Brian Fargo is returning to the Wasteland for a third time

After two runs through it, I have to echo the above comments and say it’s well worth playing. It’s still on Game Pass, if you have access to that, but otherwise I’d say you’d definitely get your money’s worth if you purchase it. It does feel smaller in scope and it’s definitely a linear experience with choices, but those aren’t necessarily problems depending on what you are looking to have in a game. After several patches, I thought it was more or less glitch-free aside from some minor hitches.

Its, good but I missed creating my own full squad from scratch. That was something i loved about 2

You know you can do that when you talk to your boss in the control room of your base?

The Battle of Steeltown DLC incoming for $14.

Looks good. June 3rd.

https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/battle-of-steeltown-releasing-june-3

I enjoyed the game and am happy they’re creating more content for it, but 10 months is a long ass time, I’m long finished with WL3. They should have promoted it as a standalone adventure, or a post-completion thing perhaps.

I really enjoy many DLC, but since I usually don’t want to play through games twice, it means that I have to wait a year or longer to play a game after it has been released. I’m finishing up The Outer Worlds now because the last/second DLC was released recently. I’ll have to do the same for Wasteland 3. I just need to learn to wait for the GOTY editions.

Yeah, I really loved playing the two runs through WL3 that I managed, but I don’t think I’d jump back in any time soon to spend that much time again to play a DLC, nor only if I can jump right to the DLC somewhere within the story I’ve already completed. I think a continuing chapter DLC would have been something that I could have managed, loading up my last save and then moving into the new content, but high/max-level DLC probably wouldn’t have been too exciting.

Still, nice that they are still building new content. Maybe some day down the road I’ll feel like playing it again and it’ll be a full package deal.

Picked up the game on sale a few days ago. It’s good, but really is profoundly old-fashioned in its way. Fallout 2 and New Vegas are still at the top of the genre as regards black humor and entertaining gameplay respectively, but W3 isn’t bad at all.

Wasteland 2 was truly old-fashioned, like recidivist CRPG from the 80s with a modern-ish presentation. W3 is a vastly more modern game.

The combat and character development in this game is head and tails over that in Fallout 2. It is less of a pure RPG and more of a tactical combat game like XCom or Phoenix Point (though it’s RPG elements are heavier than those 2). It really is a cross between an old style Fallout and one of those games.

Yeah, Fallout 2 had mediocre gameplay compared to Wasteland 3. It was tops for black humor, however.

The sale price is tempting, and an RPG with X-com combat sounds right up my alley.

How bad is Wasteland 3 about seeding all its maps with lootable objects like far too many RPGs since the Infinity Engine revived the genre? I can’t think of anything more rote in the genre than “exploring” a town map by clicking on all the lootables while NPCs stare rigidly in the other direction. Speaking of towns, does the dialog system give you any reason not to click through all possible responses from top to bottom? Another rote RPG activity that needs to go away. Maybe I should just go play some more Disco Elysium.

At this point, I wait around two years before starting with massive RPGs, because the amount of post release polish and content always seems so massive. There is no chance I am going to play through any of these long RPGs twice, so I might as well wait for the “proper” version. This is coming from someone who missed both the Director’s Cut version of Wasteland 2 and the Legendary edition of Divinity Original Sin 2, because I had progressed way too far in the vanilla versions and there was no way to carry over save games… Same thing happened to me with Shadowrun Dragonfall, come to think of it! It doesn’t bother me with 4x games or action games or whatnot, but with RPGs I’d much rather wait for the complete package before diving in.

Yes there’s a bunch of looting and indeed, conversation is exactly as you describe it. Wasteland isn’t looking to innovate. It’s exactly what you expect it to be.

I think that’s the smart thing to do. Bards Tale 4 and Pathfinder Kingmaker changed me from a day 1 purchaser to a patientgamer. I’m so done with half assed games at launch and the fix it later mentality.

Sad thing is I am willing to pay full price, but not for incomplete games or buggy messes.

Indeed. I find I am also happy to pay full price, but my limiting factor is time, so time spent on something not working quite right is time wasted imho :(.

Plus even if something releases with acceptable bugs (nothing releases perfectly) player feedback to evolve the game is usually worth waiting for imho!

I’ve been considering getting back into W3. October sounds about right.

Definitely tempted to spend another $20 on the expansion pass for these two DLC. They both look good.

2nd Expansion came out a couple of days ago! I didn’t see it mentioned anywhere, I guess it’s almost a stealth release.

Anyway, I kickstarted this game, so I own it on Steam. But I’ve mostly played the Game Pass Windows 10 version. I started the Xbox version but didn’t get too far. So most of my progress is on the Windows store version, so that’s where I should buy the expansion pass I guess? I wish I could just buy it once and have it on all 3 platforms (steam, Win10, and Xbox).