Brian Michael Bendis signs exclusive with DC

Will DC actually be…fun again?

I’ve been out of the scene. Who’s at Marvel these days? Are they in good hands from a writer standpoint?

Kind of excited to see what Bendis does in that Universe. He certainly had an amazing run at Marvel.

I look forward to the Justice League being run by street level heroes out of a bar in New York.

I can’t answer any of your questions because I stopped collecting comics decades ago (no more closet space).

But I do remember a Simpsons quote from the Comic Book Guy: Brian Michael Bendis, you’ve done it again!

I don’t really know what he’s been like lately. He did some excellent comics. He also did some okay comics. The lazy narrative in my head is that he did all his best ideas and now he’s just a decent writer mimicking his past work (which is also what I think of Mark Miller), but that’s just me being cynical.

His Daredevil really was awesome, and I liked a lot of his New Avengers stuff. I never read Alias but obviously that’s highly regarded. Maybe his best work is ahead of him and DC will be the catalyst for that, who knows?

Wow. As a comics reader, this is a Big Deal. Bendis’ level of responsibility at Marvel is huge. Between crossover events and him working on all the MCU properties, he’s even bigger than Claremont was in the 80s. Like him or lump him, he’s had a lot of input in the direction the Marvel universe has taken over the last couple decades.

I guess this finally puts an end to Powers, though.

I lol’d.

And that about wraps up the top-tier writing talent exodus from Marvel. Soon, Soule, Pak, Aaron, and Slott will be too rich for Marvel’s tastes.

Not that I’ll miss Bendis’ tics: character-killing, incoherent event comics that don’t make sense if all you read is the event comics themselves, and making a point out of writing big-team books when that’s the kind of book he’s worst on. Street-level Bendis was very solid on Daredevil, he was even doing some interesting stuff with post-event Doom over the last year (in a book called something-something Iron Man for some dumbassed reason). But no, please write all of the damn Avengers books instead.

Wouldn’t be surprised to find out that there’s a creator-owned exception to the exclusivity.

Don’t forget how every character is just oh-so-witty and ready with a quip at all times.

(I don’t actually hate Bendis that much, I just think he only knows how to write one way. He’s good on books with few protagonists because he has fewer voices to differentiate. His Guardians of the Galaxy run from a few years ago was SO BAD.)

I don’t read an enormous number of mainstream comics, but DC’s been killing it for awhile now. Rebirth was actually really good.

I was thinking about what books he’d be good on when it hit me: Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Banter, hijinks, rapscallions. It would be perfect.