Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

I think you have a supermajority requirement among votes cast, and a lengthy / practical voting period so that everyone has an opportunity to vote, and a vote turnout effort, and then you don’t really worry about the turnout. People who don’t bother to vote on a consequential matter given plenty of opportunity don’t care about that matter.

This is…bad.

How difficult would it be for Ireland to replace it’s food imports from the UK in the case of a very bad no good Brexit?

Dunno, but I imagine the other EU countries — and their agribusinesses — would have strong motivation to step in.

I’d guess the biggest issue isn’t replacing the UK as a provider, but rather managing to get the food from the continent without going through the UK.

Sure, there might be stuff that’s irreplaceable, that’s UK made only, but Ireland doesn’t need to buy from the UK to feed itself, but it’s certainly the closest place to buy from.

It would be bad in the short term, but the EU already set in motion plans to reroute trade to Ireland

Why is May pushing this vote? She doesn’t have to do this. What has she to gain?

It seems to me like an 'all-in- sort of move that ends in her resignation if she fails. Maybe?

I presume because she thinks it will pass at the second attempt, once people are staring down the barrel of no deal. The only way she doesn’t have to resign or get forced out by March is if her deal passes, so it’s not like she has anything to lose.

This is beautiful (thread).

Reports coming in that No. 10 is pulling the vote on Tuesday.

Apparently there is now a procedural row about whether or not this can even be done without a separate vote.

amen !

Meanwhile apparently Robbins has been dispatched to Brussels to try to get a legally binding commitment that the backstop won’t be used. The mind boggles.

Yeah, I’m trying to keep track but my god it’s just a confusing mess.

I am happy with the latest surrender from May. Any doubt on May & her deal helps increase the chance of no Brexit.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind delaying the vote. Is it an attempt to get more concessions from the EU?
They’ve stated publicly that won’t happen. Is this a Hail Mary attempt to just delay the inevitable failure to pass Mays deal?

Its an attempt to prevent the inevitable no confidence vote (ie: the government is over)

Survival. As I questioned above, what does she have to gain by a vote?