Breakfast Cereals

I have not eaten breakfast cereals (as a proper breakfast as in a bowl with milk ) in several decades. I have decided to try them again and there is a lot to choose from. The two things I want from a choice is that it is flavorful and reasonably healthy to eat. Id like to get several recommendations so I can have some variety as well. I have picked up some Basic 4 which is decent, but apparently has some bad things in it although I do not know how bad other then some googling said to avoid it.

Anyway, recommendations are welcome.

This is so fucking yummy that I have it on amazon.com subscription. I get a case of this every couple of months:

Includes rolled oats, brown rice flour, pumpkin seeds, and flax seeds. Good source of omega fatty acids. Sweetened with evaporated sugar cane juice instead of refined sugar.

Edit: BASIC 4?!? Dude, that’s a 25+ -year old brand. Get some Nature’s Path cereals. Good thing you started this thread. :-)

Quaker Oat Squares. Like Garth Brooks, it’s county, and it’s rock and roll!

Basic 4 is what I was going to recommend, and then I saw that that’s what you already got. I have no idea how healthy it is, and I kind of suspect that most cereal is nowhere near as healthy as its makers would have you believe, but it definitely is tasty.

I forget the source exactly, but I recall a report that all mass market breakfast cereals are nutritionally more or less the same, since they’re all basically just corn or rice + added vitamins. This is borne out by the nutritional information on the packages.

Of course, there are some exceptions, like granola / muesli based ones, and outliers like Total, which is just corn + more vitamins, etc, but largely you’re are well off eating corn flakes as you are eating Cookie Crisp.

I love good old fashioned Cherrios. Lately my cereal of choice has been Special K with protein. I like the Kashi stuff, too, but haven’t had it in a while. With anything I try to avoid a lot of sugar which eliminates a lot of the cereals out there.

Special K with Freeze-dried Strawberries. It’s good shit. I have no idea what the nutritional value is, but it has actual slices of freeze-dried strawberry in it. I’ll eat most anything freeze-dried.

Cap’n Crunch. Simple answer. I mean, sure, you can eat a bowl of wet cardboard with some yogurt-crusted berries in it, but what would be the point? Enjoy your breakfast and take a multivitamin!

Lately, I’ve been sticking to that Kashi GoLean stuff. Sure, it’s boring, and a little twiggy, but it was on sale for a darn good price and it’s high in fiber and protein, low in sugar, and (alas) null in cocoa.

The best way to enjoy breakfast is to not eat cereal :). Eggs ftw.

Ooh, that’s a good one. I might pick some up for the weekend.

Most mass market breakfast cereals are full of sugar and salt. You’re not doing your body any favours by consuming them and they are certainly not healthy in any way.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8630446.stm

Better eat some bread and fruit. And maybe some salad.

I give you a tasty Colon Blow alternative!

http://www.fiberone.com/product/cereals.aspx?key=honey

What you need to do is have the greatest fighting game tournament of all-time approximately bi-annually and call it Cereal Bowl. You’ll be able to try pretty much any cereal you can think of and have so many boxes left over you won’t need to buy cereal for at least a year.

Chocolate Cheerios.

Sheesh there’s always a health nazi. Salad for breakfast? ick. A donut may have less sugar then a sweet cereal, but it’s the fat/oil/lard that kills you. (btw, fruit has a lot of sugar too!)

I enjoy Frosted Mini-Wheats Big Bite Cereal.

I want tasty AND healthy unless you claim this fits the bill.

OK, I ordered a 6 pack, I hope your right.

You can get that from any supermarket too… Buying in bulk is great if you know you like it, but maybe you’ll hate it.

This, minus any reference to Garth Brooks. And the brown sugar ones are the good ones, not the cinnamon ones.