Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

If she can pass it, she can pass a paving motion to allow her to vote on it.

Also the EU denying an extension unless the deal is passed is pretty clearly a “change of circumstance” in the sense of the precedent. Not that Bercow necessarily cares.

I don’t think there’s any actual appetite to walk this stuff back and the whole ATAD / Brexit link is pure conspiracy theorist bullshit.

And if the brexiteers mention Singapore ONE MORE TIME I will… GAH!

Not necessarily on your first point. It gives MPs a lot of cover - “Oh, I’m in favour of the deal, but I couldn’t possibly override such an established tradition…”.

I haven’t looked into the second point at all, but as you say, it also hinges on the whims of Bercow…

Latest update is that EU is considering an extension to May 7, no conditions that a deal has to be passed next week. Extension beyond that only possible if a deal is approved.

Not sure May will be happy about that, but objectively speaking, I think it would be the “nice move”.

I signed it but can’t verify my email, site is down still. Over 1M people have signed now.

Update:

I hope this changes something but it probably won’t.

If the EU pre-approves a long delay then surely the knives come out for May (and potentially for Brexit).

I think any extension that ends with the UK electing a bunch of Brexiteers and a possible Brexiteer government having a proper say in EU matters is asking for trouble, but what do I know, I’m just a dude…

Yep, my email showed up after about 3 hours. Number 1,311,335 for me. I wonder who got the 1 millionth signature and won a free holiday to Brussels.

Putin?

Those petitions are pointless. Every one about Brexit has been discarded. Actually, every one that was remotely interesting or useful was discarded.

So after May’s “MP’s are traitors subverting the will of the people” speech last night, the Speaker had to say something

the police recommend MPs travel in groups and show precaution

threats abound

but within hours.

Why we are appeasing the Brexiters I don’t know. Don’t we ever learn?

Maybe if the Conservatives hadn’t deliberately fomented populist hate groups in their stupid, evil campaign to divide the nation and damage the continent, they wouldn’t be facing death threats now from the goons they pandered to. But yeah, I guess Soubry and the other mutineers deserve it somewhat less than the ERG.

The really bad thing is it looks like the major police forces are mostly composed of these same sorts of goons, and have no interest in defending their own government from assault.

In this connection, if your DVR recorded the rerun of SNL’s Christmas episode from last year, you could do worse than to watch the Brexit themed Happy Christmas, Britain! sketch with the always brilliant Kate McKinnon playing a very frustrated Theresa May.

Did we (as a nation, not you and I obviously) not intact vote for pain?

I was bitching way back in 2016 about how bullshit this all was. Burned a few friendships that way because I didn’t see how the process could be painless even if the end result could possibly have been good.

But hey, look at the bus!

What we are seeing now is the fight over what history will say.

Reports out of Brussels now is that May went into the meeting asking for the June 30 deadline, in order to give her leverage to get the deal accepted (i.e., this is her communication to the other EU leaders). During the meeting, she then apparently pivots to being willing to accept a No (and a No Deal Brexit), with a narrative that it’s the EU throwing the UK out of Europe.

The EU does not like the last one bit, of course; they want it to be clear that it is the UK that is leaving the Federation by its own choice and that the choice to leave with no deal is the UK’s alone. Thus the multi-step plan for the final Brexit giving the UK every opportunity to decide something (anything).

So, maybe some actually astute negotiation from May, for once? I guess we’ll see as the farce continues. Though personally, I’m more convinced now that we’ll end up in a no-deal brexit. The Banks agree, it seems: Goldman Sachs has the chances of May’s deal being accepted down to 50% from 60% yesterday; and the chances of no-deal Brexit increasing from 5% to 15%. Pound also crashed, from the news I’ve seen.

About half my income is in euros, so my bets are hedged no matter which of the 2 goes up relative to the other.

So, silver lining being my euros may be worth more £ now?

Ofcourse food will disappear off the shelves soon and we’ll be resorting to cannibalism (which is one way to end the obesity and elderly citizens crises I suppose) according to the newspapers so it’s a moot point?

The voices here are pretty good.