Brigador - fully destructible environments in quick sessions

Didn’t see another thread for this game and wonder if it went under this forum’s radar? I only learned about it from a RPS article earlier this week.

Got this on sale yesterday and am having a blast. The gameplay reminds me of those arcade games in the 1990s where you destroyed cities and armies as a Godzilla-like monster. The art style, music and story/lore (if you care) are quite good for this price.

One thing I really enjoy about this game is that it is designed in a way that makes 10-20 minute sessions very feasible. I go through ebbs and flows in my gaming enthusiasm, and at times (especially summer) I’m very reticent to fire up most of my library because essentially nothing can be accomplished in 10 minutes and I’d rather go out with friends or plow through a book somewhere with outdoor seating. This is a great title for those seasons, or when just looking to kill a few moments throughout the day.

I enjoyed Kaiju A-Go-Go well enough, it looks like this might scratch a similar itch. It was nice to just veg out and destroy humanity.

Brigador is discussed regularly in fit-all threads.
I didn’t like it, but I have exactly the contrary reaction to yours toward the game: I found the missions too long, the maps too large and the destruction overall unsastifying because of the minutia it required.

I’ve bounded off this game a couple of times, I am not sure why. Maybe its the keyboard and mouse controls. I wonder if it works with a controller? I should investigate.

They implemented gamepad controls “recently”, but it doesn’t work well in my experience, what with that “shot depth” mechanic of theirs that is meant for mouse aiming.
I think that 3rd axis in the way they handle shooting is what is turning me off the game. If I could simply destroy anything in the line of fire of my guns, I’d be happy with that. But then it would be a very different and much more common game!

I can understand some criticism of the control scheme - even with a mouse it is a little confusing at the start, and later on with new weapons. Some loadouts in the campaign are very glassy and feel like they need a perfect play to finish a level, although so far I’ve found there is always one choice that is relatively easy. I’ll save the glassy ones for later, if I feel like replaying levels. I’m enjoying learning it, for now, however.

Thanks for making the thread. This is one of those games I’ve thought about buying multiple times but just can’t decide if I will actually like it. Part of that is I’m simply not playing on PC recently. I’d get it on Switch in a heartbeat

REPORTED

I got it in a Humble Monthly and I had almost bought it like five times before that and I still haven’t tried it. I need to manufacture more hours in the day or something.

What?

Not you, the guy who was above you :)

I only really learned about this game due to its awesome soundtrack from the first VGM Thunderdome, but I admit I was intrigued!

Every time I hear about Brigador, I’m interested; every time I see a gameplay video, I stop being interested.

Right?

YouTube recommended me the soundtrack to this today, and I was like, “oh yeah, man I should play that some more, I wonder if there have been any updates,” and it turns out there is a sequel in the works: