Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

I’m not assuming that they’re meaningless. I’m saying that they are plainly empty of content. What is it that the EU has become that the speaker doesn’t like? What does the speaker mean in saying he doesn’t identify with Europeans? Do you know the answers to those questions, because without them, you can’t judge whether those reasons are ‘valid’.

When did I say anyone wasn’t allowed to vote for Brexit?

Yep, unsolidarity and economic protectionism (I never voted for this Europe but I was ok with it until it doesn’t benefit me enough), and cultural/ethnonationalism (I feel British, not European is a by the book definition of a cultural/ethnonationalistic stance).

Nationalism of all kinds needs to die a slow and painful dead, special the cultural and ethnically varieties (which are basically the same under a different guise, specially in Europe), and be substituted again by civic patriotism.

You’re wasting your time here. His posts are littered with alt right/ethno-nationalist talking points and syntax. Ie “just a different opinion” is pure alt right and echoes anything PJW or Sargon use to defend their ethno-nationalism, as is the erasure and denial of racism and the wilful blindness to any of our data and evidence. It’s alot easier to no-platform the Brexiters and Trumpstaffel. It’s worked in the Trump threads.

I find it ironic that you display the same type of fanaticism and hatred that I associate with the far right.
I’m not even sure what the term is to describe this type of politics. Loony left?

He does attack the hard left equally viciously.

I’m going to stick to the politics, rather than engage in the ongoing forum party game of ‘no, you’re a racist!’. I hope that’s okay!

One effect of these no-confidence motions - especially from the opposition - is that it appears to be rallying Tory MPs and even the DUP.

Maybe May’s deal will pass after all? The clock will have done a lot more ticking by late January.

@Mark_Weston, would you mind providing sources to back up your stance on social psychology? I am always curious about the limitations of the different fields of psychology.

It’s called “being a brown man in Brexit Britain”

It’s called “raising a minority family along side millions of racists and millions of Brits who stand in solidarity with them and are fine with racism”

It’s called “you made a choice to stand with the racists, or stand with me”

You made your choice. Don’t whine when I call you out for what you are.

Because replicability problems are unique to soft sciences… /s

https://www.nature.com/articles/483531a

Read the article I quoted regading Brexit and point faults in its methodology (I lack the training). I’m open to be proven wrong in fields I’m not an expert on, but the argument should be something else than “I just don’t trust psychology”.

What sucks is that I’m pretty sure Brexit will trigger a recession in the EU, maybe not General, but big enough

I think we might avoid one if the UK passes the deal, but if it’s a hard Brexit, yeah, it will happen.

I appreciate the /s, but it’s a very important point that probably deserves more than a throwaway remark: there is a huge replication crisis in many fields of science - particularly those relying on statistics to shore up small sample sizes and no clear underlying theoretical guidance. Social sciences, economics are biology are all in trouble, to the point some journals have stopped allowing some of the most abusable statistical procedures. I don’t think that solves the problem - the issues are perverse incentives coupled with some easily (dare-I-say deliberately) confusing statistical methods, and there are plenty of the latter even if you can specific cases.

Anyway, back to the previous discussion.

Agree, any deal that includes a lengthy transition period of business as usual will defer the worst effects, and of course if the UK backs into a Norway deal then it ought to be more or less business as usual. But a hard no deal Brexit will be bad for the EU, though much much worse for the UK of course. No one should want that.

I’m just looking forward to another two years of ‘BREXIT! NOTHING BUT BREXIT!’ in the news. We’re still in the easy bit: negotiating our future relationship is going to be even more of a nightmare. And it’s hardly like we’ll be prepared to leave the comforts of the SM/CU by the end of the transition period.

Disagree. Looking at the political declaration, what’s on offer isn’t much more than what’s in the withdrawal agreement, beyond some customs arrangement to replace the backstop (which is of course still only a possibility, not a commitment). So it’s just going to be more of the same as far as the Irish border is concerned, and then fiddling around the margins for everything else. On services, especially financial, the political declaration is really very unambitious. It’s barely Canada, let alone Canada plus plus plus.

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the UK winds up in martial law. No doubt populist yellow-jacket type protests will begin as soon as no-deal Brexit actually happens, if not before. This despite the fact all those people would have voted to leave. 3,500 troops are already being mobilized, but that would be a mere gesture.

The tweet from Faisal Islam above was about a yellow jacket Brexiter protest. They were shouting “not British” and “rapist” at him when he was reporting live from the green outside Westminster on Sky News

Edit: just remember, according to our resident Brexiters shouting “not British” and “rapist” at brown Englishmen is “just a different opinion” and calling these racist scum nasty names makes me a Nazi too!

Everything is gearing up for no deal armageddon.

Not all MPs are prepared to fuck us for generations.

Just one of the problems, just one, is medicine supplies.

People are going to die.

“I’ve become the largest buyer of fridges in the world” is probably one of the scariest quotes I’ve seen in a while, given the context. ffs.

That tweet is kind of posturing, because I think the government would never announce that no-deal Brexit was its policy. It might say it’s going to happen because of the mean EU, but it would not embrace that outcome as desirable.