Book Thread 2018^H9

Well, maybe I should get back to the book if that sort of stuff isn’t too distracting on the whole. But my queue is really long right now.

Started reading The Sudden Appearance of Hope. It’s about a woman who no one can remember an hour after meeting her. The affliction she suffers from, and the types of situations she finds herself in, are well-detailed. It would suck if it happened to me! I got bored with the actual story, though, and quit reading at about the 30% mark.

Started reading The Bear and the Nightingale. It’s a fantasy novel set in medieval Russia. I like it a lot, but it’s about to become depressing I think, so I set it aside for the time being.

I read the second and third novels in the Swords of Riverside series. They’re both pretty enjoyable, though short. I liked book 2 more than book 3.

Started two books, but neither are new.
Borrowing from Amazon Prime reading When I’m Gone by Emily Bleaker. Wasn’t sure what it was at first but it’s about a guy that starts receiving letters from his dead wife.

Also pulled up from my back log The Bridge at Dong Ha by John Grider Miller, about a bridge taken down by US Marine advisor John Ripley near the end of the Vietnam war.

I like those too. You can subscribe to the Tremontaine serial over at Serial Box if you want more. Each “season” has an episode by Kushner with others by collaborators in a tightly plotted series that is basically a lengthy prequel to the solo novels. By “tightly plotted” I mean they plan out the full sequence of events and work together to come up with a coherent arc, as opposed to just writing independent stories in a shared world.

Oh hell. Now I know who Peter Watts reminds me of. Peter Watts. He wrote The Rifters Trilogy, which I also loved.

BTW, The Rifter Series is also available for free download. If you haven’t read it, do so.

Edit: His blog. And other stuff.

I can post a single word now, even though I’m not finished yet. Mindfuck.

Please excuse my multiple posts here. Peter Watts is now my favorite writer of all time.

@Sharpe my thoughts on the book, since you asked.

Blindsight was the first novel that I’ve ever read that caused me fear and anxiety in a way that I can not explain. The discussion of sentience as being an evolutionary dead end. The part where Sarasti attacked Siri. They made me afraid. Almost as if my subconscious was worried that I was getting information that I shouldn’t have. I think that Watts is a better author than anyone I mentioned before. He hits me in the gut. Hard. I just bought Echopraxia. Whether it’s as good as Blindsight or even the Rifter series is not an issue. I want more of his writing.

Here are some options for your new desktop background, Rich!

Now reading Echopraxia. Mainlining my need for Watts.

Edit: So this happened.

Hi Richard,

On 27-Mar-18 8:09 PM, Rich Romano wrote:

Blindsight was the first novel that gave me a visceral feeling of fear
and anxiety. Right around the time where Sarasti attacked Siri. And
the discussion of sentience being an evolutionary mistake. You are my
new favorite author. Thanks for the ride. Just bought Echopraxia.
Write more. Write faster! :)

Why, thank you. But if I write faster, I’ll probably write worse.

Hope you like Echopraxia; a lot of Blindsight fans did, but a lot of
others thought I screwed the pooch. (Even I have to admit I’m
dissatisfied with the middle quarter of that book. Too talky. Still not
sure how I’d fix that, though.) On the up side, I’ve got a novella
coming out this summer set in my Sunflowers sequence. It’s been getting
some nice blurbs. Also it’s short.

Cheers,
Peter

I am too old to squee, or I would.

Hi again. Me here. Echopraxia was wonderful. Not as scary, but needing a third book. Loose ends all over. At least it will give me time to research the footnotes. And maybe give up on life or become a psychopath. Or both.

I have just finished reading **The Assassin’s Apprentice by Robin Hobb.**I was kinda leery of reading this as a quick look made me think it might be a YA novel, but I was convinced to give it a try. And I am glad I did.

This is the first book in the Farseer Trilogy. It reminds me somewhat of the Harry Potter series and somewhat of the Name of the Wind. This book is about the childhood and education of young FitzChivalry, a bastard of the Prince of the Realm.

It is well written, different in just the right ways and has enough action and questions to keep you interested.

I read that a little while back and REALLY enjoyed it. Hope to continue the series eventually. Great stuff.

It’s my wife’s favorite series. There are 5 trilogies that continues the story when you’re done. I’m a pretty big book snob, but I enjoyed the entire thing as well.

I liked it enough to buy the next two books when I get the chance.

Kindle version on sale for $3, so I picked it up on positive vibes here. #2 is also on sale but not as big a discount.

One more shout out for Hobb. Read the initial trilogy repeatedly, and even the follow up books several times.

I knew there were more books but I had no idea there were that many. So that will give me something to read while I wait for GRRM to finish book 6.

Well, 2 of the trilogies start off loosely connected, but it’s probably best to read in order of publication.

Is there a suggested order listed anywhere? Hobb’s website isn’t abundantly clear.

Next up is Liveship Traders (same world, mostly separate characters), then Tawny Man.