Book Report - The Great Stagnation

Here is a cool Matt Yglesias post where he addresses Cowen’s argument that stagnating innovation has lead to stagnating median incomes.

It’s an interesting thesis, but I can’t say I agree with this.

Cheap mobile phones have transformed life in the “third world” over the past decade, and thanks to the impetus of Android we are witnessing an incredibly rapid shift from smartphones being status symbols to being something that “everyone” owns. The Kindle Fire is an aggressive push to do the same for tablets. In a few decades, people born into technological societies will find it hard to imagine what it is to not be continually online and wired. And judging from current trends, the same will be true for a lot of “developing” countries. That isn’t a transformation of everyday life?

A decade ago’s inventions are hardly new.

I’m not really sure I see the point. Which inventions of 1870-1970 “transformed the world” immediately that it was invented? Inventions pretty much always take a lot of time from discovery to widespread dissemination - and even the internet has not significantly changed that. Even in computer science (where the jump from invention to production is minimal), you will often find that the latest buzzword was invented 5 or more years ago. It takes time for pretty much any invention to mature.

I dunno, how long after the invention of the dishwasher did dishwashers become an everyday thing?

It’s been 10 years since the smartphone hit the upper bracket markets and only now is it becoming mainstream.

What’s that like in terms of relative delay? I have absolutely no idea. But it’s an interesting question.

If we are to believe Wikipedia, the first dishwashers with integrated plumbing arrived in the 1920s and developed further in the 1940s. Commonplace in the 1970s.

It’s been 10 years since the smartphone hit the upper bracket markets and only now is it becoming mainstream.

Seems like a pretty typical timeframe for the transition period of new technology from the “this is cool” bracket to the “everyone has got one” bracket.

We’re on iPhone 4s (effectively the 6th generation of iPhone) and Android (the cheaper knockoff in general) is just now starting to rise. This runs contrary to his theory how? (Actually, to be fair what you probably ought to compare is iPhone and Android to Blackberry, which was initially a horribly expensive thing really only available for high-powered businesspeople who were important (read: wealthy) enough to need the type of access to information that smartphones bring.)

Inasmuch as I read his thesis as saying “We’d see far better results if we didn’t have to wait for ultracheap commoditization of new technology due to the inability of the middle classes to adopt technology as quickly as they have in the past”, your examples seem to prove his point rather than yours. If smartphones are a transformative technology, then certainly they’ve been delayed by the very slow trickling down of affordability rather than an explosive wave of adoption at their inception due to plenty of excess income amongst the middle class.