Brexit, aka, the UK Shoots Itself

You guys are gonna get scurvy again, yo.

Hypothetically speaking, there is enough farmland and technology and technical know how to feed ourselves with just our farmland.

Ofcourse in reality the willpower isn’t there.

I do think it’s a bit of a stretch to imagine that suddenly, come March 29th, there’ll be no tomatoes on the supermarket shelves.

Such melodrama does the remainer argument no good.

And Brexiteers will easily be able to say it’s a remoaner argument, and dismiss it as a lack of backbone and an easy sacrifice to make in return for “soereignty” and “control.”

Well, senior Brexiters shouldn’t be warning people about it going to happen?

We’ll still have food, says a senior Leaver: “We won’t be able to get certain foods like bananas or tomatoes but it’s not like we won’t be able to eat.

Also, no medicine. If we dont have enough tomatoes to stock our supermarkets, we wont be normal supplies of medicines. People are going to die to appease ethno-nationalist racist scum who pretend that them wanting their family and friends dying for “sovereignty” is actually the truth.

Do you not remember the great vegetable panic of 2017?

Here’s what Cups Of Tea and Blighty Spirit won’t overcome.

11 out of 12 critical IT systems at the border that the Border Delivery Group has assessed as being at risk of not delivering on time and to acceptable quality (rated amber or above) by 29 March 2019.

That there is a high delivery risk attached to government departments’ border programmes for ‘day one of no deal’ due to their scale, complexity and urgency; this risk is magnified by the degree of interdependence between the programmes.

That infrastructure identified by government departments cannot be built before March 2019.

That the additional resources required to operate the border may not be ready by March 2019.

That businesses do not have enough time to make the changes that will be needed if the UK leaves the EU without a ‘deal’ and

That the most complex issues relating to the border in the event of the UK leaving the EU without a ‘deal’ remain to be resolved.

and the table at the end of this document has similar levels of readiness for aspects outside of the border.

All in the red. No chance of anything to be delivered.

It’s going to be a catastrophe, and ultimately foreign looking and sounding people will get the blame for all of it, because no way are these monstrous c***s are going to admit this was entirely their fault.

No I do not!

Burn baby burn!

The darkest, most sadistic schadenfreude part of me looks forward to mocking Brexiteers if things go south.*

The better part of me also looks forward to it, but will lead to me holding my tongue.

I’ll be visiting England on a monthly basis this year, looking forward to it.

• purely selfishly, as I’ve spent the last 2.5 years making my own preparations for shit hitting the fan.

I predicted the Brexit clowns didn’t have a clue do took steps accordingly.

Admittedly, one didn’t need a crystal ball for that prediction!!!

The great irony of all of this is that it’ll be the more vulnerable people in the more vulnerable areas that suffer the most, precisely the areas and people that voted Brexit.

I watched a documentary late the other night (can’t remember which) and it talked about how Russia targeted non-voters with deception and lies to get them to the polls to support brexit.

The majority did not want Brexit. They were tricked and manipulated by an evil foreign power with help on the inside by those who have “outs” from the mayhem that will befall Great Britain. That in itself should invalidate Brexit.

Except it won’t invalidate anything and will be dismissed as remoaning.

It’s a handy rebuttal to any criticism.

Brexiters: A tale in two tweets

Gee, it’s pretty amazing how Brexiters sound just like Trumpers.

What’s a BAME?

Black Asian Minority Ethnic

A list crowdsourced by /r/ukpolitics of reasons why people voted Brexit.

1.“To reduce the length of the political food chain and bring democracy back within clearly defined borders of control.” (James Jackson, Medium)

1. “Because of all the EU laws that we have no say in.” “Name one.” “There’s loads. Too many to list.” “Name one.” “…” (Caller to LBC radio station)

2. “As a protest vote.”

3. “Because I want it to be a close result.”

4. “It [Sunderland] already is [a giant jobcentre]. That’s why I voted Leave, to put everyone else in the shit like us.” (Twitter)

5. “To stick it to the toffs.”

6. “To give Cameron a bloody nose.” (Express website)

7. “To give Cameron a better negotiating position.”

8. “Because the EU closed the coalmines.”

9. “Because I thought we had been in long enough.”

10. “Because I had the hump.”

11. “Because now our lads will get out of prison, ‘cos there will be jobs for them.”

