Brian Fargo is returning to the Wasteland for a third time

I just finished up my game. I actually went against my leanings and played it on normal and I’m happy I did it. The combat system is fine, but the real draw for me was the story and writing, along with the way it made me feel making my choices. It really drew me in. On normal the game was really easy, but I didn’t mind.

In my mind I had some ways I wish I could have made it play out, but there weren’t any options for me to achieve that. I would have liked to

support the Patriarch, but force him to hold elections after I took care of his problems. He had way too much crappy baggage to deserve to keep leading. I couldn’t really support Deth because unleashing a horde of criminals on Kansas didn’t seem like a fair thing to do. Then later after she caused half my rangers to revolt there was no way I was going to let her walk away free.

I wish all games could give the player such interesting story choices and worlds that really have such a strong personality. I’m always left wishing there were more choices though because there are always some that just don’t fit with how I think things should be.

I finished tonight too, played it on normal with friendly fire on and I also found it too easy especially at the end, I wish I would have played it at a higher difficulty level. My brawler and the Lucia Wesson were killing machines, I saw her have a hit over 2100 damage. Loved the game but also wish I could have had a few more options at the end.

It’s happening!

You go guy! Enjoy!

It’s very interesting that in this game there’s seldom enough cover in combat situations to put your whole party in cover. Most of the time, you can put some behind cover but you have to decide which ones to leave out in the cold, vulnerable to sniper shots if they’re in the back, or vulnerable to everything if they’re out in the front.

Really? I finished the game and I can’t think of any occasions I didn’t have at least half height cover available to everyone - except inside the museum in Colorado Springs.

I agree, cover was definitely not a problem for me, aside from a couple circumstances where it didn’t matter and I was able to send my melee character charging into the midst of the enemy and steal their cover from them. Weird that we have such different takes on the amount of cover. Are you considering walls/corners as cover or just the barriers placed around the combat field?

Beat the game over the weekend - really enjoyed my time overall. It was a bit funny that I was able to talk my way out of the entire final encounter by maxing out both hard ass and kiss ass. Angela’s storyline was a bit dumb though - wish they fleshened that out better.

I just bought this, made it to meet the Patriarch gives you an airbase to serve as HQ and you’re supposed to get it up and running. I do that, the Patriarch comes in and we go to dialog screens. I exhaust the “tell me about your evil kids” dialogs and “tell me about the Dorseys and the ambush” dialogs, and I don’t know how to proceed: If I try either of those again I go around the same loops, and the only other visible option is greyed out because my team doesnt have barter 1. Escape and space bar dont end the dialog, is this a bug or is there something else I’m supposed to do?

Did you scroll down in the dialog options? Sometimes there are more hidden down there.

Thanks! That was all I needed to do.

Yay!

I finished this yesterday (on the easiest difficulty because I suck). First one I’ve ever finished. First Brian Fargo-related RPG ever finished too. I’m super proud of myself! And I have to say I really liked it even though it was a bit buggy near the end. Like, I will probably replay it on the next difficulty level.

And I loved, loved, loved the soundtrack.

It seems like the game wants you to swap people in and out to use skills like modding and explosives, but that feels tedious. I’m not playing on supreme jerk difficulty but the level before that, can I get through w/o all the shuffling?

You totally can. I think with the right combination of people you should be able to get all the skills. Just make sure not to neglect the combat skills though.

I never shuffled but that does mean that you end up with some characters who are a bit weaker than those who min-max. The game isn’t that difficult so not a huge factor in clearing the game though.

thanks, thats what I wanted to hear

Yeah, that is a bit confusing, it’s not all all clear from the dialogue interface that there are option hidden down below.

No, unused characters level up along with those used more regularly. But I just tend to use the same 6 because I like them, Lucia and Kwan, maybe Pizepi. Don’t care anyone else of the named companions.

A bit late to the party but I just wanted to say that I’m really enjoying the game. As always with party based RPGs the start can be a little rough before you figure out a good skill spread for your party members, especially if you’re looking to avoid any overlap with the companions that you get later on, but once things get going it’s a really enjoyable experience. Fwiw, I’m up to Denver now and my party is around level 15.

After years of playing RPGs and dealing with various things and minor annoyances, ranging from questionable leveling and progression curves to the pace killers that are RPG cities, or having environments absolutely littered with tons of useless items, it’s a real breath of fresh air to get my hands on an RPG that feels so wonderfully compact and deep and satisfying at the same time. Locations, even ‘cities’, are kept small and yet are full of interesting things to do - just the right amount of NPCs and environmental hazards with skill checks, but not too much so you don’t get overwhelmed, nicely spaced out combat scenarios, and best of all, not a fork or spoon or frickin turpentine to pick up by accident in sight!! Everything feels like it has a purpose and I love it.

And while I initially wasn’t really on board with the Wasteland’s writing style - Wasteland 2 being my first WL game, and I prefer a more realistic and grounded/gritty setting/writing in my RPGs - I’ve developed a real appreciation for how diverse the side quests and different locations feel, especially after playing Cyberpunk that had me rolling my eyes every time I picked up yet another painfully generic side mission.

The game is not without its flaws however, but fortunately for me at this point they are all on technical side (various minor bugs), which is about as high praise as I can give any game. Looking forward to see more of it, and then probably even replay with a different party and companions.