Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

Yeah I can see that. Although its going to be too late when the problems hit and I agree, they will.

That makes perfect sense as it explains why you think the headline was misleading. 600 people were granted citizenship in Germany in 2015, 2702 in 2016 and 7500 in 2017. That is a 12x increase so there was nothing wrong with that headline.

Or one could say an increase of 8000 people year over year is a trivial number when it comes to immigration, particularly when compared to the numbers going the other way.

Because when dealing with such numbers from such a low base multiples are not a sensible way of reading them. For example you could say “The number of British people becoming Romanian has DOUBLED in 2017!!!” versus the more accurate “its gone from 1 to 2 people”.

I still have no idea what you were talking about when it comes to voting by the way. But whatever, you are clearly in a pissy ass mood and you got one right back.

Doubly weird as I am ON YOUR SIDE ffs :)

“Surge” doesn’t really mean a large number, though. It means a rapid increase.

For instance, there was a surge of fatal shootings by the alt-right here after Trump was elected. But the number is still miniscule compared to, I dunno, the number of fatal heart attacks. But even if the absolute numbers are small, a sustained rapid increase does merit some attention.

Granted and point taken.

I think its misleading as in I think the real story is how low the numbers are, regardless of the rate of increase. So for me a better headline would have been citing the actual number. My understanding however is the headlines are often written by different people who write the article so I understand how it can happen. Also I am not suggesting the BBC is being biased here to be clear, just that the headline doesn’t convey the meat of the article.

So in a world where we are dealing with numbers in the millions, I was just struck with the fact UK folks are leaving in the thousands if that makes sense?

I don’t know how many UK citizens emigrated this year, but it’s likely far more than the number who changed citizenship. So I don’t think you should compare figures regarding naturalization to figures regarding migration.

This article only has figures up to 2015, but it shows that over 100,000 UK citizens left the UK each year before the Brexit vote.

Has there been any kind of “Throw’em out” movement in the EU, in regards to the British? Don’t think so, so, why take a radical step on the chance stuff is going to go south? You’d need a strong motive, like needing to make sure you’ll still be able to travel freely in the whole EU instead of just in whatever EU country you’re living in…

And let’s be real here, chances of the public wanting British citizens to be kicked out of EU countries should be negligible, they’re still the right kind of immigrant…

Yeah, but the chances of the British public wanting EU citizens to be kicked out of the UK are not negligible, though I guess that depends on how successful UKIP/Russia are at drumming up xenophobia.

So what choice will the EU have when their citizens are being asked politely to leave the UK?

How do these numbers correlate with people who are both financially able to leave UK and also secure employment? I don’t think people can simply walk away from UK for the most part.

So, what are England/Russia/US going to do to make Trumpism and Brexit look like less stupid choices? Is the EU capable of fending off invasion?

Russia isn’t interested in defending its agenda. All they want is chaos in the West so they can shake up the world order and take a more prominent place. That’s going well, and a terrible Brexit deal will help, not hurt, achieve their goals.

And as for Trumpism, you see what that’s doing. They couldn’t have been more effective if they invaded.

I don’t think they would turn away some sort of alliance with UK/US. And they would need some sort of physical presence to have any real control over their adversaries.

Story time: I have a colleague who is British. She and her British Husband have been living in Germany for almost a decade now. They have two children that have dual citizenship. Their whole life and work is here. She still voted pro Brexit because “It will never happen and I want to show the cuntsin government they suck”. Now she is all “I don’t get a German passports because Germany won’t kick us out. They will not send me away when I have kids with German passports surely.”. Not sure if stupid or very optimistic. So far the language in politics is strong on the UK side to throw out everyone if there is no agreement. In Germany for example that is not a point of talk at all. So from my mighty example of one I conclude that British citizens in a EU country simply don’t feel the need to change citizenship as do EU citizens in the UK.

If you start getting video on TV of EU citizens being deported from the UK, well, you might get into a tit for tat situation, but I doubt it.

As for the EU being able to fight off the forces that lead to Brexit / Trump, LOL, no. Fear of zombies is at an all time high, and it doesn’t matter if there are zombies or not, some countries on the EU have governments very keen on people fearing zombies, and politicians on almost all countries have staked their horse to a contra zombie position. And it’s too late for normal politicians to go “But actually, there are no zombies”, it’s common knowledge now, that zombies are a problem.

:D

The number of EU citizens deported from the UK has increased some 15-20% since Brexit, and various EU MPs have expressed their concern about this and the fairly well-documented harassment going on (especially of east european EU citizens). So I could definitely see individual nations (especially in East Europe) taking a tougher stance against British citizens if things continue along the path they are going as a tit for tat, but the likelihood of an EU-wide reaction seems very, very unlikely unless the UK does something truly heinous. Nobody in Europe fears British immigrants.

I’m really not sure where you get that idea from. If nothing else in terms of public opinion there’s a big difference between stopping the inflow and throwing out people who are already here. Witness how easily Javid was able to kill the awful hostile environment policy.

That’s just what she quoted to me from her news sources and what she portraits to be the general tone. Wasn’t there a big part of Brexit that was about all the eastern Europeans taking jobs? That was something she continuously complained about.

I think it was more about the…shall we say…swarthier types.

Yea I know. Pure hubris on her part.

Wait, what now? It hasn’t been killed. There have been changes around the margin, like the bank account ban, and Javid said there’d be a review, but May made perfectly clear the policy as a whole would stay in place.