Breaking Bad

Yeah, I think the obvious is correct this time: the m60 is for the nazis, the ricin is for Lydia.

I would really, really like it if Walt took out Grey Matter though. Fuck those smug assholes.

I feel like they took their foot off the gas a little bit with that last episode, and I’m concerned they spent too much valuable time with Walt screwing around in a cabin in New Hampshire. It seems there are lots of loose ends that need to be tied up and I’m not entirely confident that one episode is going to be enough time to do so in a satisfying manner.

He’d have to leave a barrel of cash in their garage to make that work . . .

I think the pacing has been excellent. BB has always been good at keeping a certain tempo, with quieter moments setting the stage for the bigger bangs. Walt needed a little time to realize his position and make one last desperation move before giving up, until he turned again for one last rodeo.

I wouldn’t expect for all loose ends to be tied up neatly, either.

I like the idea of Jesse rigging a meth lab explosion. Maybe Walt comes with the big gun, but before he fires a shot (or perhaps he provides a few and inadvertantly provides a distraction for Jesse), Jesse makes it all go BOOM.

I’m betting Jesse will gas them like Walt did to Krazy 8 and company in season 1. His attack is going to be some sweet scientific shit none of the Nazi’s see coming.

Science!

When the authorities got to Hank’s tossed house, I thought I saw the camera linger on a DVD in the mess on the floor. Could that be Walt’s fake confession fingering Hank, perhaps now in DEA hands? Marie would need Skyler to speak up to save her (then Walt could use his leverage–location of bodies, ID the crew as the killers–to provide immunity for his family when he turns himself in, right after taking the ricin).

Lydia could still be twitchy about Skyler, so maybe she dies in the lab blast or Meth Damon takes her out after she compliments Jesse for the quality cooking instead of Todd. The only reason they are still cooking is so Todd can impress Lydia. Maybe the rest of the crew gets tired of that and takes her out so they can go into the enjoying our barrels of money business instead of cooking more junk for her.

Remember Uncle Jack ripping off his mask? Todd telling him that stuff is dangerous to smell. Yep, it’s going to be a gas attack. Bitch. And then Todd (who always wears his mask) and Jesse will go man to man.

Wasn’t the lethality of ricin partially due to the difficulty in diagnosing it? Depending, again, on who has heard what confessions, it would make it a poor choice for Walt to use for suicide if as soon as he started getting ill someone knew that he’d threatened to use it on others in the past.

Obviously no guarantee, but I also think it would be funny if the ricin were the series Pine Barrens/anti-Chekhov’s Gun. Nothing actually happens with it and it just sits there unused and undiscovered (after the horrible deaths or imprisonments of everyone, of course).

While it would be fun to see Jesse blow up the Nazis, I’m not sure how realistic it would be. He has to know that if he fucks up in the slightest/doesn’t get them all, that they’re going to kill Brock. I do not know that he would risk that.

Now if they stay true to his character and have him do it anyway because he hasn’t thought things completely through, would be okay with that. But I’m not sure it is going to happen, unless they conveniently provide exactly the right circumstances (or they push him too far, where he realizes that the only way bad things won’t happen is if he tries something desperate).

I’m thinking Jesse dies in the blast, on purpose. That takes care of the Brock problem.

You really think the neo-Nazis aren’t the type of guys to go off and kill Brock just because Jesse is dead? Think No Country for Old Men, they will totally kill Brock if Jesse commits suicide.

Not if he takes them all out in the blast as well. I know, it’s a stretch.

Walt takes the nazis out and saves Jesse. During the gun battle, Jesse gets a hold of a piece and puts a bullet in Todd’s head. The dust settles and Walt expects a big thank-you from Jesse. Jesse turns the gun on Walt and says: “You let Jane die? How could you let her die?” Much like Walt Jr.'s response to his dad on the phone last episode (you killed Uncle Hank!), Jesse will never get over this revelation. Blam! the gun goes off. Game over.

But that’s the whole point I was making. If Jesse is thinking clearly, he would be doing it knowing the risk that if he doesn’t get them all, he’s running the risk of condemning Brock to death (particularly if, as was pointed out above by forgeforesaken, Jesse himself doesn’t die in the event, but as was also pointed out above, even if Jesse dies in the event).

Besides, if Jesse were really sure that Brock (and previously, Andrea) would be okay and not killed if Jesse were dead, Jesse could have just killed himself. I have to assume there are plenty of ways (perhaps not pleasant ways) to just kill yourself in a meth kitchen.

Now that I think about it, how would a person with no real hard science skills kill themselves in a meth kitchen? I’ve got to assume that just swallowing random chemicals might not do the job, or might lead to a pretty prolonged and/or painful death.

I’m sure after working with Walt so long, Jesse knows all the do’s and don’ts of meth cooking. I don’t think Jesse wants to kill himself as an end, but if it was a necessary means to taking out the Nazis, I think at this point he’d do it. It may be enough to take out Todd (and himself). The rest of the crew is not really invested in meth cooking anymore after getting Walt’s money. This is the Todd and Lydia show. If Jesse and Todd were dead, Uncle Jack would probably cap Lydia and then they’d all ride into the sunset with barrels of Walt’s cash.

Jesse already knew the risks of a failed escape, yet he tried anyway. He does not typically think things through completely. That’s Walt’s job.

It’s like a kid’s game of dodge ball with only one base and a bunch of kids scampering around the guy who is “it”, and right now it looks like Saul is the only one that got to the base and called out “Safe!”.

Which is the bleakest ending–Jesse locked in a cage, Walt dying alone in a remote cabin, or Saul working at a Cinnabon in Omaha?

Gotta go with Todd, being the scariest dude on TV in a long time, but still doomed to just being “that guy from Friday Night Lights!” forever.

I don’t really get why people think Walt would take the ricin himself. Cancer will kill him soon enough (he told Hank he had 6 months to go about 4-5 months prior to the flashfoward scenes in terms of on-show time) and yeah we don’t know he was telling Hank the truth (and 6 months is clearly just an estimate anyway), but there’s really no reason to doubt he was lying about the timeframe, and for the sake of simplicity let’s just assume the estimate was very accurate; for the purposes of the story I think we can assume Walt is 1-2 months away from dying of cancer no matter what happens during the obvious confrontation being built up currently. He’s already a dead man walking, taking the ricin himself doesn’t really move the story forward in any useful way.

I also think it is entirely possible Jesse will kill Walt after Walt rescues him, I posited that on a reddit post after Ozymandias episode:

I still stick by my prediction there except I may have been too generous in assuming Walt had finally gotten over his lethal pride as it seems his killing of the nazis and subsequent rescuing of Jesse (which I still think he will do) is ultimately another prideful act as opposed to a more pure act of just wanting to set something right before dying.