Boston research questions

I’m working on something which requires a bit of knowledge of something I know nothing about. This is not the easiest kind of thing to Google, so I thought I’d put it out here and hope to get some help from Bostonians.

I’m looking for names of upscale suburban neighborhoods outside the city of Boston. The kind of place where people live in big expensive mansion-type houses. Private, secluded-type areas. Either on the outskirts of town or a bit further out would be fine.

Also, is there an area along the coastline where you might find old-fashioned fairground-style amusement piers?

Any suggestions?

I just tried the advanced search function of Zillow.com and that seems like it could tell you where the most expensive homes in Boston are.

Either:
Gary’s writing a book
Gary won the lottery, and is planning to build a haunted amusement park and spooky castle for Scooby-Doo and friends to explore.

Well, the first and last words in upscale Boston neighborhoods are Back Bay and Beacon Hill, but they’re not really suburbs. Newton is a suburb just on the western edge of the city limits which is where many of the upper-middle class and wealthier folk who work downtown live - it’s a pretty big town on its own, so there’s a lot of variation. It’s not really private or secluded, though. Chestnut Hill and Wellesley are similar.

If you want private and secluded, you go farther out to the places connected by commuter rail, but these aren’t necessarily always as wealthy. Living in the city is very expensive, and gets cheaper the farther out you go. But, Concord, Stow, and Acton all come to mind. And of course there’s all the Cape towns.

I’m sure there are amusment piers on the North Shore and on the Cape, but no specific names spring to mind.

What kind of project is this for?

It’s for a movie.

There’s an old tourist town that’s been closed for the winter for years now, out by a little lake upstate.

Shame about the demons and all that. Interior decor is a bit Jacob’s Ladder-esque, also. As for the radio station, sheesh.

This might help, then:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/arts/film/

Ooh! Ooh! Can I play the misunderstood guy that everybody just sort of tolerates? Every movie has that guy.

You must be joking, Chick is a shoe-in for that part.

Looks like the obviously places have been covered, not sure if anyone has mentioned Weston or Lincoln yet, also weathier suburbs. Back Bay and Beacon Hill are definitely two of the nicest parts of Boston. Cambridge is also really nice, sort on in between Boston and the burbs.

Crap. Can I play that guy’s sidekick then?

The place that has not been covered is actually the place where you really ought to set your movie: Providence Rhode Island.

The area around Brown University is super glitzy and filled with mansiony type houses. Also: Boston is way overused as a location.

P.S. Do not call your movie Good Gary Whittaing

The movie is not primarily set in a glitzy neighborhood, this is just for one scene.

Also, I suspect the reason Boston is used so much as a location is because of the 25% tax break you get for shooting there :-)

I hereby declare that if you shoot your mansion scene at my mansion I will give you a 26% tax break.

Manchester by the Sea - Cape Ann
Marblehead

Oh oh, I want to be in a movie! What’s the absolute minimum involvement to get yourself an imdb.com listing? That’s on my list of things to do before I die.

Mattapan for the win.

Gary, you have to shoot your film inside Spoofy’s mansion, with exteriors in Marblehead. I mean that, that’s just fucking serendipity, baby.

graller’s got the best suggestions so far I’d say. But honestly you can find mansions in most of the surrounding towns, from Cohasset to Nahant. Try going by what sounds right for whatever it is. If you want really private and secluded upscale, try Martha’s Vineyard or Nantucket.

Nantucket wouldn’t be year round though.

I’m looking for names of upscale suburban neighborhoods outside the city of Boston. The kind of place where people live in big expensive mansion-type houses. Private, secluded-type areas. Either on the outskirts of town or a bit further out would be fine.

What period? Are you looking for ostentatious? I have a friend who lives in a sort of faux castle in Milton but its not a neighborhood thing. Marblehead is good suggestion, shipping money.