has a different mechanical system.

I am also finding the gear/ card choices tough as gear (takes away from total mana) and spells (use mana pool) are in constant battle for my mana. Yet, getting more mana means less health and health is becoming an issue as elite monsters are starting to get a bit rough on their modifiers. Timing the use of the cauldron or using upgrade runes are also nail biting. Plus there is the push your luck/ reward payout of doing shorter versus longer dungeon runs. Really, the game is pretty solid on making you constantly decide how to use or not use very finite resources while doing a sideways interpretation of Diablo. It was a very well spent $2.

No performance issues on the Switch for me so far.

The tough part for me is things like archer blobs. You just have to eat a bunch of arrows on your way towards them, which sucks. A boss had a similar mechanic where as I damaged him he let of a bunch of lightning bolts towards me, which I eventually couldn’t run from, once again just forcing me to eat it, which didn’t feel great.

They have it on iPad, but not sure you can use it on phones

I am finding the archer blobs also rough. This seems part of the game design as you are on a track and they are purposefully put in the back of tough encounter combos. In a normal Diablo game, you would dodge to the side, but you can’t in Book of Demons. They also are getting nasty by putting jumping enemies behind me to limit my ability to backtrack to dodge arrows or spells. The wiggle room gets really tight at times taking the game from a Diablo experience to almost a bullet hell experience. My current built is aiming at getting hearts sometimes from taking hits and to have a chance to dodge/reflect projectiles.

Their next game is now in Early Access!

I tried watching the trailer for this on Steam, but the voiceover was so grating that I couldn’t make it more than about 30 seconds in. I do see a playthrough on my YouTube stream though, so I will check it out that way.

Hellcard has hit 1.0

The card art design is straight out of Slay the Spire.