Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

After the most disastrous and chaotic few days for the Tories in Westminster so far Labours only response was to congratulate Wolf Alice Mother on winning the Mercury Music Award.

McDonnell is today shooting down any mention of a 2nd ref or Brexit cancellation. These guys want the hardest Brexit possible so they can gain power, the more people at food banks, the more people unemployed, the more pain, the more misery, the better it is for their plans. If anyone wants to know what these plans look like then check out the decades of unwavering solidarity and support from the UK hard left for the Chavistas in Venezuela.

The Tories, and their proxies in Labour are pushing ahead with the full no deal, no transport links, no medicine, no food, no insurance, no nuclear isotopes, no cross border data transfers, no cross border financial transactions, no licences, no certificates of worthiness, no cross border trade everyone is gonna fucking starve and be made unemployed Brexit and quite frankly at some point im gonna start posting dogshit through the letter boxes of all the c*nts in my road who voted for this and after that i move to petrol, fuck those racist fucks for imposing this on us and fuck those racists in Westminster for listening to them.

So…You’re not 100% happy then?

I reckon 2 years into this I am more incandescent with rage than i was just after the ref. At least at that point the Leavers might have been able offer something more than economic and social armageddon, but nowadays they are knowingly and openly demanding economic and social armageddon saying that it will take 50-100 years to notice the positive effects. Its vandalism, its empowered the ethno-nationalists to the point we have an openly resurgent far right, and its also blatantly obvious they are prepping us for a vulture capitalist asset grab, and to oppose this, what do we have?

Corbyn’s EU position aside, I’m not sure if you are arguing that it is completely false that EU has directives that promote capitalism? Some of them date back to 1962:

From Procedures:

After the prescribed date, the bids are opened and assessed, and either the “lowest cost” or “most economically advantageous tender” is chosen.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing but it seems like capitalism to me.

As a sidenote it is possible to apply for exemption from public procurement for utilities markets

Regarding nationalisation then it seems to require a law degree (that I don’t have) to understand but I will suggest anyone interested read the Review part of the following:

It amazes me that people in 2018 still parrot this tired nonsense. As an American, I might be ignorant of some aspects of British politics, but I suspect I won’t learn much of use from this stuff.

Your views seem a little extreme :)
I remember when the EU was founded in '93. It seems the UK did just fine for hundreds of years before the EU. Have a cup of tea - I’m sure everything will be fine.

Heh. You could apply the same logic to electricity, or oil or any post middle ages technology, since the UK and it’s constituent parts have a considerable history… Doesn’t mean you would work to live in the past.

No, im not white. Brexit was 17m people telling me to fuck off out of their country.

No, im listing some of the reasons for Lexit. It’s primarily driven by a hard left outlook that rejects all that the EU brings at quite a fundamental level, and most of those things are the reason we are the first world, and the places they want to emulate are the third world.

Yeah, but you forgot to diss granola and Birkenstocks. Seriously.

I am madder now then then too. I have a reserve rage for Labours weakness on the issue as well. Brexit needs to be stopped or undone. The whole affair has been a collossal mistake not to say embarassing meltdown by my country. I dream of the day we can all pretend it never happened.

I’m not either.

Brexit was 16.4 (iirc) m people telling you to stay in!

And most Brexiteers I know/knew aren’t racist either. They genuinely bought the independence rhetoric.

Also, let’s face it, the EU is an easy target,. It’s so large and inefficient and the governing body is hard to justify.

I’m pro-EU in the broadest sense of the word, i.e. thinking having economy number 3, 4 and 5 working together is a thing we ought to be a part of (we’re economy number 4 or 5, along with France, Germany is number 3) but the administration is just silly. It also doesn’t help that the UK government has consistently applied the strict letter of EU directives without considering the spirit, and then absolved itself of responsibility.

Whereas other countries have put their own rules first.

A very obvious, and pertinent to me, example is how in Spain, or the Canary Islands at least, you have to get health insurance before you can be registered as living here. That costs 600 euros (or did when I got it) and that was despite me coming here since…1987 or thereabouts.

One could argue that contravenes the right to move and work wherever you like, but the government here is doing it. They’re also charging me customs if I have anything shipped from England…

And if Spain (an autonomous, tiny region of Spain to boot) can do it, then it begs the question why the f*ck Britain couldn’t…what a simple way to “solve” the “problem” of all the Poles coming over and stealing our jobs.(for the record, I like the Poles)

Simply declare that anyone moving in needs health insurance, mandate who can provide it (the government ofcourse) and charge a cool £1000. Straight away, the ones who are serious and contributing will pay, those who are actually free loaders won’t (I suspect very few are actually free loaders) and this simple measure would have destroyed the central Brexiteer racist plank of support - namely that those horrible EU cretins were stealing all our jobs (ignoring for the moment that we could have vetoed the whole thing but didn’t…)

Then put in a citizenship/residency requirement before you can claim benefits (again, like what I am subject to here in Gran Canaria) and that other argument - that they come just for the benefits, also goes out of the window.

The clear advantages of the EU are things people take for granted now, and I fear a loss of those will be a sharp wakeup call, e.g. visa free travel.

Not all Brexit voters are racist for sure. But every single one I know (many family members) are xenophobic, or more politely, dont want more foreigners around. Immigration was , in my opinion, a far bigger issue in the vote than the understandable dislike of Brussels incompetent and bloated bureaucracy.

For me I went from respecting the will of the people to now just being angry as hell these people voted to strip away my EU right of residency with no plan on how to make it work.

The UK has its own special territories that are granted EU exceptions, like the British Virgin Islands and the Falklands. In common with the Canary Islands, they are too small, inconsequential, and far away for anyone to put up a big fuss.

Granting exceptions to the fourth (or fifth) biggest economy in the world is another matter.

Which of the US, China and Japan doesn’t count?

There is an old English saying:

“The English hate foreigners and foreigners begin at the end of the street.”

:)

You cannot claim benefits in the UK unless you pass a residency test already. Ultimately the leave campaign made arguments that were at best a distortion of reality. And in some cases outright lies and fear mongering. Positing solutions to their imaginary problems doesn’t really change anything because they’ll just move onto the next lie.

Confirmed

https://twitter.com/georgialewis76/status/1044234593681969152?s=19

Neither of the territories you mention is even part of the EU (whereas the canary islands is), but the wider point - that the EU has been prepared to carve out special statuses for small territories but not larger countries, is absolutely true.

It’s not an exception. The health insurance thing is a basic part of FoM, the UK just didn’t apply it until very recently.