Bottles of Parmesan cheese and minced onion hard to find?

So much this. If a wedge of parm gets moldy, scrape the mold off. And eat it.

Use a food processor or even an attachment to a Kitchenaid mixer. Those machines will dominate your cheeses in seconds, no additives, no starch… just the good stuff grated. The time sink in cleaning could be saved by a dishwasher although I tend to wash those things by hand myself.

Indeed. I spent my childhood eating Kraft wood pulp. No more!

Get one of these.

Grating parm takes five seconds. But be careful. It;s as sharp as a mandolin. It will take off skin and fingernails.

I recently played Frostpunk, sawdust is still an optional food additive in the future.

Saw dust is used on all shredded cheeses, otherwise they would clump. Or would clump more than they do. I stopped buying bags of shredded cheddar for the same reason. You forget how flavorless the pre-processed stuff is until you stop using it.

First job out of college, I told a table full of working moms that no one should buy shredded cheese. Guess who got shredded that day.

Is minced onion the dried stuff, or do they actually sell bottles of diced onions?

Dried.

DID SOMEONE SAY PARMESAN?

giphy-downsized

The parts of the mold you see are only the reproductive parts of the mold. 90% of the mold is still in the cheese afterward, invisible.

Pecorino Romano is less points if you are on Weight Watchers! So it is more Wonderful!

Yes that is our house!!!

Anyone for some pasta with your cheese?

That is why we buy the bags from Costco there is never enuff!! : )

This thread is nightmare fuel!

This is somewhat less true on hard cheeses, which mold doesn’t infiltrate as quickly.

I mean, if you’re super allergic to mold and can afford to buy a new wedge, no sense risking it, but a solid cheese like parmagiano reggiano is less porous to the mold than, say, a loaf of bread.

Real parma is 2 years old already, you can’t kill it, only eat it

Yep. It’s exceedingly important that you do the cut mold off and eat thing only with the right types of cheese. Fortunately, the internet has made it possible for everyone to just look that up!

I never knew that. We’ve been cutting the mold off our jack for years. We’re all fine so far…

Edit: ok, I read the article and they talk about things like cottage cheese, which, yes, is a cheese but it’s a different form factor. I don’t think I would eat out of the same cottage cheese container that had mold in it.

Judging by my morning trip to the grocery store, we are getting back to full stockpile mode again. Lots of things were sold out. They had tons of bottles of parmesan though. :-)

I never use grated parmesan, but various brands of shredded are available in my local stores, not to mention wedges of actual reggiano at not too dear a price, easy enough to run a grater over. But all my local supermarkets have had random shortages of products in various categories over the last year, so I suspect this is another such random local glitch in the supply chain rather than a national-level problem. As for minced onions, no idea.

Also: I love reggiano, but I hate romano.