Breaking Bad

I don’t think the original plan for Jesse dying in season 1 is any reason to believe he’s going to die now. He still could, but not because of any plan they had ages ago.

And Walt could live or die. I think it’s obvious this all ends horribly for Walt—dying alone with his “freedom” in New Hampshire was basically his best case scenario at this point and that was already a pretty horrible fate, and we’ve still got time for things to get even worse. But it could be one of those fate-worse-than-death scenarios, ending with an inevitable death from cancer still in his near future, but having to spend his remaining time facing the horrible consequences of what he’s done. Maybe in jail, maybe with more death in his family, maybe both, who knows? Walt’s mortality—let’s call it “variably imminent demise”—have certainly been central to the show, but I don’t think that means we have to see him die.

This could have been the shortest series ever.

Elliott and Gretchen: Walt, we’d like to pay for your cancer treatment.
Walt: That would be great, thanks.

My only real hope for the series was that the “Head Transport Turtle” not make a reappearance…ever. And it seems I’m going to get my wish.

Didn’t Gretchen actually offer that, and the same pride/ego that inspired him during the Charlie Rose interview also had him turn down her offer?

Exactly. If I recall correctly (it’s been a while), Elliott made the offer once (in the guise of a well-paid consultant position), and then Gretchen repeated the offer even after finding out that Walt was lying to Skyler about taking their offer (when he was using meth money instead).

That was the moment Walt stopped being a sympathetic character to me. Everything after that is his choice.

The great thing about it being a prequel is that it means they can bring back Gus and Mike, which they’ve mentioned factored into their decision. Not to mention Huell and Kuby. I’m pretty sure those two didn’t show up until the later seasons, but I don’t think it was explicitly stated that they were new hires.

I do agree that the Cinnabon thing could be awesome. Maybe they’ll do some webisodes/DVD extras for Better Call Saul. Maybe have David Cross as his nemesis, the manager of the pretzel shop across the way.

I love Saul’s character but I have negative interest in his spin off. I really don’t see how it could possibly do anything but hurt the story told in Breaking Bad.

I completely understand turning something like that down. It doesn’t excuse anything else Walt has done, but turning down the “charity” he was being given from a former friend he believed screwed him over (and I also presume there was something in the backstory about how he may have lost Gretchen to Elliott) certainly doesn’t make me less sympathetic to Walt.

Shamelessly screwed him over, and then guilt-edged “charity” - I’m with you. I’m hoping Walt shreds them Tarantino style - “Say ‘hello’ to my Big Fucking Gun 9000!” No, it excuses nothing, but before Walt gets his richly deserved rewards, I don’t mind seeing others get theirs, too. There wouldn’t have been a Heisenberg without them.

I’d say the gun is for the neo nazis (since he knows they have Jessie based on the Heisenberg meth), the ricin is for his dickhole former business partner at Grey Matter. I know they’ve been calling out Lydia’s tea ritual in a way that hints at her getting ricin’d, but I don’t quite see his motivation for going after her at this point. He’ll screw something up though and just make things worse. He won’t get to go out in the epic blaze of glory he envisions; it’s too heroic.

I had thought Jessie was probably going to come through it, but with the murder of Andrea I’m now leaning more toward him dying in the finale. It basically takes away his last ray of hope, and I see it a bit like the telegraphing of Hank’s death when they made a point of his callous disregard (even going so far as his speech spelling it out) for Jessie’s life when the plan was to have him wear a wire. Of course, it’s all so dark for Jessie at this point I don’t think it even matters what happens to him in the finale; he’s already done. There’s no good ending for him now.

I disagree about them not having anywhere to go with Jesse. They could have him parent the boy who was orphaned last time and maybe even reconnect with his parents.

Of course, it’s too late now, but if Jesse were smart and he really hated his parents, he could have cozied up to them after things went south, and then maybe his ex-girlfriend would still be alive. He could have just sat in the truck while Meth executed his mom and been all like, “Bitch! Whatever you do, just don’t shoot Dad.”

“Nothing personal Mr Jesse’s Dad.”

BLAM!

“Bitch!”

The only way he’d get to parent that kid is if he abducted him. It’s probably a better turn than the kid going into the system, but I don’t see it happening. Even if he did, can you imagine how that plays out? “Yo, sorry that my meth cooking got you poisoned and your mom shot, that sucks. Wanna play some xobox yo?” Jessie was already a complete wreck before Andrea was killed in front of him, to punish him.

Anyway, it’s not that there’s nowhere to go, it’s that his only genuinely “good” ending has been closed off. Granite State seemed intended to set everyone on their final course and take away their last bits of self delusion/salvation, and I think Jessie’s final course is pitch black. Even if he lives, I expect he’s ruined. He’s either going to be dead in spirit, or just dead.

