Brackets people! (March Madness!)

Yes, it’s that time of year again, when normally sane American males obsess over this strange thing called “brackets.”

Because my beloved UW went from an 0-5 start in conference play to finish 2nd in the Pac-10 and give Stanford it’s only loss, I too have become a “bracketologist.” So I’ll discuss the Pac-10’s three tourney teams.

I’m convinced that the selection committee spited Washington for making them have to choose a team with a high RPI. So we get the 8th seed in the Midwest. We grabbed one of the last at-large berths and “squeeked” in, but they put us in the “kiss-of-death” 8/9 slot. We gotta play Alabama-Birmingham in the first round, which is probably going to be one of the toughest first-round games, namely because both teams run like there’s no tomorrow. Survivor of that game gets to meet #1 Kentucky next, unless the #16 seed manages the mother of all upsets. However, I like UW’s chances against Kentucky, as we match up with them well. Plus, this team has no fear of #1 teams. Only thing is we gotta beat UAB first.

The selection comittee also doesn’t seem to like the Pac-10, because they gave Arizona a #9 seed in the South. If they beat Seton Hall, then they’ll probably draw #1 Duke (unless #16 pulls the upset). Actually, now that I think of it, Duke isn’t too bad. They’ve 7-4 in their last 11 games. They’re vulnerable. But the Wildcats have had issues (UW beat them 3 times this season), and they seriously need to get their crap together fast.

Stanford gets a #1 seed out West, but odds are they face Maryland and UConn. Not good at all. Stanford also got unbelievably lucky on a number of wins this season (the WSU game, the Arizona game); if not for the Grace of God and the Love of Jesus, their record would have a few more losses on it. My bet is Stanford gets knocked before the Final Four.

What a FRICKIN GREAT first round! The Big Dance is the second best thing in college sports, what an awesome time of year…

Woolen, nice wordwork, putting ‘squeaked’ in the sentence about the Huskies’ pairing with UAB. Loved it! I’m looking forward to watching that game.
I’ve always been more of a Huskies guy than a Wazzoo guy, so I’m happy they’re there, but the real roundball action is on the Eastern side of the state. Can’t wait to see the Zags take on GaTech.

Speaking of Eastern, wtf happened to them in the second half? Or I guess you could rephrase and say wtf was wrong with the Pokes in the first?

I agree with you on Arizona, they’re overrated. But of course, now that the first round’s almost over and they’re gone, that’s pretty much the same as saying, “I would’ve watched out for the water main!”

I’m a bit disappointed in only 3 upsets so far, but somehow I picked both 2 victorious 12 seeds to advance (Manhattan was easy, Pacific wasn’t). However, the 7-10 and 8-9 games generally own me, with Seton Hall as the only one of those I’ve gotten, pending the last two tonight. Now I’m crossing my fingers for Louisville over Xavier and UAB to beat your Huskies.

Old Man Gravy Wrote
The Big Dance is the second best thing in college sports

So, what is the best thing in college sports? I’m not even that big a basketball fan, but March Madness always seems to grab me… :)

Memorial Day Lacrosse Championships…duh. Granted, I may be the only one around here who feels that way, but I sure hope Gravy didn’t mean the D1 football shampionship, ‘cause that’s just frickin’ joke.

I’m all for that. UVA student here. Granted, we have not started off this year that great, but we finished last year off with a bang. :D

UAB Grad here. Condolences Woolen. What a great game!!!

RE: Upsets

Richmond screwed me. A guy I worked with pulled off some competer probabilities which showed which teams were most likely to advance through which rounds. He never watches basketball. I believe he missed only four out of the first round.

Good question, and I’m glad you asked :wink:

The best thing in college sports is the Division I-AA football tournament.
Because, well, it’s football, and it’s a championship that is actually settled on the field. None of that Vote-A-Champ BCS bullshzt.

But March Madness is definitely a very close second.

Missed 7 for the first round for my best bracket. Ah well.

— Alan

Bastards!
Seriously, that was a great fzckin game. I wasn’t sure UAB was gonna make their free throws at the end there, but they showed some poise. Good luck to them in the second round. Kaintuck shouldn’t be too terribly tough now, should they? :shock:

Straight picking the higher seed would have tied that. Don’t believe the hype.

Straight picking the higher seed would have tied that. Don’t believe the hype.[/quote]

I know. So irritating. I try to get all fancy and pick a few upsets and someone grabs a chart off of the internet and is in the lead. Last year he came in last out of 20 some odd entrants in our pool and got his 5 dollars back. Grrr!

Bastards!
Seriously, that was a great fzckin game. I wasn’t sure UAB was gonna make their free throws at the end there, but they showed some poise. Good luck to them in the second round. Kaintuck shouldn’t be too terribly tough now, should they? :shock:[/quote]

I have noticed many teams with players who excel at the free throw line. Whereas in the past decade or so, I had thought practicing FTs was approaching extinction. Glad to see some coaches still force there kids to shoot 'em.

Coach Anderson has done a pretty good job with Nolan Richardson’s philosophy. Those guys are in shape. Not sure how it’ll work against KY, though.

I lost NINE games in the first round!! Nine! Luckily, only one (Florida…I really thought they would do better) messed up later brackets for me.

In an odd, and not intentional twist, I have two SEC teams going to the final game. Maybe my Vandy homerism is influencing my picks! (not that Vandy is one of the two teams, mind you)

HOMER! I picked Vandy to go to the Elite 8, IIRC.

The SEC is pretty strong w/ a lot of parity. I never can figure if they are good or not as they beat up on each other consistently. I guess we’ll see if Bama craps out today. They were very uneven throughout season.

Wow.

My second round is a major shambles with both Gonzaga and Stanford out. Might as well put my hopes away right now.

— Alan

My situation exactly :(

I had Maryland going to the final four. Still, I have Kentucky and Miss. State to hold onto for a while yet. I had Gonzaga losing early, so no biggie there. Stanford hurt, but not much. I’m still in it, but my wife is kicking my ass! The Stanford pick hurt her bad though. I think she had them going to the final game and losing to OSU.

Yay-uh. That’s what I’m talking about! Vandy’s goin all the way! Damn, what an exciting game. I had just about given up on them. Of course, that intentional foul was bogus…I’ll admit that. Still, Vandy did a great job of not giving up…and Frieje practically carried the team. Moore is having a great tourney as well. If only Pzsyby would start getting physical.