Brand New Cherry Flavor, a.k.a. Channel Zero: Season Five on Netflix

Hey, no fair! I’m the one going to bat for the series and even I hated the ending. Specifically, that it wasn’t even an ending!

To explain, nothing is really resolved between Lisa Nova and Boro other than their sekrit identities. Then Boro just jumps into a new body and now we’re supposed to have a season two? But with Boro played by that forgettable young woman who played the lady love interest instead of Catherine Keener? Ugh, no thanks.

I wish I could be so lucky as to misremember how it ended. :)

And thanks right back at you! I realize Brand New Cherry Flavor isn’t for everyone, and I’m always happy to have discussions with folks who feel differently about something. If you ever get the chance to check out Channel Zero, I recommend you jump straight to EL Katz’s Dream Door, which is season four. I’d be curious to know what you think, and I bet dollars to donuts you’d like it more than Brand New Cherry Flavor.

-Tom

I can watch Channel Zero season 4 using late '90s technology: my local library has it on DVD! Which is weird since it didn’t come out until 2019, but that’s just how time travel works.

I’ll take notes and report back :)

My gal and I watched this a couple weeks ago. It’s been on my mind since. It was good stuff, for a lot of the reasons mentioned above - Keener and Salazar were both great, lots of twists and turns to the script.

But I really liked it for another reason- it was a really nostalgic period piece for me. It really reminded me of the '90s, when it was set. This is a little self-centered, but eh, so be it.

Most “'90s” movies, from Singles to Captain Marvel don’t really reflect my experience- all grunge and flannel and oooh, a Blockbuster Video! Remember that? But BNCF really hit on the shit my friends and I were into-

• indie movies and shorts by unknown directors
  • they went full-Cronenberg with weird sex/organs
  • butoh dancers
  • the very '90s soundtrack that avoids the hits- REM ‘Low’, instead of ‘Losing My Religion’, ‘Tomorrow, Wendy’ by Concrete Blonde instead of ‘Joey’, etc, and completely avoiding the usual grunge crap associated with the period.
  • driving shitty 80’s cars
  • chaos magic
  • shamanism and psychedelics ala Terrence MecKenna
  • hatian-style-zombies

Probably more, but you get the gist.

Finally started this and hoo boy is it a bucket of awesome weirdness. I believe I am halfway through and it does bring to mind many of the things mentioned throughout the thread in a neatly wrapped package. I don’t know what I expected or quite what I am getting yet, but I do know I like it.

Tom what have you done to my eyes? Kittens being birthed through stomach vaginas? Impromptu brain surgery with cannibalism? Faceless horrors that live under apartments?

Gross, gross, gross.

But I have to keep watching because Catherine Keener is so damn good.

Start of episode 6 there is a transition from a milky bath to a character mixing a white russian in a different location. Brilliant!