Walt may try to save Jessie; finally understanding he’s lost his real son may cause him to want to sacrifice himself to save his surrogate son, but that is ultimately poisoned beyond repair as well.

I expect either 1) Jessie causes a meth lab explosion to kill the Nazis and himself (and Walt just dies pointlessly) 2) Walt comes to save Jessie, but Jessie kills Walt and then probably himself (or they kill each other when Walt can’t handle Jessie still rejecting him).

My hoped for but not gonna happen ending is that Jessie embraces the role of villain (which he has ALMOST done before during his breakdowns), and leads a murderous, horrible, self loathing life as the new meth kingpin, maybe allied with Lydia.

I’ve got 10 bucks that says the ricin is for Lydia. The Grey Matter stuff was a juke, he won’t bother with them. But he will kill some nazis and kill Lydia who as Mike said deserves to die more than any man he’s ever met.

I’d also like to see Jesse live but it seems pretty likely the Scarface foreshadowing will hold and nobody will get out of the final encounter alive.

The ricin is the real wild card (as it should be, given the buildup). I agree they’ve been pointing it at Lydia for a while but this show likes screwing with expectations. I really just can’t see why Walt would care enough to use it on her, but his plans aren’t always clear. You could be right, since as Jessie says whatever you think is going to happen, the exact opposite happens. Walt has some labyrinthine plans.

I kind of hope what happens with the ricin is nothing. Suck it, Chekhov.

Just throwing this out there but what if the ricin is mixed into a batch of meth by Walter?

I’m sure the Neo-Nazis have already taken Brock with them. Otherwise they couldn’t use him as leverage since he’d get lost in the system for a long period of time.

So once Walt shows up and M60s everyone, its not hard to see Walt giving Jesse a barrel or two of money to disappear via vacuum shop with Brock (or for Jesse to take said money if Walt dies).

Ricin is probably for Lydia. She knows too much and could potentially link things back to Walt’s family. I suppose it could be for the Grey Matter folks or whatever, but that doesn’t fit Walt. He doesn’t really kill people out of anger. He kills people because they present a danger to him or his family. Lydia fits that bill, whereas Gretchen and Eliot don’t. If anything he still loves Gretchen and Eliot in his own way. I mean look at when Hank died. Despite it all, he wanted to save Hank - the man who had proof to put him away. He still loved the guy and couldn’t take him out. He even begged for Hank’s life when someone else was going to kill him.

I think things might play out fairly simply. Walt’s big complex plans always backfired in the end. So he’s done being clever and subtle. He bought a machine gun for crying out loud. He’s going out big and loud and trying to redeem himself.

I know the smart money seems to be that the Ricin is destined for Lydia, but with Grey Matter and Meth Nazis to deal with, why bother with Lydia? Yeah, she’s paranoid and untrustworthy, and maybe he means to wipe out anyone who could conceivably testify against his family, but my bet is she simply comes sniffing around for the blue meth at the wrong moment and gets caught in the crossfire. I just don’t see him finessing anyone into drinking a doctored drink at this point, which is why I tend to think it is for himself. I’m just hoping Jesse gets the opportunity to take his revenge on anyone and everyone. “Yeah, bitches, you want some of this?”

My best guess is that Walt intends to light up the Nazis with the M60 and use the ricin on himself. He’ll have enough time before it takes effect to turn himself in, tell them everything important (particularly where Hank and Gomie are buried, I really think he’ll do that as the only thing he can do for his family at this point), and then expire on his own terms. The only way Lydia figures into his revenge plans is if she refuses to take no for an answer on killing Skyler.

I do think there’s a non-trivial chance of that happening though. If you’ll recall, Mike refused to humor Lydia when they started working together after Gus’s death. She insisted on doing the back-to-back conversation thing, and Mike refused to play along. She wanted all the people who could identify her dead, and Mike refused to play along. We’ve already seen that Todd is willing to do the asinine conversation thing, so it’s not out of the question that she talks him into killing Skyler too.

I also think there’s a non-trivial chance that Jesse kills Walt. It’s something I’ve been wanting to happen in the end going all the way back to Jane’s death. Of course, if he’s already taken the ricin, it could be that he talks Jesse into letting him go so that his immediate death isn’t on Jesse’s conscience. I’m amazed that there’s so many things that could possibly happen with only one episode left to go.

I think the m60 is for the nazis.

The ricin is for Lydia.

And before he dies he’ll put out a confession tape implicating gray matter.