Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

I meant my line as a glib retort, not an argument, but while we’re here, is an election any more binding when proven a foreign power mucks things up? In my mind, momentum is the reason you don’t rerun these things, more than anything else.

0 Likes

There isn’t any mechanism for re-running a Presidential election. There is no federal authority who could call one. It’s 50 different elections run by 50 different states. In no case would all states agree to re-run it — because some of them like the result! — and the ones that did might end up with two competing slates of electors, both of whom claimed they were the genuine ones. I doubt even SCOTUS could order a new nationwide Presidential election, at least not politically, and they would almost certainly decline to do that.

Re-running a non-binding referendum is trivial. Parliament passes a law authorizing the referendum. That’s it.

0 Likes

Even a binding referendum can be rerun. My local school boards require passage of a referendum before they can issue bonds, and so a referendum was on the ballot every one or two years until it finally passed. And this is not unusual in the US.

0 Likes

Given no Parliament can bind its successor, it’s not clear what a ‘binding’ referendum would even be.

“Given we’re a parliamentary democracy, why even hold a referendum?” is a very good question, especially with one option being nebulous and ill defined.

0 Likes

Well, that’s kind of a separate question, but legislation for other referenda have specified what the legislative outcome of a yes vote would be, whereas the law setting up the EU referendum did not.

0 Likes

Yes, that’s about as ‘binding’ as anything can be for Parliament.

0 Likes

Ah the Hilary Clinton approach, call everyone who disagrees with you stupid or racist.

What could possibly go wrong?

0 Likes

But they are racists.

0 Likes

True, you run the risk of getting a majority of the vote.

0 Likes

Pity she lost in the vote that mattered.

Maybe alienating swathes of what should be her core voters by calling them names wasn’t such a great idea after all.

0 Likes

These people would never be her core voters.

0 Likes

You’re joking, right?

0 Likes

Aaaaaannnddd we’re off!

0 Likes

Does feel that way, doesn’t it?

0 Likes

What is this? Have I stumbled into some parallel universe where Clinton and Remain won in 2016?

Echo chambers can be such fun.

0 Likes

You got us man. You got us. Well done…done…done…

0 Likes

I believe the word you are looking for is swatches.

0 Likes

0 Likes

Haha ok, keep telling yourselves that half the population is indeed stupid or racist.

I understand it’s easier that way.

0 Likes

Not half. Around 40%. Given the state of education in this country, it’s to be expected, really.

0 Likes