12. “The main reason I voted out was because the EU parliament aren’t elected representatives. The second is, they pass laws that affect us, but we aren’t given a say. Third, we need to sort our own house out” (Joanne, Facebook, giving exactly the same — factually wrong — reason in three different ways)

13. “Because I felt uncomfortable when a group of brown people got on the bus the other day.” (Family member)

14. “Because the EU made them change Marathons to Snickers.” [That decision was taken by Mars, not the EU.]

15. “Because they banned our bendy bananas.” (Express website) [The EU introduced a law stipulating that bananas should be given different classifications depending on their curvature. No fruit was ever banned, just classified differently.]

16. “Because fishermen now won’t have to throw fish back in the water and Muslim women will no longer be told by their husbands not to wear make-up.” (Caller to LBC) [The exact effect of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU will have on fishing waters and quotas must wait until nenotiations are complete, but we will still need agreements with out neighbours, and limits to prevent overfishing, which our neighbours will probably wish to remain broadly the same.]

17. “Because I’ve lived here all my life and when I was growing up, that street over there was filled with shops.” (TV documentary)

18. “To stop the Muslims immigrating here.” [Migration is unrestricted within the EU. But individual nations are responsible for setting their own limits on immigration from non-EU countries, such as those where the majority of citizens are Muslims. Leaving the EU will have no direct effect on the number of Muslims coming to the UK.]

19. “Because I want our old lightbulbs back!” [The EU has placed restrictions on the sale of old-style incandescent light bulbs in a bid to reduce energy wastage and slow global warming.]

20. “Because vaccines should not be mandatory.” [The EU has never passed any law making vaccination mandatory, even though vaccination is widely regarded as being a pretty good idea. Some European countries have done so of their own volition.]

21. “Because the Queen said.” (Pro-Brexit Facebook group)

22. “Because we should not be signing up to TTIP.” [TTIP is a trade deal between EU and America, which the EU has just put on hold. After the UK leaves the EU, most commentators believe it will sign up to a similar deal with the US, probably with fewer checks and balances.]

23. “Because we are like Germany, and Germany isn’t in the EU.” [Germany was a founding member of the EU.]

24. “Because the country is full.”

25. “To annoy my wife.”

26. “It will be an adventure!”

27. “Because the value of the euro is going to go down.” [Even if it were true, this would not have a marked effect on the UK’s economy. Since the vote, sterling is down 18% against the dollar and 15% against the euro.]

28. “So that I can get cheap photovoltaic panels from China.”

29. “Because otherwise, 7 million Turks will come over here.” (Caller to LBC radio station) [Turkey would never have been able to join the EU so long as Britain used its veto.]

30. “Because I am fed up with being ruled by unelected bureaucrats.” [The EU parliament is directly elected in regular European elections. The European commission —essentially the union’s civil service — recruits its own members.]

31. “Because I didn’t want my sons to have to join a European army.” [The EU would never have formed an army so long as Britain exercised its veto. Even if it did, conscription would be a political and practical impossibility.]

32. “Because there’s too many Pakistan [sic] people in Glasgow.” [I repeat: EU membership has no bearing on immigration from outside the EU.]

33. “Because it takes more than 5 litres of water to flush my shit away.”

34. “Because EU taxes are making our petrol more expensive than everywhere else in Europe.” [No, those would be taxes imposed by the UK’s government. The EU plays no part in setting national tax rates.]

35. “To send them women in the headscarves back home. One of them stole my mother’s purse.”

36. “Because I don’t like what the EU is doing to Africa.”

37. “Because I’m scared of black people. They’re so physical.” (Mother-in-law of member of Facebook group) [The mechanism by which leaving the EU will rid the UK of black people is unclear.]

38. “I don’t want to send money to Greece. I don’t care about Greece.”

39. “Because the EU does nothing for us.” [Estimates of the value of EU membership to the UK vary from £31bn to £92bn per year.]

40. “Because the EU has devoted 26,911 words to the regulation of cabbages.” [Seems quite a minor thing to sacrifice 10% of your pay packet for, but in any case, it’s bollocks. There are at present zero words in EU legislation specifically governing the production or sale of cabbages.]

41. “Because our prisons are full of Polish rapists.” [As of March 2016, there were 965 Polish nationals in British prisons. That’s out of a total Polish population of just over 800,000 — so 0.12% of all Poles here are convicted criminals. The total number of prisoners is around 95,000; about 0.14% of the population as a whole. I can’t find any figures broken down into both ethnicity and crime.]

42. “Because the roads in Oxfordshire are full of potholes.” [Technically, such matters fall within the local council’s purview.]

43. “Because the EU is anti-semitic.”

