Breath of the Wild like Games?

Hi all,

My 9 year old loves breath of the wild - she is about to start her third playthrough. She asked me if there is anything else like it (open world RPG basically). Can anyone recomend anything on the Switch or WiiU that is kid friendly (no more intense than Breath of the Wild if you want a yard stick).

Thanks in advance.

It’s a different type of gameplay with smaller worlds to explore, but Super Mario Odyssey is more like Breath of the Wild than not. I highly recommend it.

Not as open, but just as awesome are the two Zelda games that were HD on Wii U. Twilight Princess and The Wind Waker. I would probably go with Wind Waker first. Sailing is liberating in the same way BotW is with a horse. Playing those is cool too because of all the references she may notice from BotW in those games and vice versa.

Kingdoms of Amalur might fit the bill, but it’s not available on any handhelds to my knowledge.

I think Dave’s pretty seriously overselling the similarities between Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, but I also can’t think of much that’s close, and Odyssey is a great game.

Perhaps Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles? No combat in that one, though - it’s mostly about exploration and crafting. I think a Switch port of the game just came out.

I hear you, but I have seen it accepted similarly because of the exploration it allows. And obviously, it is great.

Wind Waker is my top choice. It plays a lot more like Breath of the Wild than not. It even has a warping mechanic and small dungeons all over in a way similar to BotW. Plus, it has one of the all-time great endings in the series history IMO.

Thanks gents. I have odyssey will see if she wants to play that otherwise will give windwalker a spin.

I’ve played a few hours of amulr wouldn’t let her play that, she is super sensitive to zombies/undead stuff.

Maple Story 2 is supposed to be very open-worldly and kid-friendly, she might like that. Not on consoles though.

Decay of Logos looks promising. But it’s not out yet.

LEGO City Undercover (WiiU) is a great open-world Lego game, if you don’t mind the “Cops and Robbers” theme. There are not much direct RPG elements, but the character gains different costumes and abilities.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but, since you have a WiiU, you can try the Wii game PetZ: Dogz 2, which is a weirdly decent Zelda clone that has no business being as charming and good as it is.

It does sound crazy. And kind of awesome. I might look for that. ;)

What if I expand the platform selection to Xbox 360 and PS4?

I am sure she would love CAT QUEST! Is she familiar with puns? :)

Tell her its the purrrfect RPG. :D

Yeah Zelda is a pretty idiosyncratic piece. About the closest is probably Darksiders, but that ain’t thematically a fit

What about Twilight Princess HD? Looks like it’s a similar open world (or at least big world) Zelda game?

I mentioned it up above. It’s not as open as Breath of the Wild, but it’s got a fantastic setting and great gameplay. Wind Waker is actually closer to the BotW mold because it is a totally open ocean to explore. Both are excellent.

Has she tried Stardew Valley? Not Zelda-like but engrossing and age appropriate.

So I mentioned and showed her stardew and she watched me play Wind Walker and she didn’t like them - though this was before she played the breath of the wild. I asked her specifically what she likes and she said the being able to do what you want (open world) and riding/collecting horses. I’ll try Twilight Princess and report back. Need to crack out the old WiiU.

Twilight Princess is a real chore, especially in the beginning. Horses kind of rules out Wind Waker, but cmon man Toon Link is a boss and the boat talks.

The recent Shadow of the Colossus can be a tough sell because the controls and camera are, uh, unique and kind of frustrating to some people (who are jerks). But maybe younger people who aren’t so set in their ways would be ok with it. And it has one of the all time best horses. And it looks amazing. And the world may not be as big as BotW’s but it’s still big and a lot of fun to explore.

My 15th year old suggested that game tongue in cheek as all my kids didn’t like it. I don’t mind the game but have never finished it and tried to on every generation its been out on. I like the idea but never like the execution.