Brian Fargo is returning to the Wasteland for a third time

Great advice, though I would only add I take 2 animal whisperer on all my characters so I can have my party full of pets that join the attack. You can also dismiss pets to go back to base, to gather new ones, so I had plenty in reserve for when combat was tough and wiped out my dogs/cats or robo chickens

Also, I was surprised how effective bunnies were in combat, for a 1 animal whisperer requirement, they were deadly! I couldn’t help but think of Monthy Pythons Holy Grail when they attacked! 😂

So I tried this again with the two DLCs. Not sure what to think, really. Folks who post guides and stuff are saying there are glitches that make later-game combat nearly impossible, and I think they may be right. Once you hit 20 or so on Ranger or higher difficulty, the enemies are very resistant to your weapons while they often one or two-shot your characters. It turns what should be a tactical challenge into a slog of frustration, often.

Much worse though is that horrible Holy Detonation DLC. While there are some cool weapons, armor, and consumables in Cheyenne Mountain, the mechanics of the DLC suck hairy goat balls. They consist of a seemingly endless series of encounters where you have to rush through unending respawning bad guys to flip several switches or step on several pressure plates. Many times the switches are physically blocked by enemies, making a blitz/stealth approach impossible. The pace of combat, the aforementioned super-enemies, and paucity of ammunition and consumables (at least for my guys) makes each one of these set-pieces no fun at all.

I finally just turned difficulty down to Tourist and even then each one was interminable. Oh, and you are always being irradiated as well, so there’s that, too. The storyline, unlike Steeltown, is pretty dumb, and the characters are forgettable. It’s just not a good DLC.

I bailed around level 21 or so not finished in Cheyenne Mountain. Might redo it yet again, this time actually supporting the Patriarch up and down the line rather than my usual wishy-washy slide into do-goodery that gets everyone killed in the end, rather than selectively killing folks. I do love the way your actions have consequences quite often, even if I usually forget that time actually matters (sorry, Bizarre!) and I have yet to bring myself to ally with the Gippers. The game makes you choose between bad and worse most of the time, which is kind of refreshing.

Thanks for the heads up on the Holy Detonation DLC.

Ok, I have a problem I can’t figure out how to solve. I played the game back in Nov (not finished) and was looking to pick it back up again. But when I start the game up, I can’t load any saves, “Load Save” is blanked out. But my save files are on my hard drive at C:/Documents/My Games/Wasteland 3/Save Games where they should be. And the game is supposed to use Steam Cloud saves. So what’s up? How do I get the game to recognize my save games? Google doesn’t seem to help me on this problem.

I should also note that Steam Cloud only shows about 4 games saved, while I have a couple of dozen on my hard drive. But the game doesn’t show any save games so I’m even if I got these synched, I’m not sure how to get the game to recognize the save games.

PS, I’ve read that anti-virus can block saves on WL3 so I’ve exempted both the Steam and save game folders but no change. And I’ve been using Windows Defender all the time with no changes there. I really can’t figure out what is going on.

PPS, I can’t even start and new game and load a save from that. The game simply doesn’t recognize any save games. The new ones are also in my save game folder, the game can’t find/recognize them. Very frustrating.

Figured it out when I tried to copy the save files to another folder and I couldn’t. Turns out MS One Drive was not signed in, once I signed in the saves were there. Now that leads to another problem is that One Drive have over a gig of save games from any games that save to the My Documents folder.

I’d unlink My Documents from the Onedrive experience, it was really, really fucking dumb of MS to do that given that My Documents is a near-unusable dumping ground of random application shit stemming from their poorly thought out userspace UX back in the XP days.

I don’t use My Documents for anything personal any more - it’s not worth the headache of hiding the myriad pointless folders that crop up which most certainly do not contain ‘my documents’ - and instead just rely on my (entirely decoupled) onedrive documents folder to store anything I legitimately care about.

Pretty much. The Patriarch is kind of a scumbag. His children are also horrible, although I guess the one with the Grippers is possibility not very bad, as he is clearly being brainwashed and manipulated. While Angela’s plan is off-mission and compromised by aligning and using a slaver as a means to an end.

