Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

A great thread:

oooh…just realised I don’t know what the policy is on this board on swearing…

well never mind I’ll risk it….

Ok. I’ve refreshed myself of the guidelines.

I find it impossible to have any sympathy for the harridan. Her ‘toxic environment’ at the Home Office expelled Britons, which we invited here, and at least 11 of which then died in a country which was no longer their own.

She could run from the chamber, leap off the terrace and drown herself in the Thames as far as I am concerned.

Lots of rumours are swirling, suggesting enough letters have arrived to trigger a Tory party vote of no confidence in Theresa May as leader.

If that’s the case, MPs will have to secure a majority before it would become a leadership election.

It seems unlikely there is a majority for this. If May wins, she will be safe (for internal no confidence challenges, anyway) for a year.

I dunno, they seem to be some way short (21 confirmed letters last I saw), and several key Brexiter ministers have said they’re not resigning. She might at least tough it out till the “meaningful” vote.

Baker, who is a consistent bullshitter especially when it comes to the strength of parliamentary support for ERG ideas, still only says they are “very close” and won’t get to 48 until next week. Hard to see what changes someone’s mind between now and then.

The gossip that I’m hearing is that they’re short of the required 48 to force a no confidence vote. Which to be honest is a positive thing in my opinion. To get rid of May at this stage in the negotiations is irresponsible. Unfortunately I also don’t think she’ll have enough votes to be able to force her deal through parliament so the most likely outcome is May stays but the UK crashes out with no deal.

I think we’ll know Monday. Baker is probably overcounting, but plenty of MPs would prefer a quiet letter than a published one.

Really it’s immaterial. May would win a vote, and I think comfortably so.

The budget is on Tuesday. Votes there will be interesting, but I think there is little threat of it failing to pass. Then mid-December for the withdrawal agreement. Until then, it seems we’re back in a stable political equilibrium.

Filing the article 50 letter without any idea what you wanted out of the negotiations, or whether your cabinet and parliament would support any deal that was possible to get, was irresponsible. Wasting most of your negotiating time (and goodwill) arguing over stuff that had already been agreed to or was not negotiable, was irresponsible. Why stop now? And frankly deposing May is the only chance we have of stopping this shitshow, which is a good reason for the ERG not to do it, of course.

Perfectly reasonable. I certainly am not going to defend May from criticism. She (among many others) has done more than enough to deserve it.

That goes for @Ginger_Yellow as well. Fair play. I offer no rebuttal.

As it should be. You really cant empower and enable an ethno-nationalist movement whose are striving to push people into poverty and death. There hasn’t been a single rational, data driven argument that post-Brexit Britain will increase any metric in a positive way and quite frankly, at this point, its like giving the Flat Earthers an equal share of an argument on geography.

I have to admit Theresa May’s deal is growing on me. I hate the actual content of the deal, but both Brexiteer and FPBE twitter are campaigning vociferously against it, and anything that those two groups both despise has much to recommend it :).

I gotta admit the Brexiteer’s have the cooler tag out of the two.

It turns out a bad deal is better than no deal, after all.

Q: How many Brexiteers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: One to promise a brighter future and the rest to screw it up.

This basically sums up the craven politics of the whole thing:

These resignations confirm a fundamental structural problem with the whole leave prospectus: it was a fantasy, and as such incompatible with the mundane fulfilment of ministerial responsibility. Raab has come to the same conclusion that David Davisand Boris Johnson reached earlier in the year: it is easier to be on the team that accuses the prime minister of failing to deliver majestic herds of unicorns than it is to be stuck with a portfolio that requires expertise in unicorn-breeding.

Then there is this.

“Leave-voting MP Nadine Dorries slams May’s Brexit deal because UK won’t have seats in European parliament”

It is hard to fathom just how stupid these ignorant morons are. I mean, just… arrggg

I honestly thought that was an onion head line.

Dorries has been demonstrating how ignorant she is since long before Brexit was a thing.

I’ve read she meant in relation to having to follow EU law and regulations and not have MEP’s, which is not quite as bad…

How is it not as bad? It’s always been one of those idiotic pipedream fantasies of being able to leave the EU but keeping all the benefits.