Borderlands 3 - More cel-shaded loot

You know how the stupid idiots in charge wanted Anthem to be an unmemeable dirge of a game? It’s good to see the creators of Borderlands continuing to take the complete opposite stance.

Even though they won’t be half as fun as Handsome Jack, I do hope the Calypso Twins in BL3 are at least half as fun on-screen as the Blazkowicz Twins from Wolfenstein Youngblood.

If they are half as fun as those two, they’ll be about as fun as herpes.

This game does not appeal to me. Goodbye.

Did you like the previous Borderlands games?

No. Maybe the writing redeems them. (Haven’t played them.)

Watching AdmiralBahroo stream this right now. Well, mostly working and peaking in.

Three notes, one of which I think we’;ve seen before:

1. When he completes a quest, it just auto turns in right there.
  2. You can switch the active quest from the main UI via hotkey. no need to go into menus.

Both of these are amazing.

1. You can teleport to your vehicle from the map (I think we’ve seen this before).

I can’t watch the stream, but are there any differences structurally in the game compared to its predecessors? By that, I mean do you still go from Zone A to Zone B in the order the story leads you there or are there opportunities to wander around and explore? Are the zones the same size as Borderlands 2, or are they larger?

There seems to be decent wander potential, especially given that you aren’t forced to return to your quest giver every time to turn one in. But I can’t say with 100% certainty how much more potential there is. I think previews have said it’s supposed to have larger areas than Borderlands 2, but I can’t comment. I’m not glued to the stream, so I miss lots of stuff, and haven’t gotten a lot of good looks at area maps. But the one glimpse I did see (for the car teleport) made it look like a big area.

I did see him go around and so some side quests in what felt like fairly seamless fashion. It seemed like some of them were scattered throughout the world, which I kinda feel like Borderlands 1 did a bit more than 2. And he just sort of went from A to B to C doing them without touching a story mission or a hub or anything.

It’s great there’s so much preview coverage, but I’m just deliberately ignoring all of it. I want to discover all the skill trees, weapon types, and class differences on my own instead of reading about all of it up front.

That’s basically my take on it too. I will look at actual reviews, when they happen, just to be sure there are no deal breakers, but I like finding out stuff.

I am just glad the Steam wait is only 6 months.

Bugs resolved and most of the dlc should be out by then.

The thing that started to bother me in BL2 was the length of the missions. When you sat down to play, you had to commit to 1-2 hrs and the problem was, you really don’t know if it’s 1 or 2 or somewhere in between. If you didn’t finish a mission, the save point was so far back, you really had to start almost from scratch.

Any indication whether there is a better save / restore in BL3?

So, I was all ready to install B2 again to play through it before 3 came out - what with the new DLC and all - and it appears the DLC is no longer free? And all the comments say it’s nowhere near it’s price point of $15? What’s up with them deciding to charge for it? Also, am I missing anything by not having it?

Because, I mean, I’ll just play through RGO again.

The DLC was one of those “free to keep if you download within 1 month of release” promotions, but you had to be paying attention. XCOM2 did something similar with the Tactical Legacy Pack DLC.

Without the DLC, you’re missing some story, but maybe not $15 worth of story. I’m sure it will be included in some ridiculous “95% off BL2 bundle” when BL3 launches. Yes, they could have kept it as a free addon, but they have to appease the shareholders somehow.

The presequel made the combat areas too big, making the second chance skill dificult to use. Introduced annoying enemies and had a weird feel to it.

I completed it recently, with all DLCs, using a DLC character, and I am happy for it, but the flaws where painfull obvius.

Theres a reason even fans skip TPS

Definitely did not like the first boss fight. Had to give up until I could do a side quest that gave me an elemental weapon.

PC requirements posted:

MINIMUM SPECS 1080p Gaming

• OS – Windows 7/8/10 (latest service pack)
  • Processor – AMD FX-8350 (Intel i5-3570)
  • Memory – 6GB RAM
  • Graphics card – AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB)
  • HDD – 75 GB

RECOMMENDED SPECS 1440P Gaming

• OS – Windows 7/8/10 (latest service pack)
  • Processor – AMD Ryzen™ 5 2600 (Intel i7-4770)
  • Memory – 16GB RAM
  • Graphics card – AMD Radeon™ RX 590 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB)
  • HDD – 75 GB

BASIC
General

Graphics API: DirectX 11, DirectX 12
Display: (varies by setup)
Display Mode: Full Screen, Windowed Borderless, Windowed
Resolution : (varies by setup)
Vertical Sync: Off, On
Resolution Scale: 50% - 200% in 25% increments
Limit Frame Rate: Smooth 22-62 FPS, Capped 30 FPS, Capped 50 FPS, Capped 60 FPS, Capped 72 FPS, Capped 120 FPS, Unlimited, Custom
Custom FPS Limit: default 90, minimum 15, maximum 300
Calibrate Display: Brightness and HDR
Calibrate Safe Area: Adjust the boundary of the UI
Field of View: default 90, minimum 70, maximum 110
Vehicle Field of View: default 90, minimum 70, maximum 110
HUD Scale: default 1, minimum 0.6, maximum 1.3

ADVANCED
Preferences

Display Stats: Off, FPS, All (FPS, CPU, GPU)
Anti Aliasing: None, FXAA, Temporal
FidelityFX Sharpening: Off, On
Camera Motion Blur: Off, On
Object Motion Blur: Off, On

General

Graphics Quality: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Texture Streaming: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Anisotropic Filtering: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x
Material Quality: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Shadows: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Draw Distance: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Environment Texture Detail: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Environment Detail: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Terrain Detail: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Foliage Detail: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Character Texture Detail: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Character Detail: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Ambient Occlusion: Low, Medium, High, Ultra
Volumetric Fog: Off, Medium, High, Ultra
Screen Space Reflections: Off, Medium, High, Ultra

Surprisingly light on the requirements, if they recommend a 1060 for 1440p.