Braid

It’s up on XBLA already.

Played through the first world.

Wow.

Waiting the pc version.

If anything, the gushing early blog buzz on Braid probably biased me towards judging the game more harshly than I would otherwise. I jumped into it with the same sort of skepticism I tend to have when some indier-than-thou hipster tells me I should listen to this great new college band, or watch some film-school student film shot on a shoestring budget.

But it turns out that Braid is a fantastic game from start to finish that never forgets that whatever other goals you might have as a game designer, above all the game needs to be fun, period, and it is.

You have’t seen the real ‘Wow’ stuff yet. ;)

-Julian

I was gonna give up on the review and dismiss it as another “game is art blah blah” until this :

At this point, I suspect I’ll have lost a lot of you. Understandably wary of artistic pretension in games, and heartily sick of videogame reviewers indulging their frustrated poetic tendencies, you’ll see just another low-budget platform game lavished with praise by jaded critics just because of its indie roots. You’ll see a clichéd story being praised for its emotional depth. You’ll see the time manipulation being praised as an act of remarkable design innovation, and you’ll scoff at how Blinx, Prince of Persia and TimeShift all did it first. On all fronts, you’ll be wrong.

Now I’m officially interested

I’m not a huge fan of platformers, but my experience with the game was just utterly fantastic. I really cannot wait for the pc version.

This is quite a confused argument, that I’m having real problems getting my head around. Jonathon has done quite a bit of good and clever marketing for Braid around the web and generated decent interest. His speaking appearances and blogging were what made me notice Braid, at least. But that wouldn’t have mattered a jot if it wasn’t accompanied with the some quite startling reports that the game is, ya know, dead good. Edge don’t go handing out 9’s for any old tosh.

So, does arty = insta-hype. I dunno. I’m just super-glad people are pushing games as a form of individual expression.

Not to jump in the arty discussion, because after playing Braid World 2. All I have to say is that Jonathan Blow is so much a smarter man than me.

I, too, was surprised, but at least I didn’t know it before.

I’m surprised extarbags is surprised at his surprise.

I’ve played the early beta thingamy Jonathan gave a few of us, and have managed to stay away from actually finishing it so I can do it on the 360.

Damn you, Jonathan, for not putting this on PSN!

Damn you, Gordon, for not owning an X-Box 360!

I have to admit I was blown away by the beauty of the game when seen in motion. It’s actually much more beautiful than I’d thought looking at screenshots and preview videos. I don’t think I can resist holding off on buying the full version until this Sunday.

The first door I come to leads to world 2. Is this intentional? Is there a tutorial world I’m missing?

uhm… wtf??

Live rates at 2008.08.06 17:09:03 UTC

15.00 USD = [B]15.6916 CAD

[/B]No thanks, MS. Even Sony finally has put stuff on par (or close) as of a few months ago.

That converter isn’t Microsoft’s though - whoever made it probably hasn’t updated that. I’d be surprised if it actually matches how MS is currently converting USD to CAD.

Guess what people in Europe are paying. :) Which also kinds of screws Euro developers who publish software through the Xbox Live Community Games channel since all your earned points are being converted inoto US$ before being converted into whatever currency you’ll end up receiving, despite the fact that Microsoft Points follow the ‘$1 = €1’ rule.

-Julian

At retail, 1400 MS points is $19.99 CAD (plus tax). I dunno how that works out, and I don’t know if you save money by purchasing points on the console, but I believe you still have to buy 800/1400/3400 amounts, right?

I’d love to buy this, but I’m using my gamer tag on my friend’s 360 as mine died. Should I buy it and save it to his HDD or slap my HDD on it and buy it and send in my 360 without the HDD?

I’m kinda stuck since I started playing single player games on his HDD - I can’t move those to mind, can I?

I’ve just started the demo but yeesh the expository text before the game starts is some truly godawful prose.

“Memories of their relationship have become muddled, replaced wholesale, but one remains clear: the Princess turning sharply away, her braid lashing at him with contempt.”

"He knows she tried to be forgiving, but who can just shrug away a guilty lie, a stab in the back? Such a mistake will change a relationship irreversibly, even if we have learned from the mistake and would never repeat it. "

“Suppose we could tell her: ‘I didn’t mean what I just said,’ and she would say: ‘It’s okay, I understand,’ and she would not turn away, and life would proceed as though we had never said that thing?”

“Tim and the Princess lounge in the castle garden, laughing together, giving names to the colorful birds. Their mistakes are hidden from each other, tucked away between the folds of time, safe.”

Is this a game or SomethingAwful forum relationship thread?

Besides what I think is an improper use of the word “we” a few times, I don’t see any problem with that text. Hell, the “we” usage might be a hint at something that I’m totally missing.