44. “So that we can go back to the way Britain was in the 50s.”

45. “Because they sold off the water, gas and electricity.” [Once again, that would be the work of the UK government, not the EU.]

46. “Because I couldn’t decide, and my boyfriend voted Remain.”

47. “Because schools are no longer allowed to hold nativity plays in case they offend Muslims.” [Utter crap.]

48. “Because the EU spent £13m on art last year."

49. “Because they never vote for us in Eurovision.”

50. “Because if we stop all the immigrants using the NHS, it will work properly again.”

51. “So we don’t have to queue at the doctor’s.” [There is no clear consensus on the impact of immigration on the health service. Undoubtedly, more people in a country means more people to treat. But it is widely agreed that migrants to the UK are on average younger and healthier than the local population, that inward migration is good for the economy, which gives us more money to spend on the NHS, and that without migrant workers — 24% of doctors and 12% of nurses were not born in the UK — the health service would collapse. Besides, the ageing resident population is by far the biggest strain on health services.]

52. “Because I want a more powerful hoover.” (via Facebook group)

53. “Because the EU is going to ban toasters, and I love toast.” (BBC interviewee) [The EU has never threatened to ban toasters. It is, however, considering a limit on the amount of energy that household appliances can use, in a bid to reduce the effect on the environment.]

54. “So we can have our electrical sockets low down by the skirting rather than have to put them little higher up the wall.”

55. “Because they are building houses for Filipinos and it’s blocking the view from my kitchen window.”

56. “Because I don’t understand politics. This is what my friends suggested.”

57. “Because there’s too much traffic in Sittingbourne.”

58. ”Because they tell me I need scaffolding to clean my guttering.” [Really not sure where this information came from.]

59. “Because I fancied a change.” (Caller to Radio 4 programme)

60. “My uncle voted Leave because his sister told him to.”

61. “Because the European Parliament building is the same shape as the Tower of Babel, which is anti-Christ.” (Facebook group’s family member)

62. “So all the fucking Chinks will leave.”

63. “Because the ensuing recession is going to bring house prices down, and I can’t afford to buy a house.”

64. “Because I want to buy sweets in ounces, not grammes.” [The UK adopted the metric system before entering the then European Economic Community. In any case, there’s nothing stopping shops selling things in imperial measures as well as metric.]

65. “Because they don’t pay for NHS prescriptions in Wales and Scotland, and that’s not fair.” (Manchester resident, in TV interview) [Again, nothing to do with the EU.]

66. “So that I don’t have to pay the bedroom tax.” [The bedroom tax was imposed not by the EU, but by … oh, can’t you guess by now?]

67. “Because I’m fed up of the French burning our lamb.” (Frank, Twitter)

68. “Because I want to use my teabag twice and the EU won’t let me.” (Aunt of friend of commenter) [This was another falsehood peddled by Boris Johnson.]

Obviously not to be taken too seriously, I think the big take is The Idiocracy Is Now as well as the racism. if you put important decisions about incredibly complex things to ill-informed idiots who will chose on a whim, you get what you deserve.

#63 was the only intelligent person in the bunch.

53. “Because the EU is going to ban toasters, and I love toast.” (BBC interviewee) [The EU has never threatened to ban toasters. It is, however, considering a limit on the amount of energy that household appliances can use, in a bid to reduce the effect on the environment.]

To be fair 53, illustrates the level of Pro Brexit propaganda out there. Here are a couple of stories about Toast they were likely thinking of.

The latter (express) you should glance at the linked articles from recently if you can stand it. Its eye opening to see just how extreme the still widely read right wing press is in the UK.

This year the EU did indeed put in legislation to help keep people alive. Why you would want to get cancer is somewhat beyond me.

This kind of crap is why my sister is a firm leave supporter. She doesn’t even read the press on a regular basis and yet she’ll happily quote examples of EU “interference” in the UK’s freedoms. The classic “EU wants to ban bendy bananas” has been doing the rounds for years, this stuff seems to permeate itself into UK culture, especially when it’s framed as an attack on some kind of UK institution. The reality of course is typically legislation to improve health, improve efficiency, and other common sense outcomes, but there’s always that same segment of the UK press that will spin it negatively. It’s a disease, and reading that list reminds me of one reason I left the place over two decades ago.

The most expensive petrol I’ve ever seen was on Holland.

I thought that 38 was particularly interesting in that in a few months, UK is going to BE Greece.

(yes, I know that is hyperbolic)

Reminds me of the Euro sausage from Yes Minister.