Book Thread 2018^H9

They look good, no kindle editions I see, shame that.

Huh? I linked to the kindle edition? And I have all on Kindle as well, so I’m sure they are out there!

Unfortunately I am not American, none available on the Uk store for some reason.

Have you tried searching for the book, instead of using my link? I can’t purchase kindles from the UK store either, and I’m being asked to relocate to US always, but if you find the author through your normal amazon site, and then just search?

Yep book version only no kindle versions available on most of his work

@Reemul is correct. Only paperback, hardback or audio book formats available for that particular series in UK.

And you cant purchase from the us Amazon like I do?

Well I have to fake an address and sort out a payment that works in the us etc etc, all a pain, sure it can be done but it is some hassle.

On the topic of Kings of the Wyld by Andrew Eames, I just found out that the sequel is due out on July 10, 2018. This time it looks like instead of arena-cock-rockers getting the band back together, the theme is a girl band rising. Looks like fun.

My brother got me The Book of the Year for Christmas, and I really enjoyed going through it. It’s from the Brits who do the No Such Thing As A Fish podcast. Basically they just collected a ton of weird stuff that happened in 2017 and listed it all. There are some of the usual suspects - Trump, Donald is a fairly long entry - but it’s got a lot of obscure and often hilarious things in here as well.

OK, I know, no one wants to think about the 2016 US presidential campaign. At least, not outside of P&R. But this is a book as much about Katy Tur’s personal journey as it is about the campaign itself, and I found it a fascinating read.

Got the new Willy Vlautin today and I am stoked.

Can’t you buy from the American store? That’s what I do here In Spain.

Finished Persepolis Rising, book seven in the Expanse series.

Wow.

One of the things I have really liked with the series so far is that each book advances the overall plot. Sometimes drastically. I think the previous six books can be described as two trilogies. The first one introduces the setting and characters, and ends with opening up the universe to something broader. The second trilogy deals with how the established deals with the new context by attempting to consolidate before adapting and embracing change.

A couple of paragraphs into this book it is clear that it was all just set up for the final trilogy, and I am looking forward to seeing where it goes. The new viewpoint characters work well, although one of them might be the weakest one since the dreaded dark ages of Abaddon’s Gate. I am really looking forward to the next book. It is clear that the writers know where they want to go, and are not holding anything back.’

Next up, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.

Reading The Core, finale (I think) of the Demon Cycle. Good but suffers a bit from POV glut.

Last finished, The Absent One, a Dept. Q book. I’ve enjoyed Nesbo a lot, so I’m trying a few other Scandinavian authors. This series is very good. Also tried the first Wallender book, not as strong, but worth continuing the series.

I just finished up reading The Eastern Stars by Mark Kurlansky (he of Salt and Cod fame). It’s a dual-subject book: baseball and the Dominican Republic town of San Pedro, which has produced an outsized number of MLB players over the last 50+ years. I found it fascinating since I’m an avid baseball fan who has visited the DR several times. Probably not as interesting to anyone that doesn’t have those particular interests, but well worth the read for those who do.

Finished Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.

I liked this better than his Wayward/Pines/The Last Town-trilogy. A lot of interesting ideas, twists and turns that all in all work well. At its best the book channels a PKD-ish vibe. However, at times it feels a bit movie-like in a way that to some extent lessens it as a novel in my eyes (but which also scratches my Fringe itch). I was not surprised when the author mentioned an effort to make it into a movie in the acknowledgments at the end.

All in all I recommend it for a quick and interesting read with a good implementation of some good ideas.

Finally received Fire and Fury. This should be a fun ride.

Finished Dogs of Riga, second Wallender novel. Much better than the first.

Also, Headstone. I don’t know why I have fallen so far behind on the Jack Taylor books, as I have always enjoyed them.

Started Persepolis Rising, the latest Expanse book.The authors must have wanted to do something different, as it is set about 20-25 years after the last. So, it will have an interesting effect on our heroes. For example, indestructible Bobbie has arthritis…

Just finished up Persepolis Rising by James S.A. Corey (audiobook version)

https://www.amazon.com/Persepolis-Rising/dp/B074XK7YWT/

As Lloyd notes above, it’s a 30-year jump in time from the last book. It’s pretty much a brand new series that only shares the previous books’ setting… I’d compare it to Hamilton’s “Void Trilogy” which takes place in the same universe (and shares some of the same characters) as the “Pandora’s Star” trilogy.

I admit, I was kind of hoping that the jump in time would introduce some new main characters rather than showing the old characters in their 50s and 60s. They didn’t, and that’s both good and bad. It’s bad mostly because the authors pretty much just kept the characters as they were, except having them complain constantly about aches and pains. It sort of had a “New Star Wars Trilogy” feel to it where Han Solo and Leia were still doing the same stuff despite being 30 years into their “happily ever after”.

But that’s pretty much my only criticism. The plot is great, the action is as you’d expect from this series, and the book ends with several plots hanging off of several cliffs, all leading to some potentially interesting places. I had feared that Abraham would not be putting out any new books in the Expanse series after the last one. Nice to be wrong.