A good playthough in hindsight seems to be:

1. Take President Reagan’s AI hostage and spare the kid
  2. Kill the Psycho murderer in Alpine
  3. Arrest the daughter
  4. Kill the Slaver before he goes to Kansas (using him is useful though, but it’s clear he will start a war in Kansas resulting in more death). Optimally also just take out all the gangs before returning to Ranger HQ.
  5. Side with the Patriarch at first and take out the Pro-Angela faction rangers (this spares most of the good-aligned named NPCs at the base IMO)
  6. Double cross the Patriarch at the final fight siding with Angela (requires 10 in Badass). Hold trial and put him behind bars
  7. Ethier send supplies back to Arizona or have the Arizona rangers all move to Colorado now that you control it.

It’s mostly checks and balances between a rock and hard place. The game is interesting in so far every faction is despicable, except for the Rangers of course…

Moving the Rangers to CO is bad because it dooms AZ with no one to continue to protect the area.

I agree but the really dumb thing about unlinking My Documents is that when you do that it removes the data currently in My Documents on your hard drive but keeps them on One Drive. Now going forward One Drive won’t backup to One Drive, but why the heck does it delete everything on in My Documents on your hard drive, when the whole point is you want it on your hard drive and not One Drive! I have to temporarily copy everything somewhere, then unlink, and then copy it back to My Documents where I want it to begin with. This is so ass backwards. It should leave everything on my hard drive and delete it on One Drive. Just stupid.

How do I recruit Major Tom with cigarettes? I have them in my quick clot but I can only use them on my character. I’ve looked all over and all the guides just say “offer him the cigarettes” but exactly HOW do I do that? The conversation menu doesn’t give me any option, it just offers using animal whisperer. What am I missing here?

You have to save the one lady and she gives you cigarettes. Or have a level of the animal whisperer skill. It’s been a while but I think you ‘leader’ character might have to be the one to talk to him.

Yes, I have the cigarettes, but the question is what do I do to recruit him with them? I have them in my quick slot, but I can’t see any way to offer them to him. What mechanically on the PC do I need to do exactly? How do I OFFER them to him? That’s my question.

Hmmm, that’s not an option for me. Wonder what I am doing wrong? Thanks, I’ll have to look into this.

Edit: Ok, I had to take them out of my quick slot. Again, thanks!

The area is already doomed. Also that was never mentioned at all in the end-game slides. The ending I got was pretty positive all things considered.

The entire game with the exception of the last DLC is all really well done. While the last DLC does give you some options and have some story, the gameplay they chose to add and have to do over and over without variance is pretty lacking. I was hoping they would release a patch after it had been out for a bit to make it more palatable but it seems it has been shelved as “done” and they don’t plan on fixing the various console and PC bugs that are left and tweak those fights to be a bit more diverse.

Uh, no, last line from the song for the ending where Arizona is saved:

“That the Rangers are returning and they’re bringing all they promised from the snow”

It is 4AM here and I finished Wasteland 3 after some 60 hours of very engaging playtime. Great game!

Absolutely loved the moment this played

I arrested alive all three asshole kids and sided with Patriarch, because saving people in Arizona was my priority. I loved how non black and white it all was though. Angela Deth was really dumb though.

Hah, did all that except double crossing Patriarch. I thought it would be dumb to go back on my word, particularly when he only has a year or two to live anyway.
Also, arrested Brygo, killed all those stupid gangs, let Monster Army stay in Bizzare.

I really enjoyed wasteland 3. Unfortunately it is one of those games I have no desire to play through more than once. The different endings is not enough for me to go through it a 2nd time and I think another issue was the large squad size.

You see, I like to explore different builds and game mechanics, but since your squad was so big, you could hit all of the builds in a single play through.

The DLC are also uneven, with the Steeltown one being pretty good and the one with the nuclear weapons cult being truly terrible. The game is already very long. I made it through one and half play-throughs before burning out totally. Good game though for sure.

Yeah, I didn’t bother to buy any of the DLCs because I read they were bad. I lean towards no DLC nowadays unless there is some good reason.