Breaking Bad

It also mirrors the way Jack shot Hank in mid-sentence.

Exactly. I really liked the call back.

I didnt get that at all, I thought he was talking to heisenberg or to walt. One of the two needed to figure out how to get him back west, the other was promising to finish everything up.

I dont think he would have even hit the floor if Jessie wasnt there and in the state he was in, the plan was for that gun to chew up everyone.

I wondered about that myself.

There was no guarantee that everyone would cluster about within the arc of the gun, or that some wouldn’t have a chance to drop and avoid the fire. It was a one-trick pony that had no real back-up beyond Walt scavenging a dropped handgun in the confusion. He may well have intended to stay standing rather than remain alive in the hands of any survivors. Clearly by his comments to others he had a low expectation, at best, of surviving beyond the encounter.

I agree with this with the exception being the area of effect has to involve everyone he wanted dead. Does this mean everyone in the gang? Not necessarily. Todd and his uncle? Of course, but once you get past that I’m not sure how far he’d go to make sure everyone is dead.

That’s why I think he was eyeing his keys so desperately. He saw that he could get everyone right there, but the keys were out of reach. Let’s say they brought Jesse in, but one of the gang(not Todd or Jack) wandered off. Would Walt have held fire, would he have then chased after the lone guy? I don’t think so, I think it’d play out just as it did with the difference being one of the gang ran away to whatever fate awaits him.

Yeah, I’ve been wondering what Walt would have done if he hadn’t gotten tagged by the autogun. I think he wanted to go out with everyone knowing for sure that he was Heisenberg, the genius meth kingpin. I think he would have pretty much done what he did, gone to the lab and hugged the equipment until the authorities came to pick him up. I’m not sure he would have given Jesse the gun if he wasn’t already fatally wounded, but since he was, he threw Jesse a bone and gave him a shot at his own revenge.

I think he would have given Jesse the gun regardless of whether he was bleeding out (but again, I also think he knew Jesse wouldn’t kill him and in fact was playing him one last time, but in a good way because giving Jesse the option to kill him and having Jesse not take it helps Jesse reassert his own basic humanity), but I also think that Walt’s original plan didn’t only involve him being killed by the M60 but Jesse too.

At the time he arrived to the compound he was working with incomplete information and I think he really did assume Jesse was working with them and not a slave-cook. I think his original plan was to goad them into getting Jesse in there and then him firing off the gun with his primary targets being Jack, Jesse, Todd and himself, and whoever else happened to get hit. Once he realized Jesse’s actual situation, the dive-on-Jesse to save him plan took over.

Except no. When she met with Todd in the previous episodes she sat at a different table, the square tables near the window.

Say what you like about Walt, he was a clutch motherfucker. I still remember how delighted I was when he ran his little Aztek over the two drug dealers threatening Jesse. Such a humble car. So practical.

Her regular was taken. Or more likely continuity error. Or practical shot set-up (had to show Walt further in the restaurant). Or retroactive analysis by Walt - but she was shown to be a stickler about doing everything the exact same way.

At one of the LA Auto Shows, I told the Pontiac people that they had made the butt-ugliest car in creation (well, at the time - I remember the VW Thing). They agreed.

It was the perfect car for early Walt.

I liked the ending; I felt it tied everything up pretty nicely, and it was overall a solid ending to a great series. But it defiantly left me wanting something more… Everything that happened was too obvious, save the Gretchen and Elliot thing. I thought they would do something a little more interesting. I saw one alternate ending / addition, where 16 years later a girl comes into her chemistry class, and tells the professor she was talking to her other teacher. The professor is Jesse, and he just smiles and says thats okay Holly.

It wouldn’t really add anything but it would just be a nice little nod, or just something unexpected. Everything that happened was easy to expect really.

And I don’t understand AT ALL how you could say the ending is religious LOL. That’s incredible. Really stretching the definition there. Also, you can make any theory where “oh, they died and everything is a dream” is the theory. That isn’t really a theory. That’s almost like saying Walt has been in a coma since they ran out of water and he was found naked. Sure, it works, but its a stupid theory.

Kyle, that would be a sweet note to end on. Maybe something for after the credits roll, like an Easter egg or something. Holly could call him Mr. Pinkman.

Nah.

Ends that make sense are better than Philip K. Dick-ish finals where everyone was dreaming the whole time, or in some hard to define limbo.

This end is ok-ish. I suppose.

I kind of want to see maybe 10-15 years from now, someone make a movie starring Aaron Paul that’s a bit like A History of Violence, as sort of an implied sequel to BrBa but never directly stated.

A History of SCIENCE!

Hadn’t watched the last 8 episodes yet. We DVR’d the last 8 in the marathon on Sunday and binge-watched yesterday.

Honestly, just a perfect ending for the show for me and my wife. Which is interesting, because we were on different sides of the spectrum. She absolutely hated Walt by the time we reached the final episode. I, on the other hand, was pulling for him. In the end, it worked for both of us. Walt goes out on his terms, as the bigshot, completing his revenge on not just the meth world but his old partners as well. Yet he only gets a fraction of his money back, his family hates him and are miserable, and he dies friendless.

Breaking Bad should be taught as a class in film school. I want future screenwriters and directors to see what they should be striving for.

A friend sent me this excellent post-mortem on NPR