Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

It’s basically don’t lose until you have to lose. She’s going to lose this vote, so better not to have it now. It’s like the guy who was sentenced to death by the tyrant, but got clemency if he would teach the tyrant’s horse to sing. He took the chance because maybe the tyrant would die, or maybe the horse would die, or maybe the horse would sing. Anything is better than losing the vote now.

The first UK government ever to be held in contempt of Parliament now this dressing down by the Speaker of the house over trying to delay the vote.

Honestly I have never seen such a thing.

Also lol :) Well played to both ladies.

In the Commons a moment ago Labour’s Rupa Huq described the decision to call off the vote as an act of “premature parliamentary ejaculation”. In response, Theresa May said that, if Huq were to look carefully, she would see that May is not capable of premature ejaculation.

Seems like a delay only increases the chances for a hard-Brexit, since there is less time for a non-Brexit alternative to coalesce before the deadline.

It doesn’t take any time at all to revoke Article 50. Just a vote in Parliament, right?

Possibly, although that “look it could be no deal” leverage to pass her deal exists more in May’s mind than reality.

Governments and Primeministers unwind very quickly. My guess is the government will lose a no confidence vote before Christmas then we will be off to the races for a general election. Then all bets are off.

So while Brexit is not dead yet, this has been a very good week as its life support system gets unplugged.

Also more pressure on Corbyn . He is an ambitious man, so if he thinks his chance of becoming Priminister goes up by changing his mind and going full Remain he will do that.

We’re going to get to April 1 with the UK still discussing with itself, it’s going to be Brexit by ooops…

Might as well finish how we started.

It’s like WW I repeating itself as farce.

I think I understand Brexit now - it’s a submarine made out of cheese.

What even is that?

The mace is the symbol of the Crown in parliament I think. About once a decade someone grabs it to let people know how affronted they are.

The reality of what the mace is and its surrounding rituals are a lot less plausible than “its a magic weapon there to defeat monsters”.

100% accurate.

The Tories will be desperate not to do a general election. There are two weeks to form a new government before it needs to call an election. If they are terrified enough the Tory MPs, will get down to one (Like they did with Theresa) which means they don’t need to go to their constituency parties. They can probably do that in 48 hours.

New Tory leader promises to not treat Northern Ireland differently and gets the DUP onside again (maybe an extra couple of £bn as well).

Boom new Tory government with no need to go for a general election.

At that point, it looks like we get 327 vs 315 (if we assume that the independents and lexiteers vote with their original parties.

What would be really interesting though would be if Sinn Fein deigned it important enough to sit but even then it only takes it to 322.

…facing the same unsolvable problem.

Absolutely but I wanted to point out that the assumption around a new general election both on here and by Magic Grandpa (aka Jeremy Corbyn.) are not necessarily quite as certain as they like to potray,

The fun comes from who takes over.

Sadly, in United Kingdom II: Brexit Royale the “Mace” and “Axe” skills have been rolled together into a single “Blunt Weapon” skill.

Now that’s something an American can understand!