Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

My work has sent out mails regarding our tech systems and checkpoints in updating pending a hard Brexit.

An American retail manufacturing company, doing more to plan for and find solutions for Brexit than the actual British government.

That’s hilarious. And also shows what an abysmal “leader” she is. America and Great Britain. Two shit-stains of the Western World right now when you look at our executive leadership.

Absent an extension from the EU, Britain could unilaterally revoke Article 50 to avoid hard Brexit, right? Kind of turn the clock back two years.

Yup. It could happen tomorrow.

What political price (if any) that would have to be paid with the UK electorate afterwards is a more open question.

But yeah we could just say “Brexit was a mistake, we are staying” and that would be that.

I’m afraid the yellow jackets in Paris would be nothing compared to what parliament revoking Brexit would mean for the UK. There’s just too much malice out there. Not sure in the end if Brexit or divisive civil disorder would be worse.

What an awful performance by May last night. She scheduled a big announcement, delayed it, and then whined about MPs for a couple of minutes.

By scheduling the announcement she created an expectation that some significant action would be taken. By then not doing anything she reminded us how essential it is that she takes some decisive action to try and get her deal through. There are several things she could have done, none of which are appealing to her personally. Parliament can’t dictate to her what she should do (short of removing her), but equally she has a duty to do something.

Austerity is only for the poors.

Only among people who haven’t been paying attention to her for the last two years.

It’s not unusual in the US to see a President bash Congress, or effectively campaign against Congress. But I would have thought it was something that generally didn’t happen in parliamentary systems.

Welp.

Aren’t they also making an extension conditional on Parliament approving May’s deal?

Will of the people.

Indeed yes. I think this would be necessary, to allow the various brexit etc camps to come up with a coherent plan that can then be agreed upon.

As it is, the current pressure is entirely self inflicted.

As for effects on the electorate, whatever deal or no deal gets passed right now will piss off lots of people, so IMHO better remove the pressure, set our house in order, come back to the EU when we are united and able to say we want x, y and z and here’s the parliamentary majority to prove it.

A short extension, yes. If May were to come back (sharpish) with a a long extension request and a promise to hold a general and European elections, then that might get a positive reception, though it would not be guaranteed.

May just continues to inflict wound upon self-inflicted wound upon herself.

She could have asked for an extension until May 22. I think she would most likely have gotten that.

She could ask for an extension, while promising to hold European elections. The EU would not be happy with this, but it would probably agree, if there is a plan in place to ensure the UK reaches a resolution by the end of the deadline.

She chooses to ask for something that she is almost certain not to get, i.e., an extension after MEP, but while refusing to hold MEP elections in the UK. Also, with no plan on how to actually meet the proposed June 30 deadline.

Unless she successfully pulls off some grand political masterstroke in Parliament, this is just peak stupidity.

The idiocracy is lead by fools? Quelle surprise

EU playing hard-ball for May now.

Macron, arriving at the meeting, basically says that if Parliament doesn’t agree to the existing deal, there will be no extension and no further deals.

Rumania says that the max extension they will agree to is 3 weeks (i.e., until April 18).

Germany wants to avoid Hard Brexit at all costs, but the general message seems very clear.

Either the UK agrees to the existing deal. Or it’s Hard Brexit in a few days.

Eh, this is not stupid, in the context of her strategy (which is itself stupid, but that’s a different debate). Remember, she doesn’t want an extension to renegotiate the deal, she wants to pass the deal. The most likely way for the deal to pass is for it to be a clear choice between her deal and no deal (or revocation, for the ERG types). That’s what the short, but too long extension request achieves.The EU has an excuse to put conditionality on it, and she gets to go back to parliament and say it’s my way or the highway.

The speech last night was also congruent with her strategy. She was elected on the main policy of delivering Brexit. Any kind of delay goes against that policy and hence her political base. Antagonizing Parliament probably wasn’t such a wise move but I agreed with her assessment.

I’m amazed that this brexit crapis still going on.
It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion.