Brexit, aka, the UK Becomes a Clown Car of the Highest Order

Yes, and considerably I would say.

Damn Mackems should have got it right in the first place, most of them depend on Nissan in some way, directly or indirectly.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I feel like this is the “do over” chance that many have wanted, and the Brexit vote will not pass. What happens then is anyone’s guess.

The last polling I saw a month or so back showed about a five percent net swing toward remain, but then again that’s about the sort of variation we saw throughout the campaign.

There is next to zero chance the vote will not pass. The Lib Dems and the regional parties are the only ones standing against it, and they have nothing to lose. Literally one Tory, and only a handful of Labour MPs, voted against the previous non-binding motion on Article 50.

I’ll be happy if the Remain nays match their constituencies even if it won’t reject Brexit.

I can’t stand the bullshit from the Quitlers about the Will Of The People and that 52% is representative of overwhelming majority and 100% support.

My constituency was Leave, but every single major employer bar one requires EU passporting so I’m hoping my MP at least fights for financial services.

Speaking of my MP, here’s what he had to say earlier about the amendments Labour would be tabling:

[quote]

1. That a detailed Government plan for Brexit is published before Article 50 is triggered, along with robust impact assessments.

2. That the Govt stick to a number of key principles throughout negotiations, including securing barrier-free access to the single market.

3. That the legal status of EU citizens in the UK is resolved before negotiations begin.

4. That there is robust and regular Parliamentary scrutiny throughout the Brexit negotiations.

5. That there is a meaningful vote in Parliament on the exit settlement – to be held before Govt agrees the final deal with the Commission.[/quote]

Good luck getting those through, especially considering May has abandoned the idea of staying in the customs union, so there are going to be non-tariff barriers at a minimum, and she seems to think the status of EU residents is a bargaining chip.

And he’s pointedly not replying to questions about whether he’d vote against the bill if the amendments aren’t included.

I believe the best estimate was 401 out of 632 constituencies voted to Leave.

2 is meaningless and fundamentally ignores what a negotiation is. 1 and 3 would hamstring any negotiation. 4 would be a disaster - you can’t negotiate by committee and expect for anything to be achieved. Not sure about 5.

You have to understand that it isn’t in the best interests of a Labour MP, I assume, for May’s government to do well, so it’s not like they’re making entirely helpful suggestions.

Should have been 50% of the eligible vote as a minimum, but too late for that now.

Well, no, of course he’s not trying to be helpful. But at the same time he’s not doing what I and most of his constituents want him to do, which is to actively oppose.

Labour, again I’m assuming, can’t oppose. UKIP are waiting in the wings to eat their lunch. Hmm. Well, individual MPs probably have some leeway, but head office can’t have it as a policy.

Well, they can, but they won’t. Latest word is that there will in fact be a whip on the Article 50 vote.

At least that’ll get Keith Vaz out.

That Brexit bill in full:[quote]A

BILL

TO

Confer power on the Prime Minister to notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty
on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the
EU.

Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and
consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present
Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Power to notify withdrawal from the EU

(1)The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European
Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.

(2)This section has effect despite any provision made by or under the European
Communities Act 1972 or any other enactment.

2 Short title

This Act may be cited as the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act
[/quote]

Taking back control! Of our nuclear waste.

On a slightly related note now that Donzo and May are best buddies or something now.

The UK cocks its gun, brings its own foot into the sights: Article 50 to be triggered next Wednesday.

Foot?

No its going to be one of those failed slippery shotgun suicides, where we end up with a half a face and in agony for decades.

The UK, 30 March.

[quote]
“We are on the threshold of the most important negotiation for this country for a generation,” Brexit Secretary David Davis said. “The government is clear in its aims: a deal that works for every nation and region of the U.K. and indeed for all of Europe - a new, positive partnership between the U.K. and our friends and allies in the European Union.”[/quote]

This is fine.

I wonder if they call them friends and allies in 6 months when they’re looking at 50% tariffs on British cars, and no one wants to import anything else anyway.

My popcorn is ready.