Brian Fargo Wants To Kickstart Wasteland Reboot

Another, from PC Gamer

RPS could have done a better job. He starts saying the game is formidable, but most of the review is about the little negative parts that are cumbersome or didn’t convince him entirely. I get he doesn’t talk of characters or story because he don’t want to put spoilers, but what about dialog options and their effect in the game? choice and consequences? quest variety, writing and overall quality? moral choices? puzzles? etc
He also doesn’t talk that much of the combat, even if I suspect half of the game length will be spend in it.

build hint

one NPC you can get right at the start of the game has brute force, outdoorsman, kiss ass and weaponsmithing, so you might be able to get away with avoiding those at the start.

edit: even more

FWIW, I’m pretty sure this particular character is scripted to leave the party fairly early on, from a comment I read (I never played too far into the Early Access, myself) so those skills will probably need to get picked up at some point by a PC.

You are right, the second guide I posted says the same.

Man, RPS barely has anything positive to say: at several points he interrupts himself to point out that his overall opinion is favorable, but he spends very little time getting into why that is, and quite a lot of time talking about negatives.

I mean, it’s fine if he doesn’t like the game, but if he does like it, maybe he could spend more time explaining why.

Perhaps he has a companion review written somewhere on his HD wherein he spends the whole time talking about the game’s good points but in the end decides he doesn’t like it. That’d help. I’d just ignore the conclusion!

It happens the same to me, when I think about some work the first I do is to point out the negative points and the things that didn’t work out so well. I have to remind myself to also speak of the good things and why they were good.

I haven’t read the RPS review, but that Eurogamer review convinced me to start downloading the game this morning. Maybe I’ll put Fallout on hold for now. (Sorry Desslock!)

Doubt I’ll be playing tonight… :(

That isn’t a very fast Internet connection.

wait…

Ok then.

I may or may not have stayed up all night playing this spectacular game.

OK, I did.

Download finished? Check. Day off? Check. Ok Desert Rangers, here we go!

That guide mentioned melee characters. Do those really work out? It seems that in games with guns that melee guys seem like a bad idea.

That’s why I stick to PBEM! :)

WL2 really is spectacular so far. One of the best games I’ve played in many years. It’s much better than I hoped, much less expected.

If this is what they can do with Wasteland, I can’t wait to see Torment.

That’s incredibly encouraging to hear!

Excellent, now we just need Tom to give it 1 star.

I do have three related complaints.

First, you’re constantly disarming traps, unlocking doors, opening safes, fixing toasters, etc. That’s great. But you need to keep track of which of your 5+ dudes has each skill. Very annoying! When grouped, the game should automatically pick the dude with the highest skill. Conversation skills work similarly.

Second, the disarming traps, etc, takes too long. Is an 8 second long channel time really necessary?

Third, the system where you have an X% chance to succeed promotes quicksave/load until you get it right. I can’t stop myself from doing this. Would like it to have a better chance of initially working, and then never give another opportunity to unlock/etc until you increase your skill.

stusser, do you suppose your first complaint is something they could easily fix with a patch? Or perhaps modded?

Sounds good. WIll probably pick it up over the weekend.

But it has been in Early Access for some time - Why would you purchase it again? ;-)