Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

Awesome :)

Did the opposition score yet another uncontested motion critical of the government today?

Is this just the way of things now? Endless mockery of the government but never any movement?

More swirling rumours that enough letters have been submitted to trigger a leadership challenge - but we have been here before.

Whoa - this is good. Andy Serkis as Theresa May Gollum

Looks like May will win the Tory no-confidence vote with no difficulty at all. Not that that theoretically has much to do with the real Brexit vote, but it could easily be taken that way by credulous media people which might give her a little bit of a boost. If she were defeated she would remain PM in any event until she nominates someone who can get a majority vote from her party.

It might not be so clear cut. Someone remarked that nobody wants to order another bottle, but everyone is up for a drink when the cork’s out.

But yes, I agree with you. It will be a comfortable victory. No movement, just more chaos.

The numbers I’ve seen don’t make sense. I saw something that suggests that there was claiming 33 votes against her. If that’s the case I’m wondering who the 15 writers of the letters are going to vote for.

She’s the least offensive candidate to the widest possible base so she may well survive.

The question then remains about what happens if she can’t her (truly awful) deal through the commons.

Most likely just cowards, but I wouldn’t put it beyond May loyalists to submit letters, knowing she would win the ultimate vote, hence taking it off the table for when she might be more vulnerable.

Do we really think they are that good at politics?

No, hence the start of my sentence.

The Irish Border threads really are very good.

I really don’t understand May’s strategy here. At best, she will get non-committal letters that won’t change the deal.

There is no strategy. The only thing there is, is a gaggle of improv performers who call themselves ‘politicians’. The best these people can do is tweak knobs and turn dials, but for anything that requires actual leadership and competence they are completely useless. To a great many of them this entire crisis is still mainly about how they can use it to get ahead politically rather than avoiding plunging the entire nation into disaster.

So what are everyones predictions now?

May fails to get enough votes to pass her deal.
Parliament experiences continued paralysis.
UK crashes out of the EU by default in March?

The UK can’t get what it wants from a Brexit withdrawal agreement. The EU’s red lines are well known and the EU has the stronger bargaining position. This has of course always been true. Common sense says they ought to rescind the Article 50 declaration. There will be more votes for that option the closer we get to blind Brexit, but will there be a leader ready to propose it?

If Rupert Murdoch and Russian money hadn’t been a part of Britain, would they be in a much better and different place than they are now?

Murdoch, certainly. The Sun and in its day the NotW were always extremely anti-EU. The Times less so (and in its leaders backed Remain, while the Sunday Times backed Leave), but it hasn’t had much sway for decades. Now even without the Murdoch press you’d have had the Mail and the Telegraph pushing a hard Leave line, but it only takes a handful of votes to change the outcome.

This is what Brexit is like for us.

giphy