Breakfast Cereals

I personally go with Weetabix. I usually add a teaspoonful of honey, which makes it fairly tasty and feels better for my conscience than banging down some refined sugar. My fairly cursory research suggests that it contains far less salt and sugar than similarly “healthy” cereals like Special K. Which is not to say it in itself is actually healthy, of course.

The other nice thing is that it takes about twenty seconds to prepare, with no preparation. There’s no way I’m pissing about making an omelette or a fruit salad every morning when I have about twenty minutes to get ready and out the door.

You can find it in some supermarkets. Or, give me an address and I’ll send you a box.

Goes really nice with icecream also. Sometimes when I’m low on milk, I’ll just use icecream instead. Yes, I realize that defeats the purpose. I’ll also throw some Amarula over the icecream/cereal too.

I’m sure it’s not as healthy as some of the other suggestions in the thread. But then again, I can’t stand a bowl of granola. Bleh.

Are Cheerios healthy?

I don’t really know what “healthy / unhealthy” means in reference to cereal, but IIRC, one of the few differentiations about granola is that it is surprisingly high in fat.

I discovered this on my own when my upmarket healthy cereal had 13 grams of sugar per serving.

so I dropped that and now eat basic shredded wheat.

This. You can do anything with Weet-bix, which is great. Hell, pour hot water over a biscuit or two and it’s porridge!

Right now, admittedly, I’m chowing on Mom’s Natural Oats, if memory serves on the name, which is the organic variety of Lucky Charms. Less sugars (no corn syrup), no preservatives blah blah etc., all the delicious marshmallowy sweetness.

Lunch of Kong managed to pick a Nature’s Path cereal I just cannot stand. But I’m not a granola fan. I prefer the Flax Plus Pumpkin Raisin Crunch. Costco carries the big boxes of Flax Plus Flakes to which I add whatever else I want; usually its raisins and walnuts.

Cap’n Crunch is fine if you want to start your day by tearing up the roof of your mouth. If you want sweet cereal without the flesh-shredding, go for Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Flakes.

If you want something tasty that appears to be slightly healthier, go for Honey Bunches of Oats. Plus, HBoO has enough variants that you can pick the flavor version you like, e.g. almonds, vanilla, cinnamon, etc.

We don’t eat boxed cereal after discovering Alton Brown’s granola recipe. Really easy to make, and you can modify the ingredients however you wish.

Nothing wonderful was ever achieved without a little bit of pain. That’s why you follow it up with a vodka chaser, to sterilize everything.

Kellog’s All Bran!

This. Plus, it’s rabbit-poo-resembling cousin, All Bran Buds, which has an astonishingly gratifying 51% of your recommended daily fiber intake. Yes, I said 51%! Two bowls of this in one day, and your colon will most heartily thank you… repeatedly…

I personally like the Kashi Organic Cinnamon Harvest. It’s really good.

I drink that Carnation Instant Breakfast stuff, the sugar free version only has 7g of sugar, and it fills me up.

Honey Bunches of Oats vanilla is awesome. The almond kind is pretty good too.

Nature’s Path is doing it right. Their cranberry ginger cereal is tasty. Pretty much all their Optimum cereals are good tasting and good for you.

I prefer high-protein cereals - or rather, I need to get enough protein in my breakfast to keep my blood sugar in check or I get all twitchy. I like Kashi’s GOLEAN Crunch! and Nature’s Path’s Blueberry Cinnamon cereal. Kirkland / Costco has a really good Cinnamon Pecan cereal (ironicially I can’t find it on Costco’s website), although by itself it isn’t enough protein for me; it also got top marks from Consumer Reports, IIRC, for both taste and nutrition.

Also in the high-protein cereal vein, I recommend Kellogg’s Steak-O’s and General Mills’ Pork Chex.

It takes up less time than sitting and eating a bowl of cereal, while being essentially the same thing.