Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

I am on the opposite side to the DUP in most things but I must say I respect the fact they have been consistent during this entire process. They are not going to vote for May’s deal the third time of asking which means it cant pass unless there are many more defections to May’s deal.

GULP

The division bell is going. That means John Bercow, the speaker, will announce the results of the indicative votes in about two minutes.

My problem with the DUP is the extent to which they are detached from reality. There is no deal absent some kind of backstop. It’s fine to object to that deal, but there is no other deal. If you’re going to Brexit and maintain the GFA, you’re going to have some mechanism to keep an open border, and that’s the backstop.

The referendum was offered by Cameron as a means to stop the Tory party infighting, and here we are on the brink of something that will cripple the country for generations and it will ultimately boil down to Tory infighting. Wilful negligence by the powers that be.

Its all going badly for remain so far.

Confirmatory vote voted down.

All indicative votes have been voted down. Including the two pro Brexit ones.

What does this mean? No idea.

They voted against everything. It’s what they have been doing all along.

Edit: Customs Union came closest, losing by only 8 votes.

Ken Clarke’s - Customs union and M - Dame Margaret Beckett’s - Confirmatory public vote seem like they were by far the closest. Why aren’t they now being followed up on? I thought that was the point?

Bercow explains peoples vote and other items just voted down can be voted on again because it was a separate process than normal business.

Does anyone know if the Customs Union plan obviates the need for a backstop? I think ‘no’, but I don’t really know what that proposal entails.

Anna Soubry patronizing the Conservatives here , amusing to watch.

M - Dame Margaret Beckett’s - Confirmatory public vote

Drawn up by Labour MPs Peter Kyle and Phil Wilson and tabled by former foreign secretary Dame Margaret Beckett with the backing of scores of MPs across the House, this motion would require a public vote to confirm any Brexit deal passed by parliament before its ratification.

For: 268

Against: 295

So does this mean no to a second referendum?

It means there are still more clowns in the car.

For today.

Bercow just noted debate will go on, on Monday on these issues, the same or otherwise.

edit: Bercow confirms the process was that the indicative votes might all lose but that ranking and differences would be tested for the next step of the debate.

edit: Bercow now explaining in similar patronizing terms to some Brexit Conservative MP’s who seemingly dont understand the process.

Just wait till they replace Bercow with a partisan and parliament stops working entirely. It’s the logical next step.

Parliament stopped working in 2017

We are now getting cross party support for local post offices. Adorbs!

It’s truly descended into farce :(

This has not aged well.

This has gone beyond a simple train wreck into a train crashing with itself, forever, like a metal ouroboros.

I mean, what now? Vote 3 on May’s deal, another no and then what?