Bradley Cooper’s Hyperion

The first book will make a fun movie. I’m luke warm on the rest.

Cooper will make a great Shrike.

I’m curious who plays Martin Silenius, since in my head he sounded like George Carlin.

Danny DeVito, natch!

You know what? DeVito would be a great fit.

Hugo Weaving for Het Masteen.
Florence Pugh for Brawne Lamia.
Paul Bettany for the consul, since he’s played Chauser already, and this is basically Canterbury Tales.

I can dig it.

This is another book that I’m not sure could work as a movie(it seems perfect for something like an HBO series IMO), but it’s one of my favorites, so I’m interested regardless. I’ve read Fall of Hyperion twice now, and I had a much better time with it on the second go round. It’s not nearly as well paced as book 1, but it ties up a bunch of loose ends better than I had remembered.

I feel like an ep (45-60m?) per story + one to wrap up, and maybe the opener is a bit longer to set things up with The Consul/get the “gang” together, would work great. Alas.

Yes, mini-series is the way to go with this.

Been a long time since I read it. The sequel was ok but basically convinced me I was done with the story. Hasn’t Simmons done more in the series since?

Simmons is also a bit of right-wingnut isn’t he?

Funny, I always had him as more of a Harlan Ellison.

That could work.

Literally always. Any novel worth adapting needs more than 2 hours for the adaptation.

As Deadline notes, this was being developed as a limited series for SyFy. So maybe it’s a blessing it’s now out of SyFy’s hands and isi being turned into a movie.

I’m not sure where he landed personally, but he had a brief moment of Obama derangement syndrome in his writing and then straightened back up. I can’t say if that was him coming to his senses or just learning to hide it.

Four books. But I only read the first two.

This was an interesting take:

The change-up in adapting the IP as a movie instead of a limited series is to provide the IP with more breadth and scope that the expansive story demands.

Not sure how you can suggest that going from 6-10 hours of storytelling you’d get in a network season to 2.5 hours in a movie means adding more “breadth and scope” to the story.

Though I’m sure it does add breadth and scope to the budget!

Dune-2000-Artisan-MS-ScreenShot-117

vs

I’ve read Endymion and Rise of Endymion. I enjoyed both. It’s a fun universe.

Lol if they actually made a show worthy of that book I’d be so surprised I’d fly out to LA and reveal my true identity to Tom. That’s how unlikely that seems.

How on earth do they think that’s even possible? I think someone hasn’t read the book.

BTW i feel the same way about Robert Jordan’s Eye of the World series. Just no way. (though i will watch)