Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

Has Brexit not destroyed UK yet? #stillwaiting

Nothing is really happening.

Which is a worry. Tick tock.

Well its already weakened the UK significantly economically and in stature. It will never destroy the UK, just reduce it to being a third rate power. Hopefully there is still time to undo this whole Brexit mistake and just go back to the EU asap. Particularly since as it turns out there is no Brexit “dividend” just more bigger bills to pay.

Is there any path to this? Could someone just call a “do over” and erase the referendum or call a new one? I thought Brexit was locked and loaded, no take backs, at this point.

It would require Labour or the Conservatives to do the right thing for the country. But in principle May could do it tomorrow. if she wanted a veneer of parliamentary approval she could put it to a vote in the house (which would pass easily), inform the Queen then pick up the phone to a delighted EU family. Job done. Her name goes down in history as a great primeminister who chose her countries best interests instead of enacting an advisory referendum result she opposed.

If nobody in the EU vetoes… (I don’t think anybody would, but Italy is hard to control these days)

Charming from the The Daily Mail (sort of a naff version of Fox news for our unfamiliar readers)

If my previous familiarity didn’t clue me into their nature, that topline would have.

They probably thought they were being fair and balanced by not typing cancer in all caps.

More brexit bad news (there isn’t any good news). Why are we doing this again?

Racism and xenophobia, mainly.

And Russia.

And higher taxes (in violation of Tory manifesto commitments). It’s all pretty messed up.

Because the EU is a dysfunctional organisation incapable of responding to the desires of its citizens with extremely limited democratic legitimacy, whose executive is lead by a drunkard with a history of assisting in tax evasion and whose leading party includes Victor Orban.

Brexit is indeed worse than this, but it’s not like there aren’t plenty of good reasons to want to leave the EU.

Sob.

IKR…

At this point, I am reasonably convinced that when the end of March rolls around, nothing will change or everything will change. We’ve made no preparations, and the only two situations that can arise from that are status quo or utter chaos. Even two years from that point, it’s hard to see any other possible outcomes.

I suspect (knowing very little about you except that you post on a video game forum!) that you and I are not in the demographics that will truly suffer. I can cope if my food bill doubles. I will be miserable, but I can cope. A lot of people cannot.

Food bill double? Why would that happen?

• The UK would decide on what tariffs and regulations to impose on imports from the EU. It would be completely within its rights to accept EU standards as equivalent and allow imports of food from the EU.
  • Depending on what eventually happens regarding customs union etc, the UK would be able to lower tariffs on many foodstuffs from outside the EU.

Even food exports isn’t the biggest concern. The real problem is supply chains that cross the border multiple times. That’s going to have to be rationalised.

Oh I emigrated to the USA over twenty years ago :) Brexit wont impact me much at all. I do care about my (mainly working class & Brexit voting) family though. They are going to be hit hard by the lack of jobs coming from the slashed international investment in the UK.

Also I am the typical extra patriotic ex pat, it pains me to see the UK weakened by Brexit :( I hope at the last moment it will be called off or avoided somehow. It just seems madness to me.