Book Thread 2023

Well, I finished Centers of Gravity, the eighth (and final?) installment of Marko Kloos’ Frontlines series. The tldr is that if you liked the earlier books, you will like this one as well. It doesn’t do much to break from the formula, but it is a very fitting conclusion to the narrator’s character arc, and leaves the setting in a satisfying place, though there are still plenty of unknowns. It reads to me as if Kloos is done with this story arc (and character), but wants to leave open the possibility of returning to it. And I really hope he does–it is better (IMHO) than his other series, and I would like to see some of the consequences of the last two books play out further. But I respect that the man churned out eight books (albeit on the shorter side, and definitely quick reads) and is ready to move on. (Oh yeah, I should clearly state that I haven’t actually tracked down any statements about being done, it just really feels that way given the book.)

Overall, I’d say that if you want a man-going-on-adventures-with-a-lasergun kind of milsf, this is the series to read right now. Compared to a lot of the other stuff I posted about here, it’s definitely much more traditional SF, in the vein of (early) Scalzi and Weber (but much better–more refined–than the Weber I’ve read) and probably going back to Heinlein and co (though thankfully free of the eye-rolling “politics” and “ideas”). [If you’re worried about anti-woke BS, though (as I am, I’ll own it), rest assured that Kloos seems to be on the side of the angels.]

Incidentally, without spoiling anything, I’ll say that this recent astronomy news is quite pleasing given that I just finished the series: