Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

Maybe. But Labour will be under immense pressure to vote for May’s deal to prevent the UK crashing out in chaos.

The DUP will know this, as will Labour leadership. So maybe at some point the DUP agree to bring down the government before Labour starts losing its nerve.

That might not help matters.

Time will tell.

This is like that bad deal Germany got after WWI. Or something.

Nah it’s not lol.

I foresee at some point the UK is going to ask the EU for reparations. It all makes sense.

I wonder if DUP will regard hard Brexit as better than May’s Brexit. Hard Brexit would require some sort of border in Iteland, which would take the backstop offf the table.

May’s gambit seems to have gone down even worse than expected.

I agree with that, I think they would prefer it. There’s a vision of Brexit wherein free movement between Ireland and NI is tossed, and damn the consequences, because UK sovereignty is more important than actual people’s lives. The scary thing is it seems to be the prevailing vision.

Now this is some entertaining opinion writing. When you reference Cthulhu, Aslan, and Stuart Pearce’s penalty shot in the 96 Euro tournament, that’s some quality work.

Anything but the deal really would be more suitable for them.

They just don’t want to be different from the rest of the UK. If it’s hard Brexit it would be a hard border. Hard Brexit may also return us to the 50s so they would probably love that.

No difference is also true of Norway + (Side question - why do all these morons think they can negotiate a +) as there would be no hard border.

Of course, if we remain in the EU it’s also a non-question.

This has not gone well for May. Embarrassing, even. The draft text is now actually a bit worse for her.

Great, the EU need to punish us for our mistakes and grab every single trade advantage and leverage they can. The rest of the world too. The only way these Brexiter vermin will learn is through hardship, pain and suffering.

Yeah, she didn’t get that either.

The ‘nebulous’ comment appears to be the source of this footage:

An evergreen summary of events.

I read that EU members at the meeting repeatedly asked May to articulate her vision of Brexit, and that her only response was ‘Brexit means Brexit.’

This is the heart of the problem: It’s simply not possible to articulate any positive end state for the UK which could possibly meet with the approval both of the EU and the UK. Thus there is no clear vision for a good post-Brexit UK to point to that has any possibility of becoming real. Either the UK will be like Norway, which betrays the Brexit voters; or it will be like less than Norway and will have weakened its own union because of the backstop, which betrays the Brexit voters and is anathema to the Tories; or it will be largely isolated economically and facing the real possibility of the failure of the GFA, which no one else wants.

None of these is attractive, so none can be the goal, but nothing else is really possible, if indeed there is a Brexit.

Whenever I think on how badly my own government is careening off the rails, I can look across the pond to the old mother country and think “Well, it could be worse”.

I really feel for all you guys caught up in this mess. I hope it somehow works out without an economic catastrophe.

Despite sometimes being worried about it, on balance I’m still reasonably sure ‘chaotic no deal’ is off the table. I don’t believe the PM, the government, or Parliament would allow it. Nor would the EU encourage it.

Exactly when things come to a head to stop that happening, I don’t know (hence my occasional worries).

Here’s the amazing thing - Norway’s local populist moron (Sylvi Listhaug) just went out to suggest Norway should negotiate a Norway+ agreement without freedom of movement. Despite the EU spending the past couple of years making the red lines extremely clear. Despite Norway being one of the countries in Europe that are most dependent on foreign workers.

It’s a cheap political ploy - obviously - but it’s so disheartening how divorced from reality these kind of politics are - and people still lap it up.

[quote=“playingwithknives, post:2412, topic:78214”]
The only way these Brexiter vermin will learn is through hardship, pain and suffering.
[/quote]’
They aren’t vermin. I’m as Remain as anybody but that term is totally out of line.

The architects of Brexit (Johnson, Gove, Banks, Farage, Rees-Mogg - all of which I’ll accept are c*unts) won’t suffer. They will have off shore funds, short the £, etc and come out of it richer & with a foreign passport.

The rest of us will suffer - no matter you whether you voted remain or leave. As a member of the metropolitan liberal elite I’ll probably suffer less than most.

Many are victims -The people they’ve managed to trick, the people that have had anti EU propaganda spoon fed to them over the last 40 years, the bloody foreigners lot that don’t have any living near them will suffer much more but most of them don’t deserve it.

The real racists can eff right off though.

How about Britain make some new laws so those you mention have to suffer just as badly. 2 sets of rules for the classes is very bad. I mean, someone has to have some balls there in government right?