Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

Oh, just as a point of comparison. Taxes are going to rise, wages are not going to rise as much with inflation, we’re all going to be poorer. I wasn’t aiming to be specific about exactly what form it will take.

Food won’t be cheaper though. It’s already gone up due to the fall in the currency, as multiple people have pointed out.

The guy thought as I did when watching the clip from todays march.

The government responds to Airbus concerns.

lol, ok admit it, I have a bit of a soft spot for Boris Johnson. Mainly because this

You shouldn’t.

That’s like having a soft spot for Donald Trump. Johnson is nasty racist, misogynist, homophobic piece of shit.

A friend memorably described him as “a cunt in twat’s clothing”.

Edit: A friend of mine that is. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if one of Boris’s friends had too.

Boris doesnt have friends, just temporary acquaintances that he discards or stabs in the back when he think he can gain something.

I saw this today, the headline is completely misleading. The real story is just how incredibly LOW the numbers of Brits getting EU passports is. Shockingly low in fact. It gives those ardent Remainders like myself pause. People are not voting with their feet thats for sure.

Note these are actual numbers not in thousands or anything.

I saw Boris give a talk on Churchill, it was both educational (I’ve read a ton by and about Churchill) and funny as hell. I don’t follow all of Boris’s politics, but unlike Trump he is both very intelligence and articulate. Add to that his wit, and I can easily see the appeal.

Yeah he is no fool. I disagree with him on a lot, but he has a bright intellect and I find it hard to dislike someone with a keen sense of humour…

He’s read the classics, he can recite Latin and come across all sophisitcated, but when you hear “our very own independence day” “go whistle” and “fuck business” do you honstely have any respect left for the guy?

I see a pretty dramatic increase. Particularly since the UK is currently still in the EU.

Changing nationality is a big deal, more likely to be a response to actual hardship than to a risk of imminent hardship.

Its less than half the number of EU citizens who are becoming British in the past 12 months. If the UK is indeed (as I believe) economically screwed by Brexit, people in the EU and the UK certainly do not seem to agree. They are voting with their feet and its net to the UK not from it…

Nobody in either party is talking about the problems Brexit is going to unleash. The BBC is being extremely ‘balanced’ in its coverage. Nobody - including business - has, up to this point, really thought the government might genuinely be so stupid as to crash out in a chaotic no deal.

There’s really no reason for the UK population to see any problem about to happen with the UK economy. I guess we’ll see what happens.

A citizen of the EU living in the UK is probably more worried about being screwed over by the UK government (and people), than a UK citizen living in the EU. You are not likely to be harassed for being a UK citizen living in a EU country. No one is going to smash your windows, harass you on the streets, or refuse to allow you to test drive a car because your license is British. You are also unlikely to be targeted for deportation.

Getting a UK citizenship won’t stop the day-to-day racism, but it will at least prevent government officials and the court system from overt harassment and discrimination and make it impossible to deport you - something that is a serious concern for many EU residents in the UK.

I’m not exactly following your rambling (what does voting have to do with citizenship requests?) but do tell, a 12x increase is nothing?

Oh to be clear I absolutely agree , I left the UK decades ago but if I was still there for damn sure I would be getting my EU passport right now. I am just surprised so few feel that way.

I have no idea what you are babbling about.

The UK has not been economically screwed by Brexit, because Brexit hasn’t happened yet.

Pre-emptively changing nationality because you have a strong suspicion that it will be screwed in the future is quite a gamble. An even bigger gamble than mortgaging the house in order to short the UK pound, and how many Brexit pessimists are willing to do that?

And unlike placing a bet on the pound, when it comes to EU citizenship there isn’t a huge disadvantage to wait-and-see if your worst fears materialize. It’s never too late to change citizenship. So even for pessimists, staying put for now might be the most rational choice.