Borderlands 2

Yep, did all quests, and died a lot while doing them. :)

Gunzerker is the strongest in end game. If you are just looking to go through the campaign, mechromancer, axton or syren is a much better choice

Decided to roll a new character and play from level 30. I restarted the Dragon Keep DLC. Its amazing, I am only an hour or so in, just entered the forest.

Some screenshots:

I’m sorry if you were lead astray earlier. I honestly can’t remember if gunzerker is harder or easier early game. It was soooo long ago. The thing to remember is that gunzerker WILL be a god later. If you can dual wield two rocket launchers, things tend to die quickly. But only when you can access rocket launcher. I don’t think you get rocket launcher that early.

I loved that DLC so much! As a fan of fantasy and D&D, it was a blissful experience.

Yea, that particular DLC is the best non-full-expansion DLC I’ve ever seen or purchased for a game. Fantastic spin on the game and continuation of certain story beats.

My favourite class was easily the Psycho. He is a bit of a high risk, high reward class. However I also ran him through True Vault Hunter Mode and then partway through Ultimate Vault Hunter as well before burning out. I also took Axton through the base game once. The game is definitely solo-able. The only time I ever played with friends was when I was overpowered and they wanted to blast through the DLC. The first difficulty mode, it is important to do all the side quests and generally explore the area, work out how to get into barricaded areas. The game is punishing if the character level is below the enemy level, especially at the start of the game before characters have a chance to have a respository of guns and skills. With Kreig (the psycho) I know I respecced a number of times because the build was no longing fitting my needs.

I’ve been playing a lot during the last 3 days.
This time I will add some negative comments.
First, the economy is busted. I think I remember it was the same on release. 99% of the items sold are rubbish, the type you find commonly after every random fight, so why would you spend money on it? It doesn’t feel good to accumulate money for 20 hours of play (180K) and not having anything worthwhile to spend on it.
Second, something goes badly when examining what energy shields as core mechanic interact with game balance based on RPG level. As I said multiple times, I’m no friend of ‘regenerating shield/health’ systems, and here they also show their weakness. There are sometimes where the game feels balanced, and fun.
But other times if you are only a bit undeleveled, the balance tips one way and you are weak and you have to retreat and hide a lot of times to recover the shield and being ‘allowed’ to play. An unfun pain in the ass. And similarly be a bit overleveled, and suddenly you are a walking god. Which is fun for a pair of hours but after a while it gets old, you go running to the objectives, looting boxes and stuff, and the enemy damage isn’t enough to deplete the shields fully and as they recover automatically, you are almost invulnerable.
Third, the game has a good enemy variety and a very good setting variety, but still, the game is so damn big that ends up feeling repetitive. There isn’t enough to support a game with 125 quests like BL2

Finished up Dragons Keep, a good dlc with a great ending. :)

So next up should be Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary which would then get me all ready for Borderlands 3, but I was told by a friend that I should play Tales from the Borderlands first. So I guess thats on my to do list before playing any the final Borderlands 2 dlc.

A whole lot of end game screens from Dragons Keep DLC (spoilers!):

Pics

1. Tiny Tina is one of the best game characters ever.
  2. Dragons Keep is easily the best thing about Borderlands, and probably the best non full expansion of a game ever.

I played for a few more deaths last night. I think I died 6 times before I quit for the night. I’m not sure how much effort into this game I have in me. I don’t think I’ll ever reach Sanctuary.

Gunzerker is definitely the hardest and worst character to play.

Let me know when you are on and you can join my game for a bit. That should get you levelled up really fast, making the beginning part easier.

Are you using Hard to Kill in your build? It isn’t good for late game, but it’s pretty decent when starting out, between that and the health regen when Gunzerking, you should be able to retreat a bit and regain health…

No, I was trying to follow this build posted above:

https://bl2skills.com/gunzerker.html#505050551515455000515104000000000

Is it possible to respec later in the game?

And that’ll be great once you have the guns that allow you to regen health depending on the damage you do, yadda yadda. You’re not there yet. Not even close.

Go back to the village with Hammerlock, you should be able to fast travel there, you can respec, same place where you can choose your looks.

I played through the game with a Gunzerker, and I found that when I was dying a lot, it was because I wasn’t taking advantage of my special enough. Don’t save it like a precious cooldown, it’s meant to be used early and often.

EDIT: that build is all dps and minimal survival talents, far more of an endgame/coop build rather than a leveling build.

You can respect whenever you want, it’s one of those points where you can change the character skin.

Respec and take all of the stuff that boosts health regen while zerking, and anything that makes zerking last longer/refresh. Gunzerking is pretty much immortality mode once you get points in it, and can be sustained for a long time due to refresh.

Two things remain a constant in BL2 regardless of what class you play.

1. Do every possible side quest, if you are under leveled, it doesn’t matter what you do, you’ll just die a lot to bullet sponges. BL is very very bad in terms of exponential change in player power vs mob level.

2. Early on, concentrate on skills that add to health maintenance.

Gunzerker is actually on the easier side of classes to level, as they have a great self sustain mechanic, actually…the best self sustain mechanic in the game.

It’s something I’m not liking in the game. In fact I’m playing now less because of it.
The fact the game is designed in a way that, if you happen to do all the quests, and do them in a logical order (from lower difficulty to higher) from the mid point of the game you will be overleveled for most of them. I just beat the bunker boss while being 3 levels above the recommended level and it was too easy.
So doing all the quests punishes you with a boring, too-easy game. It’s like it’s balanced to only do 75% of the quests, not 100% of them.

This has always been my big beef with all of these, there is way too much weight placed on your level vs mobs. There is such a narrow sweet spot, it’s really annoying.