Breakfast Cereals

I think the confusions was:

That’s a good point!

The version that isn’t sugar free has 19g of sugar. :P

The sugars in the sugar free version come from the nonfat milk powder (which has lactose) and the maltodextrin, I would imagine.

And my bad, it’s actually the “no sugar added” version as opposed to “sugar free.”

I can’t eat that. Why is the food shouting at me? It’s too early for loud food.

Although, on the healthy side of things, if I need to lose weight really quickly, a box of Cracklin’ Oat Bran usually does the trick.

About a year ago I stopped using milk in my cereal and switched to greek yogurt in my cereal. With a high protein cereal like some of the kashi’s it’s very filling.

Another vote for Honey Bunches of Oats. Actually I get the generic bag equivalent, Honey Nut Krunchers maybe? I forget the name but whichever one you get is damn good stuff.

If you’re doing that, make sure you’re using low fat yogurt, otherwise you’d be negating your potential. Some yogurts can actually be quite fattening.

I don’t want to derail a thread with a rehash of an old rant, so I’ll just say: Reading this thread really makes me appreciate how much Taubes’s Good Calories, Bad Calories changed my view of nutrition.

I learned something in this thread: You can subscribe to cereal.

I always liked Great Grains, but it’s one of the many things I’ve given up to get my blood sugar down. Now when I eat cereal, it’s Special K.

Oatmeal. You can make it as healthy or not-healthy as you like, according to what you add. You can prepare it once a week in bulk in a rice cooker or crockpot, then reheat portions each day. Or you can be lazy and slightly less healthy and just use the instant stuff.

I have a rice cooker. Does cooking oatmeal that way, as opposed to in the microwave, make a big difference?

Microwaves? Rice cookers? How do you regulate the temperature to prevent the milk you add to the water to cook the oatmeal from boiling over?

+1 for Quaker Oat Squares. That shit is awesome. Also, just about anything with a mix of flakes and nuts and puffs and stuff is fantastic if you stir it into fruit yogurt instead of milk.

I never cook oatmeal in milk. I cook it in water and then add milk later to cool it down and make it creamier.

EDIT: Man, between this thread and the banner ad, I’m jonesin’ for some cereal. There’s a 7-11 right across the street from the hotel I’m in. (CHICAGO, baby!) And I have a fridge in the room. Hmmmmm. You people are the devil.

If you’re making the awesome kind of oatmeal – the steel-cut stuff – I think it would work pretty well in the rice cooker, but I’m sceptical of the microwave.

If you’re not making steel-cut oatmeal, then you are eating a sad, sad oatmeal in comparison to what you could be having.

Oatmeal with shredded coconut & walnuts. Steel-cut, but I just microwave it, with tap water. <thread crossover!>

Since changing my diet a few years back to cut out sugar, I don’t eat cereal very often but when I do it’s usually either Grape Nuts (which a friend refers to as rocks and sand) or Shredded Wheat & Bran. Neither cereal has any sugar in it. I also use unsweetened soy milk instead of the kind from a moo cow. I will usually add some fresh blueberries or strawberries but I don’t consider a bit of sugar from fruit to be a bad thing.

General Mill’s Raisin Nut Bran, with a few extra raisins (1/3rd of a box) thrown in.

Unlike a lot of breakfast cereals, this sticks with me long enough until lunch so I don’t have the 10:00 AM munchies.

It’s that the version Athryn likes doesn’t charge for the sugar.

If you’re using instant, then there’s no point using the rice cooker. If you’re using steel-cut, then I think rice cooker cooked tastes better, but of course it takes a long time, so its not as convenient. I haven’t done it for a while, but I used the porridge setting on my rice cooker, and the timer so it cooked it during the night and was ready in the morning. You have to be careful about the amount you cook though, too much and the rice cooker boils over. I also cook my oatmeal in water, not milk. No idea what would be involved if you used milk.

When I eat cereal I usually go for Cinnamon Toast Crunch. It’s like a bowl of crack.